Cobra AMP CELL Irons Preview

I actually think these could bring a lot more fun and enjoyment to the game for me. Something I haven't had in a couple years since I had the Razr X irons. I loved having the extra distance with those and the ability to miss on the club face and still get decent results. I imagine these will be the same way for me. Don't get me wrong, I really do enjoy my current irons, but there are days when I just want to go out there and not think, not worry, and not go through a check list of swing thoughts. I want to just hammer some clubs and have a good time doing so.

i'm on board with this a lot...

i think eventually i will join you on that boat and settle down with a nice set of irons like the AMP Cells, or like the CG16 Tours, or B2.0's.
just something that makes golf simple and fun, as it's intended.

Just picked these irons up today based on the feedback in this forum, so thank you :)

I initially purchased Taylormade RBZ irons, but took them back for these. I was hitting the amp's better the day I bought the RBZ's, but the deal on the RBZ's was just so good. Eventually, I decided it was better to spend an extra $200 and get the irons I was striping.

Now I just need to figure out my wedges. Am leaning towards a 54*, and 58* cleveland RTX. I'm a lefty so finding wedges can be difficult at times. I've read this entire post but haven't seen anyone mention their wedge setup. I've seen a few thoughts, but has anyone actually made the purchase yet? Curious how your doing and what you chose.

Thanks!

@ Zorric, seeing that you are another Halifax resident. Bought my AMP Cell irons at Golf Central in Bayer's Lake. Find the customer service better here than at Golf Town. Still awaiting on custom mid-size grips and other iron modifications. Will keep my old Cleveland CG12 wedges > 56 and 60 degrees. Once my swing gets back into form, I'll look for new woods and a driver, thinking I may go with a Hybrid-3 vice 5-W. See you at Lost Creek!

Just picked these irons up today based on the feedback in this forum, so thank you :)

I initially purchased Taylormade RBZ irons, but took them back for these. I was hitting the amp's better the day I bought the RBZ's, but the deal on the RBZ's was just so good. Eventually, I decided it was better to spend an extra $200 and get the irons I was striping.

Now I just need to figure out my wedges. Am leaning towards a 54*, and 58* cleveland RTX. I'm a lefty so finding wedges can be difficult at times. I've read this entire post but haven't seen anyone mention their wedge setup. I've seen a few thoughts, but has anyone actually made the purchase yet? Curious how your doing and what you chose.

Thanks!

Awesome pick up. I look forward to your thoughts on them. What set did you have before getting and returning the RBZ?

Amphibians can Tapatalk... Fear the Frog!

Awesome pick up. I look forward to your thoughts on them. What set did you have before getting and returning the RBZ?

Thanks!

I played cleveland CG4's for the past 7 years... It was time for an upgrade, but I still like the feel of the CG4 when stuck well.

@ Zorric, seeing that you are another Halifax resident. Bought my AMP Cell irons at Golf Central in Bayer's Lake. Find the customer service better here than at Golf Town. Still awaiting on custom mid-size grips and other iron modifications. Will keep my old Cleveland CG12 wedges > 56 and 60 degrees. Once my swing gets back into form, I'll look for new woods and a driver, thinking I may go with a Hybrid-3 vice 5-W. See you at Lost Creek!

Yes I typically play a hybrid 3 instead of a 5W, although on the monitor I was hitting this 4i 210 yrds. If I can bring that to the course, I may just toss a 5W in the bag, and skip the hybrid. Will have to see what happens on Saturday (my first round of the year).

I think I'm ready to order. Anyone else?

Played a couple rounds with these so far and absolutely love the feel of them. They give me lots of confidence standing over the ball. You guys won't be disappointed. Think I am going to buy the driver since I love the irons so much :)

Played a couple rounds with these so far and absolutely love the feel of them. They give me lots of confidence standing over the ball. You guys won't be disappointed. Think I am going to buy the driver since I love the irons so much :)

cool. What irons did you have before these?

Nice. Are you seeing a distance gain over your old sticks?

what kind of differences are you seeing? What do you think about the v skid sole design?

Definately hit them further which has taken some getting used to. Still not as confident with my yardages yet, but that will come as I play more rounds. My typical ball flight is a baby draw, but sometimes the CG4's would turn that into a hook. My fault or not, I've yet to have this problem with the Cobra's. if anything, my ball just flies straight now. Trajectory is lovely, not too high, but high enough to get some nice distance and land soft.

As for the sole, I love it to be honest. I can make an aggressive swing through the ball and not worry about hitting it fat. I have a pretty flat swing, so my misses are typically thin. So having the confidence that I can hit down hard and not worry has been a great help. Even still, the sole just cuts through the turf, never really digging deep into the ground (although as I said I have a flatter swing, but could lay a sod or two with my old clubs, haha).

If you have any other questions just ask.

Excellent response. Thanks for taking the time to write that. I'm pretty excited at the possibility of having these in my bag.

That is music to my ears zorric.

Excellent response. Thanks for taking the time to write that. I'm pretty excited at the possibility of having these in my bag.

I could easily see you hitting these irons as well as Howzat. I hit them last weekend and the ball was jumping off of the face. Flight was a little high for me with the stock shaft and didn't come down a ton with DG S400 put in there, but I tend to hit it high with irons anyways. It was off of mats so I can't talk about turf interaction, but I was impressed with the overall package.

I could easily see you hitting these irons as well as Howzat. I hit them last weekend and the ball was jumping off of the face. Flight was a little high for me with the stock shaft and didn't come down a ton with DG S400 put in there, but I tend to hit it high with irons anyways. It was off of mats so I can't talk about turf interaction, but I was impressed with the overall package.

I really think these are perfect for where my game is right now. There is so much tech packed into an iron that still looks really good at address IMO.

I really think these are perfect for where my game is right now. There is so much tech packed into an iron that still looks really good at address IMO.

no doubt.
it looks like we'll have a really good mix between these and the Pro irons, which will be great for Cobra's representation in Myrtle.

and also, with there being so many options offered by Cobra in each category, we should see decent diversity between the 8 bags.

no doubt.
it looks like we'll have a really good mix between these and the Pro irons, which will be great for Cobra's representation in Myrtle.

and also, with there being so many options offered by Cobra in each category, we should see decent diversity between the 8 bags.

between club offerings and color options, I'm sure we will look like a crayola box full of awesomeness

I already shared that I loved these irons at the Cobra demo day I attended but have since gone back and forth trying to make a good decision. Unless things escalate quickly I'm hoping to give these and the Cells a round each at the Demo day in Orlando to make the final decision.

I already shared that I loved these irons at the Cobra demo day I attended but have since gone back and forth trying to make a good decision. Unless things escalate quickly I'm hoping to give these and the Cells a round each at the Demo day in Orlando to make the final decision.

If the decision has to made prior which way do you think you would go?

After my quick lunch testing on these, I think these are the ones for me. I'm thinking 5-PW in RED!!! Surprise, surprise there.

But after some shaft testing I'm a little more confused, the stock steel shafts are great, but the PXi and Ctapers were a very nice surprise and really felt like a good combo with the AMP Cell head.

I can't wait to hear how that comparison goes!

I don't know why, but C-tapers paired with these just sounds funny.

Back