Nike Covert VRS vs Cleveland Classic vs Wilson D100-----Driver Review

mact3333

Reaction score
Handicap
I have been playing the Nike Covert driver 10.5 with stiff stock(KuroKage) shaft for a little over a month now...after reading the Edwin Watts Robot test results I bought the Wilson D100 9.0 driver with stiff stock(Matrix Ozik) shaft...I also bought a Cleveland Classic 10.5 with Miyazaki C. Kua 39 gram stiff shaft driver the other night...took about 20-30 swings with the Wilson and Cleveland driver today to compare to the Nike Covert....my driver SS usually around 100mph and I hit my driver roughly 250-260 and my 4 wood 220-240.

Not going to comment on actual distance as it is 50 degrees, raining and cold today and I am using those yellow range balls.

1. Nike Covert--looks nice at address, the straightest driver with tightest dispersion, decent length, noise is kind of a dull thud, ball flight was very low at 10.5 degrees so I went to 12.5 degrees neutral and flight pattern is what I am used to, easy to hit, feels abit heavy compared to the other drivers, always wants to find the fairway whether you push or pull it slightly, have to hit down on this club abit like a 3 wood as it seems easier to hit it thin with this driver, really like this club and has been in my bag for over a month now.

2. Cleveland Classic--looks abit strange at address due to small head size and gold colored face insert, feels noticeably lighter, the face is really deep on this club, balls explode off the face and makes a really loud cracking sound, balls come off face with the most solid feel, balls launch pretty high, seems to be longer than the Covert by 5 yards or so, balls consistently were pushed about 5-10 yards but with draw for me, ball flight was pretty consistent, really like this club. Now I am a smaller guy and the 39gram shaft didnt bother me as I have been playing a 45gram shaft for many years, but I could see how this shaft may be too light for many bigger and stronger guys with very fast club head speeds.

3. Wilson D100--looks nice aesthetically, feels lighter than Covert but heavier than Cleveland, balls were spraying alot more, some would fade and some would draw hard, didnt feel solid except maybe a few balls, much harder to hit solidly for me, something just didnt feel right with this club, balls didnt explode off of the face like the other drivers(probabaly cause I didnt catch it flush many times), cant blame it on swing as I was hitting the other two drivers very consistently just a few minutes before, didnt inspire alot of confidence, cant really comment on length as I didnt hit it well enough to comment on that aspect.

All in all, didnt like the Wilson D100 at all...if I am playing a tight course I will bag the Covert...if I am playing a open course where I can swing away, I will bag the Cleveland...in many ways I like the shape and compact size of the Cleveland as it almost feels like I am swing a 2 or a 3 wood with a really deep face...I am sure everyone is different and have unique swings and etc so results I am sure will vary for people, but for me it was clear how good the Covert and Cleveland Classic are and the D100 not so much.

Cool! I do things like this all the time and find my own testing like that to be far better than just sitting in some sim in a golf store getting rushed (with 3 other people waiting behind you to hit). To me, what you are doing is 1/2 the fun of the game.

Cool! I do things like this all the time and find my own testing like that to be far better than just sitting in some sim in a golf store getting rushed (with 3 other people waiting behind you to hit). To me, what you are doing is 1/2 the fun of the game.

I wholeheartedly agree!

Interesting, and thanks for sharing! Seems like the D100 scored well on ball speed in that EW robo-test, but didn't make any placings for accuracy..... What do you do with clubs that end up not being right for you? E-bay, return, etc?

Great write up. These are the three most interesting drivers to me this year and it helped a lot.

Nice Wright up.

Always interested in real world head to head, thanks for taking the time to write up.

Wilson are really pushing the new range in the uk and getting some decent reviews.
I have the Covert and while not having done any stringent analysis, it looks and feels so great at address, I'm sure it gives me that teeny bit of confidence and relaxes me a little (and I'll take any help I can get!).

I already sold the D100 on ebay and broke even on it.

The Covert is still in my bag...I can no longer say the Covert is 5 yards shorter than the longest of drivers as I hit some 290-300 in Vegas last weekend....granted it was 90 degrees there and balls go 30 yards further there compared to the cold and rainy Pacific NW.

Unfortunately I couldnt try to Cleveland on the course as I was playing for money and my playing partners would have called me out on playing 2 drivers.

Covert is easy to hit, the straightest and has good length.

I gotta stop buying new clubs....last yr I bought 6 sets of irons to do similar test(mizuno jpx 800, jpx 800 pro, titleist AP1, ping g20, TM R11, bridgestone j40 dpc)...ended up losing 100.00 a set on the ones I didnt like on ebay...so dont do this test yourselves!...:)...I settled on the J40 DPC's.

Guess next up are fairway woods and rescue clubs...I already have a Covert hybrid I am ready to test sitting in garage...we shall see if it can knock my TM RBZ 3 hybrid out of the bag!

Awesome review. I can't wait to see your rescue club findings.

Definitely interested in hybrids too! I went through similar (without buying, I can't imaging my domestic situation if I bought 4 clubs to try out!) and ended up with Amp Cell. The covert, xhot and rbz were close in performance for me but the cobra just felt like it fitted.

I already sold the D100 on ebay and broke even on it.

The Covert is still in my bag...I can no longer say the Covert is 5 yards shorter than the longest of drivers as I hit some 290-300 in Vegas last weekend....granted it was 90 degrees there and balls go 30 yards further there compared to the cold and rainy Pacific NW.

Unfortunately I couldnt try to Cleveland on the course as I was playing for money and my playing partners would have called me out on playing 2 drivers.

Covert is easy to hit, the straightest and has good length.

I gotta stop buying new clubs....last yr I bought 6 sets of irons to do similar test(mizuno jpx 800, jpx 800 pro, titleist AP1, ping g20, TM R11, bridgestone j40 dpc)...ended up losing 100.00 a set on the ones I didnt like on ebay...so dont do this test yourselves!...:)...I settled on the J40 DPC's.

Guess next up are fairway woods and rescue clubs...I already have a Covert hybrid I am ready to test sitting in garage...we shall see if it can knock my TM RBZ 3 hybrid out of the bag!
Nice review of the drivers! Instead of buying drivers couldn't you just check them out from the store and demo for a couple of days? My local Ed Watts and I are on a first name basis. It's like Norm walking into the bar at Cheers.

Thanks mact3333,

I also pulled the trigger on the Nike Covert with Regular Kuro Kage shaft. As you stated above,

"...the straightest driver with tightest dispersion, decent length, noise is kind of a dull thud, ball flight was very low at 10.5 degrees so I went to 12.5 degrees neutral and flight pattern is what I am used to, easy to hit, feels abit heavy compared to the other drivers..."

I experienced the very same.....and changed from 10.5 neutral to 12.5 neutral.....going to Sebring, FL on thursday for 7 round in 4 days buddy Trip with 24 others. Hope to bag them with the new Covert.....

I got to play 9 with the covert yesterday and must say I was really impressed with its accuracy. This driver seems to kill my miss which is a big pull hook. Two drives in particular stand out at my home course, on both I put really flat swing on the tee shot and instead being in the left side rough about 185 yards down, I was on the left side of the fairway with about a 210 yard drive. This is really exciting to me because I gain about 20 yards on my miss. I ended up hitting every fairway yesterday. The only reason why I tried this driver was because I was at Golfsmith trying out the R1, Cleveland Classic, Cally fit extreme, RBZ2, Amp Cell, X Hot, and anything else I could find. I just happened to stumble across the covert and decided what the heck, I'll give her a couple of swings. Well to my surprise the covert had the best dispersion and distance numbers. I'm really not a Nike fan so I didn't want to like this Driver, plus it's red, which is not my favorite color. But, I couldn't argue with the numbers. So I drove over to Ed Watts to check one out since Golfsmith won't let you demo outside their store. I have about an 88 mph swing and am using the 50 gram kk shaft with the head set a 11.5 and neutral. I am playing 36 holes of league play today and tomorrow and I am very excited to put this club through its paces. After yesterday, the red is starting to look pretty good.

Back