The good, the bad and the ugly

Masonicus

Bunker Archaeologist
Reaction score
Handicap
OMG
I played 9 today with a buddy. My first 5 holes were outstanding, 3 pars, 2 birdies. My drives were long and straight, my 7 iron was singing, my wedges shots were landing softly upon the greens and stopping nicely and my putter had missile lock on every hole. I was on cloud nine...until the 6th hole...then the wheels fell off, the roof caved in and the engine blew...hosel rockets, chunks, skills,slices, yips...its like the Golf Gods decided to bless me with skill overload just to take it away and laugh their asses off....still better than going to work I guess.

Last edited:
My buddy said it was because I didn't make my traditional wet ball sacrifice to the pond goddess on the 4th hole

Obviously there's no way to know what the issue was, but when I get the shanks, it's usually from crowding the ball. It's probably something simple.

I was rushing and wasn't paying attention to my setup and follow through. Once I got my mojo back the 8th and 9th were fine but 6 and 7 were demon posessed!

Probably 10 years ago I started a round -1 thru 7 holes. I was on pace for a personal best by 6 or 7 strokes for the front 9. I knew I was playing well but didn't know I was under par until my playing partner yells out "25!" Finished triple-triple, 8-7 & didn't even break 40.

There is a local tourney every year for two man teams called "The Good, the Bad & the Ugly". Starts out with holes 1 -6 as a scramble. Then 6 holes best ball, then 6 holes of alternate shot. The course finishes with 4 of the toughest holes on the course in the final 6 & if you get unlucky & have to start on 13 or 14 it can lead to some really high scores, even for decent golfers.

Golf is hard

I was rushing and wasn't paying attention to my setup and follow through. Once I got my mojo back the 8th and 9th were fine but 6 and 7 were demon posessed!

Glad you got it worked out!

Back