Ever play Pebble Beach?

clg82

Banned
Reaction score
Just curioius, I was looking at some vacation packages for there and wanted to know if anyone had enjoyed playing there or not. If so any comments would be appreciated,was it very busy? except about how extremly expensive it is!

I have played it a few times. It is a fun time. If you do go, make sure you include Spyglass, which I believe is a tougher course than Pebble.

I have played it a few times. It is a fun time. If you do go, make sure you include Spyglass, which I believe is a tougher course than Pebble.

Pebble and Spyglass are two courses I want to play. The price tag is what's keeping me away. Maybe for my 50th birthday I'll get to play them.

Pebble and Spyglass are two courses I want to play. The price tag is what's keeping me away. Maybe for my 50th birthday I'll get to play them.

Tell me about it! The "vacation" package I found on Pebblebeach .com said that you could play all three courses, three night stay, and three 50 minute massages (for the wife) for $3,600.00 Kind of steep but worth a weekend away. I was just worried about too many people being there because I hate holding other golfers up!

You will not have to worry about holding up golfers at Pebble. Just don't get a real early tee time. By the time the mid-morning tee times go off, it will be 5-5.5 hour round. Spyglass is different. It will probably be quicker, say 4.5-5 hours depending on when you tee off. You have to play Pebble because it's Pebble, but golfers often prefer Spyglass as a golf course. I certainly do. I've played Pebble once and don't need to go back.

September and October are great months to go! Summers there are typically foggy and cold. As it starts to cool down in the fall, the marine layer dissipates and you can get nice sunny days.

One thing you might want to consider is joining the NCGA (Northern CA Golf Association). Members receive invitations for specials. I played Spy for $185 on a weekend. I recall Pebble was $350 or so. They also had special rates at the Inn at Spanish Bay.

You will not have to worry about holding up golfers at Pebble. Just don't get a real early tee time. By the time the mid-morning tee times go off, it will be 5-5.5 hour round. Spyglass is different. It will probably be quicker, say 4.5-5 hours depending on when you tee off. You have to play Pebble because it's Pebble, but golfers often prefer Spyglass as a golf course. I certainly do. I've played Pebble once and don't need to go back.

September and October are great months to go! Summers there are typically foggy and cold. As it starts to cool down in the fall, the marine layer dissipates and you can get nice sunny days.

One thing you might want to consider is joining the NCGA (Northern CA Golf Association). Members receive invitations for specials. I played Spy for $185 on a weekend. I recall Pebble was $350 or so. They also had special rates at the Inn at Spanish Bay.

Thanks for the suggestion I will definatley be looking into that!

I missed an opportunity to play there almost 30 years ago and haven't been back since. I would like to go back some day, it was a huge mistake not to play when I had the chance. I recall the green fee was just over $100 at that time.

Ive played pebble and spyglass and liked them both a lot. Was it worth it? I don't, but boy was it nice!

Tell me about it! The "vacation" package I found on Pebblebeach .com said that you could play all three courses, three night stay, and three 50 minute massages (for the wife) for $3,600.00 Kind of steep but worth a weekend away. I was just worried about too many people being there because I hate holding other golfers up!

Exactly. Plus I'd have to pony up for airfare. So I'm probably looking at $5,000+. :sad: Maybe right after I hit the lottery and buy my new cars and house I'll have a little left and can play Pebble and Spyglass Hill.

The golf inland is just as awsome for far much cheaper

If you are staying in that area, the two courses that are great bargains are Poppy Hills and Pacific grove. Both are within a few miles of Pebble and are great deals. (Hint: Poppy Hills is a NCGA home course so members get a huge discount.)

There are two courses at the old Fort Ord military base, Blackhorse and Bayonet (Bayonet being the tougher of the two).

A little up the coast is Pasatiempo, an Alistair MacKenzie course that is ranked amongst the best. It is an absolute joy! It helps to have a good short game here. It's a bit more expensive than the above but a whole lot cheaper than Spy or Pebble.

A little further away and inland, there is San Juan Oaks, a Fred Couples design, which is a great course. There are many others, but for a long weekend up this way, those are the ones I would focus on.

Best: Pasatiempo
Incredible bargain: Pacific Grove
Best bang for the buck: Poppy Hills, followed by San Juan Oaks

Back