Can anyone compare these older models of irons?

sncgolf03

Reaction score
Handicap
Looking for a cheaper set of irons. Can you compare the Titleist 690.cb irons and Mizuno MP-60s? Or throw in your 2 cents if you have played either of them. Also I guess the Adams MB2s too but they can't be purchased as cheaply! Thanks!

When you compare clubs people are going to give you a million different responses on what their "feel" is. I truly believe that you have to go in and hit whichever iron gives you the best performance and most of confidence in your shots. Golf is so much more mental, and I think iron technology is one of those that everyone has the same sort of product. Especially when comparing both CB irons. I have played both and there is not a whole lot of difference in my opinion. I like the Mizuno a little better as the topline is a little thinner, but this is also a visual opinion of mine. I prefer a smaller blade. I actually currently play an older MB/CB combo set in the Bridgestone j36. Love them, you should give those a look also. Probably my favorite iron ever made and have been exposed to whatever products I want to play as I played collegiate golf. I haven't found an iron that performs better than what I have been hitting and I like the look of them, so why change? New is not always better, so I like your choice in looking at older irons. haha. Good luck, they all probably run 300 a set I would assume.

Thanks! Yeah I actually just bought both of them....the Titleist ones first and then found the MP-60s in my exact specs for cheap, so I bought those too! They should arrive sometime at the end of the week so I'll be able to compare them better then, but I was just curious to see if anyone had any input! I was looking at some Bridgestone stuff too but couldn't find any that fit my specs enough to warrant a bid lol. If I had I would've considered getting those for sure. I played in college also and am in Vet School now so golfing time has decreased significantly (as has my extra cash supply lol) so hopefully I'll get at least some forgiveness out of one of the two I go (granted i'm sure it won't be much). Thanks for the reply!

i my opinion, 690.MB would be slightly less forgiving

Had the MB 690. and now I have the MP64s. I know it's not MP60's but Mizunos are a lot softer and forgiving than the 690. IMO.

I got my MP-60s in today, they look sweet and put some white paintfill in them and hope to play tomorrow with them!

459665_701550979641_295570546_o.jpg

Last edited:
I'm actually building a throwback set. I'm currently in between 690CB/.CB, MP30's or J33/36....and can't decide. I may buy 2 sets like you did. Lol

I'm actually building a throwback set. I'm currently in between 690CB/.CB, MP30's or J33/36....and can't decide. I may buy 2 sets like you did. Lol

Well I'll be selling one of the sets. Just played with the MP-60s yesterday and they are NICE! I have to get used to the yardages, I was actually hitting many of them deep, which i strange as they are weaker lofts then my previous i20s and R9 TPs. Might be the lighter X100 SL shafts + a more penetrating flight (normally play the std X100s). My Titleists should come Saturday, but won't be able to hit them till at least the next Friday (dang vet school finals!)

I like what you are doing with the shafts because I'm throwing in a set of Tour Issue Dynalite XP x100 (120g) in whatever heads I end up with

Tapping away on my S3

I like what you are doing with the shafts because I'm throwing in a set of Tour Issue Dynalite XP x100 (120g) in whatever heads I end up with

Tapping away on my S3

Normally I like the heavier shafts, but these are what the MP-60s came with, so I though I'd give them a shot. They're the lightest iron shafts I've played with in a long time (109g I believe), but they felt pretty good and didn't seem to notice the difference that much. The Titleist 690.cb's are coming with x100s in them so hopefully I can compare the two side by side next week.

I don't have these exact clubs but I do have a recent knowledge of going from the Titleist 990B's to the Mizuno MP-32's. I've played approximately 40 rounds with the Mizuno's and I can say in all honestly that I'll never hit another iron that isn't a Mizuno.

Comparisons:

Titleist 990B = Muscleback design, they call it a blade but its not.
Mizuno MP32 = Cut muscle design

Titleist 990B Creation = Cast
Mizuno MP32 Creation = Grain Flow Forged

Distance vs. Feel
I have noticed that I lose roughly 5-8 yards in going from the Titleist to the Mizuno's but I honestly don't care. The Mizuno's are so soft and so easy to control that I discover a sense of "pride" when I hit a nice little 8-iron from 150 with the Mizuno's as opposed to a full 9-iron with the Titleist. Yay, I'm maturing! :wink:

At the end of the day its all about preference. I think Titleist makes a wonderful line of club and I've hit several over the past 30 years. Hopefully one of these days I'll have the opportunity to hit one of their forged iron sets to more accurately compare them to Mizuno. Until then my Mizuno's are staying in my bag for the foreseeable future.

Good luck with your choice!

I don't have these exact clubs but I do have a recent knowledge of going from the Titleist 990B's to the Mizuno MP-32's. I've played approximately 40 rounds with the Mizuno's and I can say in all honestly that I'll never hit another iron that isn't a Mizuno.

Comparisons:

Titleist 990B = Muscleback design, they call it a blade but its not.
Mizuno MP32 = Cut muscle design

Titleist 990B Creation = Cast
Mizuno MP32 Creation = Grain Flow Forged

Distance vs. Feel
I have noticed that I lose roughly 5-8 yards in going from the Titleist to the Mizuno's but I honestly don't care. The Mizuno's are so soft and so easy to control that I discover a sense of "pride" when I hit a nice little 8-iron from 150 with the Mizuno's as opposed to a full 9-iron with the Titleist. Yay, I'm maturing! :wink:

At the end of the day its all about preference. I think Titleist makes a wonderful line of club and I've hit several over the past 30 years. Hopefully one of these days I'll have the opportunity to hit one of their forged iron sets to more accurately compare them to Mizuno. Until then my Mizuno's are staying in my bag for the foreseeable future.

Good luck with your choice!

Thanks, yeah the 690.CBs are forged so I'll try and give a little write up of what I find between the two when I hit them both side by side

Looking for a cheaper set of irons. Can you compare the Titleist 690.cb irons and Mizuno MP-60s? Or throw in your 2 cents if you have played either of them. Also I guess the Adams MB2s too but they can't be purchased as cheaply! Thanks!

I was gaming the MP-60s until a month ago. Excellent set of irons, the turf interaction is great and they just seem to put the ball where you want it to go. I was playing Ansers prior to the MP-60s and I think they are every bit as forgiving. That is not to say that you won't receive a bit of a "nip" if you hit them poorly but there isn't too much of a distance penalty. I think that you will really enjoy the MP-60s.

I was gaming the MP-60s until a month ago. Excellent set of irons, the turf interaction is great and they just seem to put the ball where you want it to go. I was playing Ansers prior to the MP-60s and I think they are every bit as forgiving. That is not to say that you won't receive a bit of a "nip" if you hit them poorly but there isn't too much of a distance penalty. I think that you will really enjoy the MP-60s.

What'd you end up switching too?

MP-67s not that I have the "correct" handicap to play them. I am lucky in that I strike my irons well so I enjoy both the MP-60s and the MP-67s, plus I like the cut muscle design.

I got both the MP-60s and the Titleist 690.CBs in now and I don't think i'm going to end up comparing the two. I don't really have a reason to have 2 sets so I'm just going to keep the ones that are in a little better shape so I can play with them longer. So I'm putting the 690.cbs up for sale. If I wasn't about to start finals week, I would at least give them a shot because they do look nice and a little more forgiving then the MP-60s, but just can't afford having two sets. So if you want them feel free to buy them of me lol! Thanks for all the feedback!

Once you have your life back (after finals) let us know how the MP-60s treat you. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Haven't played them
But you need to put Hogan Apex Forged Pro in the mix
Best irons I hit in early 00's
Cheap on eBay

Back