My own tinkering journey

sleuth

Reaction score
Handicap
3.3 GHIN
So this all started late last season. I thought it was time to put my irons to pasture and find something more forgiving. I love everything about the club - thin sole, top line, and small head. Mishits are somewhat detrimental, however. Irons/wedges are the strongest part of my game, so it's not too often that I mishit my irons. Though, I've always wondered, would getting something a little more forgiving enhance my game? The consensus seems to be yes as we see Pro's playing AP2, J40 DPC, i20, etc. Why make the game harder then it already is?

My journey started at a Mizuno fitting with a Mizuno rep. We used the shaft optimizer to see what iron shafts I would be fit for. Went a few swings and he said Dynalite XP Gold. I was like... no way. I was pretty resistant to playing those shafts. He said they would give me optimal launch and spin numbers. He was fitting me for JPX825 Pro's and was hoping to get my 6i around 6500rpm. I didn't really argue with him, I just wanted to see what he thought. I don't have any raw data to provide from this fitting, and wish I did. But I left there thinking, there's no way I can play those iron shafts. They're too light, soft and launch far too high. And 6500 backspin? That just sounds like too much.

I continued demoing irons all winter. This is the first time I've actually invested time into launch data. I was brought up with swing coaches in the late 80's, early 90's who were pretty old school. Everything was fitted by eye, and that's just something I continued to do for myself. I've been using Foresight monitors to obtain all my launch data. The below are rough estimates.

Callaway Razr X Tour w/ DG S300
Ballspeed - 117mph
Launch angle - 20*
Backspin - 5800rpm
Peak Height - 39yds
Total Yards - 180yds

Adams CMB w/ C-Taper Stiff
Ballspeed - 117mph
Launch Angle 19*
Backspin - 6000rpm
Peak height - 38yds
Total Yards - 175yds

I also went on to test i20, 588CB, and Rocketbladez Tour. These all provided similar launch, with the exception of the 588CB with DG S300. I was launching this around 20-21*. A bit too high for my tastes. I like a mid penetrating flight. Playing golf in the Great Plaines means hella windy golf.

Here are my current launch numbers for my Adams Pro Golds w/ KBS Tour
AdamsGold_zps2bbc754f.jpg

I didn't think I was going to find a new set of irons at all based on the new releases. And then I demoed the XHot Pros with KBS Tour and just fell in love. These are it, I said. I placed an order which arrived just yesterday. Through all this I've been talking with fourwiggles and bellairemi. I've always considered counter weighting my clubs. Ever since seeing Sergio do this years ago and reading up on the matter. It always was an interest of mine to experiment. I just never went out and did it. Fourwiggle's pleas of counter wighting his putter resparked my interest. bellairemi has been in my corner being the voice in my head, as our local pro fitter, giving me ideas and entertaining my thoughts on how I approach my bag. Whether the Mizuno shaft optimizer told me I should be playing one shaft doesn't mean it's right. I think he said it best, if it feels good, have a consistent and playable ballflight don't tinker. So the reinforcement to stick with my decision and play the KBS Tour.

We continued to talk mechanics and I brought up the idea of counter balancing. I have a slight OTT downswing. It's not extreme by any means. If you were looking at the slot (which has a recent thread on it), I would be right at the top line, at times maybe just above it. This movement gives me a nice steep swing to hit down into the ball. I've been looking at ways to curb that steep movement, as it's detrimental for a driver. Voila! Counter balancing.

Instead of purchasing heavy weights, putting them under the grip to test, or buying other expensive weights I stopped by the hardware store and purchased 2 threaded bolts and 14 washers. I would thread the bolt and washers into the top end of the grip where it's tight enough that it won't move around.

20130314_131907_zps66b5414a.jpg

15g was a little too light, and 25g was a tad heavy. 20g is where I settled and the results were astounding. This allowed me to slightly drop my hands in the downswing and gave me control of the club that I felt like I didn't have before. It helped keep my wrist hinge in the downswing longer, and I believe this is the reason I'm producing faster ball speeds. From the camera recording my swing it looked like my hinge was holding a lot longer, and I was loading the shaft much better.

I hit 30 balls, only probably 2 of which were mishits. I miss fat, and not a single one was fat. That is the true story behind this - the resulting consistency. Everything was off the middle of the clubface. I know I mentioned earlier I was a good iron striker, but now I feel like an amazing iron striker.

Here is a small sample of the results of my XHot Pro 6i, KBS Tour and 20g Counter weight

20130314_135949_zps60691662.jpg

Those were the last 6 swings of my practice session. I mishit the last one slightly and scooped it, so 5/6 solid strikes is a number I'll always take. My clubhead speed, ball speed increased quite noticeably. According to the monitor I gained 10 yards of carry. The surprising number on the monitor is the backspin. I really don't know how to make heads or tails of it. It's just a calculated number, so I'll have to see on the course results first before I freak out or panic, but 5,000rpm is a little low. Funny thing? This generated less spin and only rolled 12 yards, while my Pro Gold launch numbers generated 5500rpm backspin and rolled 16 yards. You can see the Foresight data is setup differently and the latter is updated software. So I have to wager something changed in the calculation logic. However, I'd have to call Foresight and get more info to figure that out. My personal take is that I just can't trust the 12 yard or 16 yard roll the launch monitor is spitting out. Don't get me wrong, it's a good base but I will have to wait and see on the course results when I'm hitting into a green. From my own personal experience my 6i would roll out roughly 5 yards, 10 yards as an extreme.

Where do I go from here? Well, the testing will have to continue and see if counter weighting will be beneficial on my wedges, hybrids, woods and driver. In the time being, I'm likely going to look into Tour Lock Pros and get a set of 20g weights for my irons.

Just wanted to share my short/long thoughtful tinkering process and give personal thanks to Fourwiggles and bellairemi. It's always fun to do, but even more rewarding when it actually works.

It sounds like this tinkering has improved your ball striking consistency.

Keep us updated on how this works on the course for you.

Great post. These are useful observations. I need to go ponder now.

Sleuth,

That counterweighting idea was inspired. As I noted to you, you fit the model player for whom counterweighting is often successful - good swing, feel for differences in shafts and contact trending towards the toe. I'll be interested to see what weights (if any) work for the other clubs. This is really exciting to say the least.

So this all started late last season. I thought it was time to put my irons to pasture and find something more forgiving. I love everything about the club - thin sole, top line, and small head. Mishits are somewhat detrimental, however. Irons/wedges are the strongest part of my game, so it's not too often that I mishit my irons. Though, I've always wondered, would getting something a little more forgiving enhance my game? The consensus seems to be yes as we see Pro's playing AP2, J40 DPC, i20, etc. Why make the game harder then it already is?

My journey started at a Mizuno fitting with a Mizuno rep. We used the shaft optimizer to see what iron shafts I would be fit for. Went a few swings and he said Dynalite XP Gold. I was like... no way. I was pretty resistant to playing those shafts. He said they would give me optimal launch and spin numbers. He was fitting me for JPX825 Pro's and was hoping to get my 6i around 6500rpm. I didn't really argue with him, I just wanted to see what he thought. I don't have any raw data to provide from this fitting, and wish I did. But I left there thinking, there's no way I can play those iron shafts. They're too light, soft and launch far too high. And 6500 backspin? That just sounds like too much.

I continued demoing irons all winter. This is the first time I've actually invested time into launch data. I was brought up with swing coaches in the late 80's, early 90's who were pretty old school. Everything was fitted by eye, and that's just something I continued to do for myself. I've been using Foresight monitors to obtain all my launch data. The below are rough estimates.

Callaway Razr X Tour w/ DG S300
Ballspeed - 117mph
Launch angle - 20*
Backspin - 5800rpm
Peak Height - 39yds
Total Yards - 180yds

Adams CMB w/ C-Taper Stiff
Ballspeed - 117mph
Launch Angle 19*
Backspin - 6000rpm
Peak height - 38yds
Total Yards - 175yds

I also went on to test i20, 588CB, and Rocketbladez Tour. These all provided similar launch, with the exception of the 588CB with DG S300. I was launching this around 20-21*. A bit too high for my tastes. I like a mid penetrating flight. Playing golf in the Great Plaines means hella windy golf.

Here are my current launch numbers for my Adams Pro Golds w/ KBS Tour
AdamsGold_zps2bbc754f.jpg

I didn't think I was going to find a new set of irons at all based on the new releases. And then I demoed the XHot Pros with KBS Tour and just fell in love. These are it, I said. I placed an order which arrived just yesterday. Through all this I've been talking with fourwiggles and bellairemi. I've always considered counter weighting my clubs. Ever since seeing Sergio do this years ago and reading up on the matter. It always was an interest of mine to experiment. I just never went out and did it. Fourwiggle's pleas of counter wighting his putter resparked my interest. bellairemi has been in my corner being the voice in my head, as our local pro fitter, giving me ideas and entertaining my thoughts on how I approach my bag. Whether the Mizuno shaft optimizer told me I should be playing one shaft doesn't mean it's right. I think he said it best, if it feels good, have a consistent and playable ballflight don't tinker. So the reinforcement to stick with my decision and play the KBS Tour.

We continued to talk mechanics and I brought up the idea of counter balancing. I have a slight OTT downswing. It's not extreme by any means. If you were looking at the slot (which has a recent thread on it), I would be right at the top line, at times maybe just above it. This movement gives me a nice steep swing to hit down into the ball. I've been looking at ways to curb that steep movement, as it's detrimental for a driver. Voila! Counter balancing.

Instead of purchasing heavy weights, putting them under the grip to test, or buying other expensive weights I stopped by the hardware store and purchased 2 threaded bolts and 14 washers. I would thread the bolt and washers into the top end of the grip where it's tight enough that it won't move around.

20130314_131907_zps66b5414a.jpg

15g was a little too light, and 25g was a tad heavy. 20g is where I settled and the results were astounding. This allowed me to slightly drop my hands in the downswing and gave me control of the club that I felt like I didn't have before. It helped keep my wrist hinge in the downswing longer, and I believe this is the reason I'm producing faster ball speeds. From the camera recording my swing it looked like my hinge was holding a lot longer, and I was loading the shaft much better.

I hit 30 balls, only probably 2 of which were mishits. I miss fat, and not a single one was fat. That is the true story behind this - the resulting consistency. Everything was off the middle of the clubface. I know I mentioned earlier I was a good iron striker, but now I feel like an amazing iron striker.

Here is a small sample of the results of my XHot Pro 6i, KBS Tour and 20g Counter weight

20130314_135949_zps60691662.jpg

Those were the last 6 swings of my practice session. I mishit the last one slightly and scooped it, so 5/6 solid strikes is a number I'll always take. My clubhead speed, ball speed increased quite noticeably. According to the monitor I gained 10 yards of carry. The surprising number on the monitor is the backspin. I really don't know how to make heads or tails of it. It's just a calculated number, so I'll have to see on the course results first before I freak out or panic, but 5,000rpm is a little low. Funny thing? This generated less spin and only rolled 12 yards, while my Pro Gold launch numbers generated 5500rpm backspin and rolled 16 yards. You can see the Foresight data is setup differently and the latter is updated software. So I have to wager something changed in the calculation logic. However, I'd have to call Foresight and get more info to figure that out. My personal take is that I just can't trust the 12 yard or 16 yard roll the launch monitor is spitting out. Don't get me wrong, it's a good base but I will have to wait and see on the course results when I'm hitting into a green. From my own personal experience my 6i would roll out roughly 5 yards, 10 yards as an extreme.

Where do I go from here? Well, the testing will have to continue and see if counter weighting will be beneficial on my wedges, hybrids, woods and driver. In the time being, I'm likely going to look into Tour Lock Pros and get a set of 20g weights for my irons.

Just wanted to share my short/long thoughtful tinkering process and give personal thanks to Fourwiggles and bellairemi. It's always fun to do, but even more rewarding when it actually works.

Thanks for the info; it was an interesting read. I love to tinker as well and my be heading off to the garage to look for some bolts and washers. I got the free secret grip on my driver and it has straightened my ball flight so backweighting has proven beneficial on that club.

I'll be interested to see what weights (if any) work for the other clubs. This is really exciting to say the least.

Interesting to note that you said to see if any weight works in the other clubs. Is the thought that practicing with the weighted club will provide the necessary swing memory to be able to replicate with other clubs? Also, since you seem to be pretty knowledgeable about this, does the weight typically vary between clubs?

Usually all the irons work with the same weight and often the wedges. Once you get to the woods, especially if you are moving from steel to graphite, it often takes a little more weight to have the same benefit.

This is not a practice tool - he'll be adding the true counterweights to the clubs. Plenty of PGA pros have counterweighted clubs - Sergio being one of the most visible. Nicklaus did the old school way by adding lead tape under the grip.

Interesting to note that you said to see if any weight works in the other clubs. Is the thought that practicing with the weighted club will provide the necessary swing memory to be able to replicate with other clubs? Also, since you seem to be pretty knowledgeable about this, does the weight typically vary between clubs?

Usually all the irons work with the same weight and often the wedges. Once you get to the woods, especially if you are moving from steel to graphite, it often takes a little more weight to have the same benefit.

This is not a practice tool - he'll be adding the true counterweights to the clubs. Plenty of PGA pros have counterweighted clubs - Sergio being one of the most visible. Nicklaus did the old school way by adding lead tape under the grip.

Thanks for the clarification. Wasn't clear to me if the weight was individual club based or across "like" clubs.

I was aware of the used of backweighting and have experimented with putters and with the driver. Just never carried it over to the irons.

I went ahead and ordered 20g x 8 for my irons, 40g for my driver, 30g for my hybrd/woods/wedges, and 75g for one of my putters. Personally, I didn't feel I needed the weights in the woods, hybrids and wedges but still worth a continued experiment on the course this spring. I'll post feedback as I continue this adventure.

I know there's another thread on putter counter balancing, but I have to say that this has me really excited. From my own testing with weighing and stacking washers on my putter, I've noticed a considerable improvement in my stroke. By moving the weight away from the clubhead I feel like I'm more resistant to twisting during my stroke. The issue I have with my putting is the 4-6ft range. I guess you can call this the yips, but my tempo is just terrible. From a couple hours testing on my Big Moss, I think the added weight to the butt will improve my tempo. More feedback to come on this during the season.

Fantastic thread! Fascinating info. I just had a fitting where the fitter kept telling me I needed a little more weight in the butt...and this thread helps me understand why!

Did you have an issue installing the tour locks into the graphite shafts? I purchased a couple weights to experiment with, however the butt of the graphite iron shafts is too small to insert the tour lock.

Did you have an issue installing the tour locks into the graphite shafts? I purchased a couple weights to experiment with, however the butt of the graphite iron shafts is too small to insert the tour lock.
I did not have issues in my woods/hybrids. Do you have extensions in the shafts? If not, you can try to file away some material off the bottom part of the weight. Don't force it in if you think it'll be a real tight fit. It's going to be a real PITA getting the weight back out.

These graphite iron shafts the inner diameter is too small. Tried modifying the tour lock and no go. Looks like I will have to use some bolts in the end of the shaft to weight them. Luckily found a few in the garage that are almost the weight I need. Maybe with a washer they will be just right or take the scale with me to lowes and start weighing bolts in the store lol.

great read , I have read a bit about this before and im curious how you settled on the weight
what was it that made you decide on 20 grams.was it a feel you were looking for
and how did you decide upon the 40 grams for the driver
cheers

great read , I have read a bit about this before and im curious how you settled on the weight
what was it that made you decide on 20 grams.was it a feel you were looking for
and how did you decide upon the 40 grams for the driver
cheers

It was based on feel and consistency. You can use some impact tape, or any masking tape for that matter, put it on the club face and see if it improves your ball contact.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I knew nothing about this product. I've done back weighting the old fashioned way with tungsten powder and plastic inserts. This looks fantastic. The website doesn't really elaborate too much on which product does what. Great stuff though

Back