Cobra AMP CELL Irons Preview

I don't know why, but C-tapers paired with these just sounds funny.
I actually thought the same thing when the guy handed me it, but it was a nice combo!

Uhoh guess who's waiting to get on a monitor with these?
Pondered so hard it made me drive to ATL in the rain

ery4udy6.jpg

tapt

Lokking forward to your thoughts TOAD. Lately I have been pondering these with the Kuro Kage shafts.

7 iron

8araqe7u.jpg

tapt

Lokking forward to your thoughts TOAD. Lately I have been pondering these with the Kuro Kage shafts.
Funnuy, I was pondering the same thing today as I was playing, and if not, maybe a lighter weight steel like Flighted 95 or KBS 90!

I think that is where I am leaning. I have a desire to try graphite shafts and see if they can help me. One thing I am confused about is the weight. If you go by cobras custom shaft list, the weight is heavier than the specs listed on golf works or MRC's website.

I think that is where I am leaning. I have a desire to try graphite shafts and see if they can help me. One thing I am confused about is the weight. If you go by cobras custom shaft list, the weight is heavier than the specs listed on golf works or MRC's website.

I think there is a mix up on the chart with the NS Pro 950GH's. Swap the weights for those shafts and they come in at 75 which I think is correct.

I think there is a mix up on the chart with the NS Pro 950GH's. Swap the weights for those shafts and they come in at 75 which I think is correct.

That's what my thought was too.

I wouldn't want to go down to the 50g weight of the stock graphites so the 75g range of the Kuro Kage seems like a better fit.

I wouldn't want to go down to the 50g weight of the stock graphites so the 75g range of the Kuro Kage seems like a better fit.
My only worry is they would be too light, but I guess the head and it's forgiveness would help control!

My 2 cents; I thought the head felt heavy in the stall yesterday hitting these. I don't know how much head weight you like to feel, but I was swinging the stock 90s and the head still felt a tiny heavier than my R11s with KBS 90s.

Toad ain't heavy, he's my brother.......wait, you meant the Amp Cell's. Other than the clubhead weight, how did they feel Sean?

Cookie, I am thinking about filling out a second bag for another course I play and walk. I wondered how you would compare them to our altitudes. :D

Cookie, I am thinking about filling out a second bag for another course I play and walk. I wondered how you would compare them to our altitudes. :D

I plan to hit them side by side at the outing. It will be interesting to get peoples thoughts on the two because the target audience is likely fairly similar but they are very different irons.

I look forward to the feedback.

Toad ain't heavy, he's my brother.......wait, you meant the Amp Cell's. Other than the clubhead weight, how did they feel Sean?
Fantastic...after about 10 get-used-to-them swings. There was, literally, one thick red line down the middle of the monitor where I hit 10 balls dead at the target. Distances varied 10-20 yards depending on how I set up and hit them, but they ALL went straight. I actually think the weighted feel helped me groove a swing because I was flushing everything dead on the button (confirmed later in the session with impact tape).

The Cell is 1* stronger than my R11s but I was seeing a very solid full club difference and definitely more dead down the middle, providing the monitor is correct, which I think it was because the first club he handed me (1* upright) was all over the place.

Fitter went to get the 4i off the rack just so I could see how I hit it, as that is a really iffy club for me. I'll either kill it or put a big 'ol draw on it. That thing might as well be a driving iron! Longest was 218 carry. That would make a couple of par 3s I know pretty easy.

I also think I like the helper soles on these. Sometimes I get a bit 'diggy' and this could be a chunk saver.

I'm going to go hit them again.....

Awesome buddy.

Great review Toad! Sounds like you found your next set.

very nice Toad. You have me really looking forward to gaming these.

The more and more I ponder I'm thinking the Kuro Kage graphite would be awesome in these, my daydreaming has taken off today!!!

The more and more I ponder I'm thinking the Kuro Kage graphite would be awesome in these, my daydreaming has taken off today!!!

Just looked 'em up. Nice looking. Holy cow $$$ though.

Just researched a bit to compare to my R11s regarding the swingweight I mentioned earlier:

456789PWGW
R11SwingweightD2D2D2D2D2D2D2.5D2.5
Loft2124283236404550
CELLSwingweightD3D3D3D3D3D3D4D4
Loft2124273135394449

was looking through MRC's 2013 catolog a few minutes ago and apparently there are different weight versions of the KK black iron shaft. 50 For ladies flex, 60, 70, 80,and 90. So maybe Cobra has the 90 version as their offering.

was looking through MRC's 2013 catolog a few minutes ago and apparently there are different weight versions of the KK black iron shaft. 50 For ladies flex, 60, 70, 80,and 90. So maybe Cobra has the 90 version as their offering.
Yeah this was from Mitsubishi's website:
SHAFT
NAME
FLEX
GRADE
LENGTH
inches
WEIGHT
grams
TIP OD
inches
TIP //
inches
BUTT OD
@10mm/inches
TORQUE
degrees
KICK PT.
KURO KAGE™ Black Iron 70S42.0750.3705.50.6003.5MID
KURO KAGE™ Black Iron 70R42.0750.3705.50.6003.5MID
KURO KAGE™ Black Iron 70A42.0730.3705.50.6003.5MID
KURO KAGE™ Black Iron 50L42.0530.3705.50.6005.0MID

OK, got a chance to hit 4 and 8 irons last night on the home range. Interesting and puzzling, both.

Pros:

• I was smoking the 8 dead at the target green I was aiming at, coming within 5 yards, probably, left/right of the pin on 10+ shots. Distance control/repetition was spot on, too, and it appeared (as much as you can tell on range grass) that there was a good amount of spin.
  • I hit one off the toe so bad it about twistsed out of my hands, but when I looked up, it was still going, and going, and going straight and only missed that target green about 3yds short and 3yds right. The ball acted like it was just slight mishit.
  • I do think the D2-to-D3 swingweight made a difference. I know it's so minimal, but it just felt more "there".
  • Turf interaction, mostly on the 8 iron (more on that in a minute)
Cons:

• I thought the surface scratched pretty easily. These were like new, nearly out of the box, and when I was done, the face look horrible, especially out on the toe
Spoiler
IMAG0237_zpsb873bf54.jpg

There's no dirt on the face here, all scuff/scratch
IMAG0238_zpsba461302.jpg

Those are scratches on the low toe, not reflections of trees. My R11s are like two years old and aren't this scratched up. :(

• The long clubs are, well, longer. And not in the good way. This is what I alluded to up there ^. I was having a bad time getting good balls out there with the 4 iron. When I did, they were freaking NICE, but I kept stubbing and chunking. Some research (again) showed me that they pulled the old TM move and lengthened all the irons, but the long irons were by 3/4". I didn't have any trouble with the 8 because it's only 1/4" off but that extra 1/2" messed me up. (FWIW, when I tee'd up for the 4 and set up for it, the thing was a machine!!)
Spoiler
AMP CELL
R11
Club
Loft
Length
Lie Angle
Club
Loft
Length
Lie Angle
21°
39.25"
60°
21°
38.5"
61.0°
24°
38.50"
61°
24°
38"
61.5°
27°
37.75"
62°
28°
37.5"
62.0°
31°
37.25"
62.5°
32°
37"
62.5°
35°
36.75"
63°
36°
36.5"
63.0°
39°
36.25"
63.5°
40°
36"
63.5°
PW
44°
36"
64°
PW
45°
35.75"
64.0°
GW
49°
35.75"
64.5°
AW
50°
35.75"
64.0°

• Maybe I would have to get more used to them, maybe move the ball up a bit in my stance, but the flight seemed low to me. The stock 90s felt OK, even really nice on perfectly swung, perfectly struck balls, but I quickly thought about putting in KBS Tour 90s or something. You C-Taper guys might like them though.
  • Once I really studied them out in the light, I noticed the soles are a bit bigger than I'd realized. I didn't really notice anything protruding behind the topline on setup, but the soles are a lot bigger than my 11s, for sure. I was reminded of the Nike SQ irons, in fact.

So, having swung the lengths you see in the R11 chart, would you just get used to the changes, or have your shafts cut down to match what you're used to hitting? I think I would at least do the 4 & 5 down a 1/2" to bring them more in line with what I'm used to; my swing was just getting fairly repeatable and I'd be having to get used to standing up a bit more, or choking down, or something. :struggle:

Nice thoughts toad. I really did not even think about the longer shafts in the low irons, but now you have me thinking. When you say that you noticed the sole being wider outside, do you think it was a good thing, bad thing, or just an observation? Also can you comment more on the v skid sole from the turf?

Im with you on the con about the easy scratches, that's kind of a bummer. Im all for the battle tested look, but give me some time to acquire it.

Back