Thoughts on local amateur tourneys

joebute

Reaction score
Handicap
This year I'd really like to play in more tournaments (not scramble)- nothing too competitive (I'm not exactly ready for the tour...yet). I got my first taste of tournament golf at a 2 day muni event last summer and had a lot of fun. I really enjoyed the feeling of having every shot count, and left the experience feeling like playing a few tournaments each year might bring more purpose to my everyday rounds. I looked online for some local events, and it looks like our metropolitan amateur golf ass'n has a tourney series with net and gross divisions to accommodate all abilities. Seems like it could be what I'm looking for - does anyone have thoughts on these types of events? My main concerns would be that they're not well attended, or that I'd feel out of place given my handicap (I.e. holding up groups of <10 hc'ers, etc). Not sure if there's anything else I should think about.

I agree. The Golfweek Tour would be a great start for you. Good competition in a flight that fits your game. I completely endorse this tour for anyone that is looking for a competitive tourney.

I recommend checking out the THP Invitational in your home state. Always open to EVERY skill level and based on the kick off event this weekend in Dallas, an amazing time.

I recommend checking out the THP Invitational in your home state. Always open to EVERY skill level and based on the kick off event this weekend in Dallas, an amazing time.

I wondered if that would come up! These look like a lot of fun, and I'm really hoping to make one of these work - Branson or Chicago will be my best bets. I can't believe how many golfweek tour events there are! Springfield, MO is about the closest to me on those, but with family down there and just a three hour a drive I might be able to make that happen too!

When I was a junior golfer, I played in a lot of larger scale tournaments, but also played all the local events I could as well. I think they are great, and I would recommend you checking them out.

Most local am stuff is Flighted (IME), so you should be fine there.

If the Golfweek league doesn't work out (hope it does, I like it myself), but you can call the local courses and ask them. Some have leagues listed on the club websites. Last ditch effort, start your own 9 hole league :)

Back