Official College Football Thread (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big 10 (11 they can't even count) is way over rated. I used to like Michigan when Schembechler was there, they had some great teams and the rivalry with Holtz's Fighting Irish was epic.

Is anybody else surprised by Miami this year? They have looked solid in both games I've watched this year.

Big 10 (11 they can't even count) is way over rated. I used to like Michigan when Schembechler was there, they had some great teams and the rivalry with Holtz's Fighting Irish was epic.

Is anybody else surprised by Miami this year? They have looked solid in both games I've watched this year.

They do look good this year. I hate the Canes.

Something has to give. Tress or Prior or.... Did anyone see how big the chicken bone was that they all choked on??? :angry: There was a time that I tried to defend Tress and OSU but I am no longer going to defend them. They are overrated and Prior should have sent packing long ago when he was "holding out" on signing with a school. Maybe Tress needs to take a page out of Rich Rod's play book and practice the kids over what is allowed. Atleast Michigan played a full 60 minutes. And the reporter should have b*tch slapped Tress at half time when she asked what the hell he was thinking on that last drive and throwing the ball twice. "Well we didn't complete them." No carp, everyone in the stadium noticed that. The only time he opened the play book up and it bit him in the ass and then he tucked his tail the rest of the game.

To coach Tressel: Grow a set. Let the team play. Give them a chance to win and not a chance to lose.

Prior is not that great a passer if you ask me, reminds me of Vince Young more than anyone else. Tressel looks like he is trying to keep him from freelancing too much and at Texas they lost a few games until the coach there turned Vince loose. After that they won what 19 of 20 games or something like that over a couple of years.

If Prior is Vince Young they would be thrilled. Vince won a National Championship. But it took him a few years to get acclimated. Prior is still young, but lets not forget that you could put Vince Young back there right now and OSU does not compete for a national championship.

be careful....Penn St might make a run at the BCS title this year as well as the Big 10 title....

They will make a run. They play nobody most of the year. Then they will get KILLED by Texas or FL. This happens every single year.

If Prior is Vince Young they would be thrilled. Vince won a National Championship. But it took him a few years to get acclimated. Prior is still young, but lets not forget that you could put Vince Young back there right now and OSU does not compete for a national championship.

He reminds me of Vince Young, not sure he is as talented however.

USC goes down today. UF gets a scare from Tennessee. FSU destroys BYU. Texas struggling with Tech at halftime.

Very good week. Some of the other teams had easier games, but this was a great week.

Oregon beat Utah also. That was a surprise, I expected Utah to stay undefeated until they played BYU with that game deciding which of them got to fight it out with Boise State on who plays BCS-buster at the end of the season.

Also, Miami upset Georgia Tech. Should be some shuffling of the rankings after this week.

Georgia is losing to Arkansas right now, and Texas is in front of Texas Tech.

Last edited:
I think someone decided that defense was optional in the Georgia-Arkansas game.

Also, Miami upset Georgia Tech. Should be some shuffling of the rankings after this week.

Georgia is losing to Arkansas right now, and Texas is in front of Texas Tech.

It isn't an upset when the better team wins.

When #20 beats #14, it's technically an upset. Nowhere near as big a one as USC losing to Washington though.

Just looked at the rankings - damn Miami moved up a long ways on that win - #20 to #9 in the AP.

Last night proved why preseason polls don't mean a whole lot. The #4 team should be able to win a game on the road and not look like crap (USC included). Just goes to show that the second half and bowl game of the prior season doesn't really mean much no matter how many players return.

From what I saw last night, no way is Ole Miss a top 10 team. They are nowhere close to the level of Alabama and LSU of their own division.

Ole Miss is overrated and proved it last night. SEC hype only gets you so far

Better late than never! Two losses in a row for my team. They pretty much have their backs to the wall and have to have an extended winning streak starting right about now to have a chance at the playoffs. (They have playoffs in D-II).

http://www.pittstategorillas.com/home/detail.dot?id=128773

September 19, 2009

Miscues Cost No. 11 Gorillas 23-14 Defeat to No. 12 Mules

WARRENSBURG, Mo. -- The University of Central Missouri capitalized on a pair of big plays in special teams in the first half and a pair of defensive stops in the third quarter to claim a 23-14 victory over Pittsburg State University Saturday (Sept. 19) at Audrey J. Walton Stadium.

The 12th-ranked Mules (4-0, 2-0 MIAA) handed the 11th-ranked Gorillas (2-2, 0-2 MIAA) their second straight conference loss -- just the second time in 21 years as a conference member Pitt State has suffered consecutive MIAA defeats.

Pitt State limited UCM to 227 yards of total offense in the game and just 74 total yards in the second half, but the Mules made the most of field possession to claim just their seventh all-time win in 47 tries in the series.

Bobby Guillory return the opening kickoff 97 yards for a score 14 seconds in the contest for the Mules. UCM stretched the margin to 14-0 with 1:02 to play in the opening period when Guillory hauled in an 18-yard touchdown pass from Eric Znerniewski two plays after PSU's John McCoy fumbled at the PSU 23.

Anthony Stewart made it a 20-0 advantage for the Mules when he scored from six yards out with 10:45 remaining in the second quarter. That drive was set up two plays before, when the Mules blocked a Jared Witter punt attenpt at the PSu 6.

Aaron Jamieson converted a 43-yard field goal with 57 seconds to play in the half to make it a 23-0 margin for the Mules.

The Gorillas, with backup quarterback Jeff Smith replacing an injured McCoy, tried to rally in the third quarter.

Pitt State engineered a 14-play, 73-yard drive to open the third period, but the Gorillas came away empty when Smith was stopped inches short of the goal line on 4th-and-goal from the UCM 1.

The Gorillas forced a UCM punt and Pitt State finally cashed in two plays later when Smith fired a 53-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver John Thomas with 5:36 to play in the third quarter. Pitt State elected to go for a 2-point conversion, and Smith's pass for Aaron Sawyer fell incomplete.

The Pitt State defense forced a 3-and-out and the Gorillas offense again drove deep into Mules territory. This time, the UCM defense stopped Smith's quarterback keeper on a 4th-and-1 play at the UCM 23, leaving UCM with a 23-6 lead with 22 seconds to play in the period.

Following yet another UCM punt, the Gorillas put together a 16-play, 91-yard drive, with Cardell Clemons, in his Pitt State season debut, capping the drive with a 1-yard run with 5:04 to play in the game. Smith carried the ball in on a 2-point conversion try to make it 23-14.

The Gorillas came up with yet another 3-and-out on the Mules offense, getting the ball back at the PSU 17 with 3:14 to play. UCM's Randy Shepherd came away with a game-clinching interception of Smith three plays later though.

The Mules, held without a second-half first down, got an 18-yard connection from Czerniewski to Stewart on a 3rd-and-7 play and then added a pair of runs that netted 13 yards by Stewart for a final first down to seal the win.

For the Gorillas, Smith completed 15 of 25 passes for 204 yards, one touchdown and two interceptions. He also carried the ball a game-high 15 times for a team-leading 52 yards.

Terrance Isaac added 10 carries for 41 yards, while Clemons had six carries for 24 yards.

Kendall Fisher had a game-high seven receptions for 99 yards, while Thomas had four grabs for 74 yards.

The Gorillas outgained the Mules, 370-227 in the game.

Czerniewski completed 16 of 28 passes for 146 yards for the Mules, while Stewart led the UCM ground gainers with 14 carries for 53 yards.

Antonio Graham logged a team-leading eight tackles with 1.5 TFLs for the Gorillas, while Chadd Snyder added seven stops and a pair of pass breakups. UCM's Calvin Patterson registered a game-high 14 tackles, a fumble recovery and a pass breakup.

The Gorillas open conference play 0-2 for the first time since the 1977 season when Pitt State struggled to a 1-8-1 overall record.

Pitt State will return home to face Missouri Western State University next Saturday (Sept. 26). The unbeaten Griffons claimed a 37-34 win over No. 25 Washburn University Saturday night.

Watching the Gators game with GG and Tebow just got sacked and injured. He appears to be okay and that is good. However I must say I do not feel so bad now that I know he is not harmed. They are up 31-7 late in the 3rd quarter and are in shotgun formation with 5 WRs. They are trying to run up the score and did not expect a blitz. If they were not trying to run up the score, it would not have happened.

Watching the Gators game with GG and Tebow just got sacked and injured. He appears to be okay and that is good. However I must say I do not feel so bad now that I know he is not harmed. They are up 31-7 late in the 3rd quarter and are in shotgun formation with 5 WRs. They are trying to run up the score and did not expect a blitz. If they were not trying to run up the score, it would not have happened.

Good thing for Florida is that they have a week off before they play LSU. I wonder if this will make him a little more gun shy about taking on some of the bigger defenders. A concussion will change the way you think about taking hits.

Glad Wisconsin won against Michigan St but where is their killer instinct? Up 38-14 with 11 minutes left they let their guard down & backed off. Let 16 easy points get rung up for no reason other than they seem to be backing off. I say run the score up if you can, put your foot on the opponents throat & don't let up.

They will make a run. They play nobody most of the year. Then they will get KILLED by Texas or FL. This happens every single year.

Or Iowa.

USA Today Coaches Poll still has Penn St ahead of Iowa after Iowa beat them this weekend. This is the problem with the voting. They lost at home and it is still early. It is not as if they both have one loss, Iowa is still undefeated. Im trying to find an argument for this one. Just like I am still trying to figure out how Ohio St is a top 10 team right now. The rankings make no sense.

While I have never been one for conspiracy theories, over the last few years college football sure seems to be predetermined. Whomever the writers (I know it doesn't factor into the BCS, but they still have an influence) and other pollsters want to play in the BCS games, they can get them.

Ohio St. has no offense at all, and yet there they are, hanging around in the top-10. Mostly because they have a great following and will sell tickets to a bowl game and get a good rating.

Obviously no one gave Iowa any respect to start the season so there is no way they will climb into the top-10 unless a bunch more teams lose, even if they stay undefeated. No one wants Iowa in a big game, so it will be made sure they don't play in one. Their quarterback isn't very good and won't win any games by himself, so I don't see them going very far anyway, they will get a couple of losses.

Outside of a first half a couple weeks ago Missouri has played very well. But since they lost some key players they will got no love preseason so they have no chance of breaking into the top 20 unless they win next week against Nebraska. I know they haven't played much of a schedule, but neither has anyone else.

I haven't seen Auburn play, but they are undefeated and from what I have read, they have looked very good. They are not even in the top-25. I guess they weren't supposed to be good, so there is no way they could actually be good.

That is my rant. I love college football, but more an more it just seems like it is decided before the season starts who the good teams are, and if you're not one of them, you are just out of luck. No matter how good you actually are, or how bad some other team is.

I agree with some of it STL, but not the fact that it is predetermined because of tix sales. There are plenty of bowls that will get teams that are big names (Notre Dame, etc) but teams find a way. Look at USF 2 years ago. Not ranked in the preseason and they moved to number 2 in the country by week 9. It can happen, but it is all about who you play. Mizzou has played absolutely nobody and beating Nebraska is not an amazing feat anymore. Although if they do, they would be a bubble 25 team. Auburn has also played NOBODY and in the SEC, playing nobody is not the same if you do not have all world talent. (enter UF).

I agree about just about anything in the Big 10 this year. They must really want to see a Big 10 team represented because they continue to lose year after year and still get the bids.

PSU spit the bit on Sat. Can't turn the ball over that much and expect to win. At least Teblow got his bell rung. :bulgy-eyes: Sorry GG! :bananadance:

USA Today Coaches Poll still has Penn St ahead of Iowa after Iowa beat them this weekend. This is the problem with the voting. They lost at home and it is still early. It is not as if they both have one loss, Iowa is still undefeated. Im trying to find an argument for this one. Just like I am still trying to figure out how Ohio St is a top 10 team right now. The rankings make no sense.

I agree. After Oregon's blowout of Cal, The AP poll has Oregon at 16 and Cal at 24, but the USA/Coaches poll has Cal at 19 and Oregon at 25. The only team that the Ducks lost to was Boise State, who is now ranked 5th, on both polls. :angry:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back