julie_m

EveryoneLovesACallyGirl
Reaction score
Fantastic? Funny? Just plain dumb?

I'll start...

World News Tonight, Charles Gibson:
"The birth rate has dropped for the first time in a decade. No one knows why, but experts speculate people are simply having fewer babies."

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -- Albert Einstein ...

George Orwell and Dean Koontz quote in my sig

plus one of my fav's from C. S. Lewis:

"A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell."

Plus some Teddy Roosevelt for all to enjoy :D :

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

"Every immigrant who comes here should be required within five years to learn English or leave the country."

"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards."

"Freedom from effort in the present merely means that there has been effort stored up in the past."

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him -- Jesus Christ (John 3:16 ESV translation)

In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. -- Thomas Jefferson

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give. --Winston Churchill

Ahacker's Hacker: LOVE the ESV, one of my favorite's aside from NAS.

To stay OT here is one I find EXTREMELY funny though we cannot be asolutely certain 100% of its veracity, never-the-less it's still funny:

"One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine..."
- From a Soviet Junior Lt's Notebook circa 1950's

Here are some more:

"The best tank terrain is that without anti-tank weapons."
-Russian military doctrine.

"The reason the American Army does so well in wartime, is that war is chaos, and the American Army practices it on a daily basis."
- from a post-war debriefing of a German General

By the way, you don't have to be sweaty and holding a basketball to enjoy a Gatorade. You could just be...a thirsty dude! Gatorade forgets about this demographic! - - - Mitch Hedberg

Honesty may be the best policy, but it’s important to remember that apparently, by elimination, dishonesty is the second-best policy. - - - George Carlin

I don`t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody. - - - Bill Cosby

By the way, you don't have to be sweaty and holding a basketball to enjoy a Gatorade. You could just be...a thirsty dude! Gatorade forgets about this demographic! - - - Mitch Hedberg

Is it all right if I have some Gatorade or does that lightning bolf mean no...?
- Paraphrased cont of Mitch Hedberg

I just got some tartar control toothpaste... oh, I still have tartar, but that sh#t's under control.
- more Mitch Hedberg

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives."

-Smedley Darlington Butler, Major General - United States Marine Corps (1933)

As long as war is regarded as wicked, it will always have its fascination. When it is looked upon as vulgar, it will cease to be popular.

-Oscar Wilde

True power is when we have every justification to kill, and don't.

-Oscar Schindler

In order to rally people, governments need enemies. They want us to be afraid, to hate, so we will rally behind them.

-Thich Nhat Hanh

The sad truth is that most evil is done by people who never make up their minds to be good or evil.

-Hannah Arendt

The belief in the possibility of a short decisive war appears to be one of the most ancient and dangerous of human illusions.

-Robert Lynd

-JP

"Money may not buy love or happiness, but it can buy the most remarkable substitutes.''

--Rhett Butler, in Gone With the Wind.

You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take. - - - Wayne Gretzky

Work like you don’t need money, love like you’ve never been hurt, and dance like no one’s watching. - - - Unknown Author

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand. - - - Kurt Vonnegut

Before I got married I had six theories about bringing up children; now I have six children and no theories. - - - John Wilmot

We learn something every day, and lots of times it’s that what we learned the day before was wrong. - - - Bill Vaughan

Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn’t. - - - Erica Jong

Some Scottish ones-

Be happy while you're living, For you're a long time dead.

What may be done at any time will be done at no time.

Better bend than break.

Learn young, learn fair; learn old, learn more.

Get what you can and keep what you have; that's the way to get rich.

Willful waste makes woeful want.

When the heart is full the tongue will speak.

Be slow in choosing a friend but slower in changing him.

Fools look to tomorrow. Wise men use tonight.

Confessed faults are half mended.

They that will not be counselled cannot be helped.

Never let your feet run faster than your shoes.

They that sow the wind, shall reap the whirlwind.

Luck never gives; it only lends.

Better be ill spoken of by one before all than by all before one.

This has been my fav for years: In dealing with people I use it as my mantra.

As a rule a man's a fool
When it's hot he wants it cool
And when it's cool he wants it hot
Always wanting what is not

Someone gave this one to me long ago at a time when I needed to hear it.

"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead." ~ Albert Einstein

"There is no charge for the awesomeness"

- Dragon Warrior Po, the Kung Fu Panda

"Beans, beans, the magical fruit . . ."

How did I get involved in this?:act-up:

Well played sir. Well played.
Monocle.gif

"'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all." - Alfred Lord Tennyson.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln

This is corny, but I'm always in awe of who said it:

In the midst of winter I learned there was within me an invincible summer--Albert Camus

Quite a change from Sisyphus. Though I suppose it depends on how you read Sisyphus.

I especially like the fourth one. At least he had a sense of humor!

"It depends on what the meaning of the words 'is' is." –Bill Clinton, during his 1998 grand jury testimony on the Monica Lewinsky affair

"It depends on how you define alone…" –Bill Clinton, in his grand jury testimony

"There were a lot of times when we were alone, but I never really thought we were." –Bill Clinton, in his grand jury testimony

"What's a man got to do to get in the top fifty?" –Bill Clinton, reacting to a survey of journalists that ranked the Monica Lewinsky scandal as the 53rd most significant story of the century

These are just humorous:

"You know, if I were a single man, I might ask that mummy out. That's a good-looking mummy" —Bill Clinton, looking at "Juanita," a newly discovered Incan mummy on display at the National Geographic museum

"The economy has produced 6.1 million jobs since I became president, and if Michael Jordan comes back to the Bulls, it will be 6,100,001 jobs." –Bill Clinton, in 1995

"You'd think he was running for First Lady." –Bill Clinton, on George H. W. Bush's criticism of Hillary Clinton

"If President Reagan could be an actor and become president, maybe I could become an actor. I've got a good pension. I can work for cheap." -Bill Clinton, at a Hollywood fundraiser

"I may not have been the greatest president, but I've had the most fun eight years." –Bill Clinton

Back