Appalling course etiquette - your thoughts?

I'm usually cool with twosomes joining up if we had a twosome. Then if they play like way better than us we don't mind them playing ahead. And for the groups in front, I'm usually cool with as long as they are doing things the right way. If they do the two person cart and waiting for each player to hit and then go find the next player's ball then that's pretty annoying. Players who don't know to play ready golf should be yelled at (at least inside your head or on a forum). Then politely commented on to their face so they know better.

They probably should have offered, though as many others have said, it never hurts just to ask.

I wouldn't call it appalling, more just a little unthoughtful.

Bad etiquette along with no common sense. Like a previous post, a nice tee shot blast right when they're on the fairway would have sent a message. I did this last weekend. All four looked at me like I was crazy, but they sped up.

Using HTC EVO LTE

I never suggested anyone bomb balls over their heads or at them. I meant hitting close to them as in just after tehy've hit their second shots etc so they can hear the ball land nearby to reinforce the fact they're playing slow as hell. Or hitting into a par 3 when they've just left the green etc etc. I've been hit with a golf ball a few times and I'd never wish it on, nor intentionally do to someone.

If you truly think this is ok, I'm not sure what to tell you.

They should have let you through but they didn't...no need to have your day or round upset by it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you are a twosome or a single and you are going to get upset that you have to play at the pace of the foursome(s) in front of you then you need to either only play on a weekday morning or get a private club membership. Neither of those two things will guarantee that you can race around a course in 2:30 either.

Just what I've been saying forever. The thing though that always comes out in these threads is so many think it is ok to hit into or close to someone just because they think the people they are hitting towards are slow. Pretty sorry way of thinking that a perceived wrong can be made right by putting others safety on the line. That pisses me more than slow play.

Bad etiquette along with no common sense. Like a previous post, a nice tee shot blast right when they're on the fairway would have sent a message. I did this last weekend. All four looked at me like I was crazy, but they sped up.

Using HTC EVO LTE

Hitting into the group in front of you intentionally is bad etiquette, no matter how pissed you may be that they are playing slow, and generally does nothing to speed the group up. If you have a problem say something rather than hit into them. Played this past Saturday on a backed up course (it was about a 5 hr round) and had a foursome hitting into us a few times (actually hit the top of my golf cart on one shot while I wasn't in it) and I can promise the last thing on my mind was that I needed to speed up.

I've been a similar situation. I went out and played a local course one day as a single. There was a single in front of me and two women in front of him and nobody else in front of them. On the third hole they let the single through and I waited on every tee box, including a par three for them to hit. At one point on hole five I waited for 15-20 minutes for them to take their second shots and get out of range, the only person in front of them was the single. There was a single behind me who had enough by hole three and went back to hole one. I hit my ball in the fairway on hole 5 and they just wouldn't let me through. I went back and played hole two again and eventually some people came up behind me so I ended up just skipping ahead to number nine because I didn't want to be rude to anyone I jumped in front of. I talked to the single who the two women let through and he said they were rude about and actually hit into him while he was walking to the green to play out the hole.

Using HTC EVO LTE

Thats really bad form. Had a group hit into us this past weekend. The third time it happened they found two very pissed off golfers standing next to their ball. Many pleasantries were exchanged.

This is a game that we all pay good money to ENJOY. It's quite simple, treat the other golfer, the course, and the staff like you expect and want to be treated. We owe to ourselves and the generations to come to preserve this great game and all it's experiences

This is a game that we all pay good money to ENJOY. It's quite simple, treat the other golfer, the course, and the staff like you expect and want to be treated. We owe to ourselves and the generations to come to preserve this great game and all it's experiences

People often forget that playing golf, on a golf course is a privilege. I have seen the bad that comes from people hitting into others. I work a couple of days a week at my home course (for the past twenty five years).

A couple of years ago a guy hit into a group he thought was too slow. This resulted first in a very loud and obnoxious exchange of words. The clubhouse was called and the daughter of the owner was the first to go out. When she arrived it had moved to the point of threats being made and at some point she got pushed out of the way. The police was then called but in the meantime it had moved further to the point of punches being thrown. By the time three of us male workers arrived, the group that was hit into (foursome) had headed in. The twosome that did the hitting (the ball) was then told to go to the parking lot.

Once everyone was there, another round of shouting took place before the police finally arrived. One guy from the group that hit into the other was arrested and a EMS was called by the police so two people from the other group could get treated for minor injuries. Charges were filed and the guy arrested did I think 10 days in jail along with fines of several thousand dollars. The course was forced to press charges as well (lawyers decision) because the daughter of the course owner had been physically touched by this guy. Those two were banned for life. Not a situation any golf course should have to go through.

Bottom line is twosomes have no standing on the course, only foursomes. It is almost always right for a foursome to let a twosome play through, but it is not required. There are situations where there may be foursome's or groups on every hole ahead, so there is no point in allowing a group to play through. We have a sign at the first tee and at number ten, stating that slower groups should allow faster groups to play through. For the most part, we have zero problems with any of this.

We also have a stern rule on the course that says that anyone hitting into or hitting close to another player or group intentionally will be banned, anywhere from a week, the rest of the season or even for life depending on the situation. We want people who come to play at our course to know we have their back as far as safety goes. No one should have to pay money and play with the fear of being hit intentionally. There are cases our lawyer has said, where hitting a ball at someone could in some cases be a criminal act.

Using HTC EVO LTE

I forgot. Two wrongs do make a right.

People often forget that playing golf, on a golf course is a privilege. I have seen the bad that comes from people hitting into others. I work a couple of days a week at my home course (for the past twenty five years).

A couple of years ago a guy hit into a group he thought was too slow. This resulted first in a very loud and obnoxious exchange of words. The clubhouse was called and the daughter of the owner was the first to go out. When she arrived it had moved to the point of threats being made and at some point she got pushed out of the way. The police was then called but in the meantime it had moved further to the point of punches being thrown. By the time three of us male workers arrived, the group that was hit into (foursome) had headed in. The twosome that did the hitting (the ball) was then told to go to the parking lot.

Once everyone was there, another round of shouting took place before the police finally arrived. One guy from the group that hit into the other was arrested and a EMS was called by the police so two people from the other group could get treated for minor injuries. Charges were filed and the guy arrested did I think 10 days in jail along with fines of several thousand dollars. The course was forced to press charges as well (lawyers decision) because the daughter of the course owner had been physically touched by this guy. Those two were banned for life. Not a situation any golf course should have to go through.

Bottom line is twosomes have no standing on the course, only foursomes. It is almost always right for a foursome to let a twosome play through, but it is not required. There are situations where there may be foursome's or groups on every hole ahead, so there is no point in allowing a group to play through. We have a sign at the first tee and at number ten, stating that slower groups should allow faster groups to play through. For the most part, we have zero problems with any of this.

We also have a stern rule on the course that says that anyone hitting into or hitting close to another player or group intentionally will be banned, anywhere from a week, the rest of the season or even for life depending on the situation. We want people who come to play at our course to know we have their back as far as safety goes. No one should have to pay money and play with the fear of being hit intentionally. There are cases our lawyer has said, where hitting a ball at someone could in some cases be a criminal act.
That's insane! I'm not advocating any of this behavior at all... But i think we have to police our own.

I never suggested anyone bomb balls over their heads or at them. I meant hitting close to them as in just after tehy've hit their second shots etc so they can hear the ball land nearby to reinforce the fact they're playing slow as hell. Or hitting into a par 3 when they've just left the green etc etc. I've been hit with a golf ball a few times and I'd never wish it on, nor intentionally do to someone.

Using HTC EVO LTE

Wow. Just wow. I will leave the descriptive words out of this post, but sheesh.

I think its bad for the ones playing slow not to offer. When I pay a substantial amount of money to play on a course, i dont think its wrong of me to expect people to play by the rules and if they dont, the course should do something about it. I should not have to go ask. This happened to me today. Teed off on #1 behind a foursome of older gentleman. I was in a foursome as well. They were scrambling so I thought this wont be bad. Boy was I wrong. We waited on every tee, in the fairway, everywhere. I assume they were probably members and really didnt give a crap. They knew we were there. We started fairly early and nobody was in front of them. The entire front 9 was waiting on them. I got pissed as well as the other guys in my group. It was my first time playing the course and it was busy and I just assumed they had a marshal. Wrong again. It started raining so we had to head back in early. Got about 12 holes in. Was not offered a rain check, thats fine, I played on a day rain was in the forecast. We could have completed the round if not for the slow play. I know the guys behind us were thinking it was us. Very pissy day on a course that I drove 2.5 hours to go play. It was pouring down when we got back and turned the cart in and did not take the time to talk to management. I was beyond ready to go. I got home tonight and sent them a very respectful e-mail. Not expecting anything, just wanted them to know what I thought of their operation and that I will not spend another dime at their course and will tell everyone I know what happened. The course is in a location with plenty of other courses to play at about the same rate and they need all the business they can get. I am still hacked thinking about it.

Right now for me it is a lot less of a issue with slow play, but the issue of how so many think it is ok to handle it their own way on the course. It seems so many have NO idea that being on a course is a privilege, not a right. I see this in every slow play thread. Very sad. Makes me wonder.

Shockingly bad and one of my all time pet peeves! Nothing a few bombed drives up their A&*@S couldn't fix, lol.
I feel this is even worse then not asking someone to play through.

there are so many different scenarios. We have singles and twosomes looking to play through other twosomes when things aren't crowded and other foursomes when it is crowded. Then we have foursomes looking to play through slower foursomes when things are not crowded. Then we have twosomes looking to play through foursomes when it is crowded. We have these problems when its crowded and when its not. Human nature just tells us we cant wait no matter what the scenario or no matter how long it always seems like its forever. We have the ones who feel entitled to fast play and then we have the ones who feel entitled to not care about time. Its to the point now where everyone must now play with the pressure of time and I think in some ways its hurting the game and taking away from the enjoyment possibly as much as the dreaded truly slow round. And its all relevant anyway cause no matter how fast or slow it takes its all just fine and dandy right up until the moment we have to wait.

I know the guys behind us were thinking it was us.

Just out of curiosity, if the guys behind you thought it was you, is it possible the group in front of you was also waiting?

Snap hooked from my Galaxy S3

I'm pretty sure this thread did not go as planed.

Bottom line is twosomes have no standing on the course, only foursomes. It is almost always right for a foursome to let a twosome play through, but it is not required. .
I've seen this posted by a couple people now and I've gotta add my two cents. Correct me if I'm wrong but this is false. I'm pretty sure I just read somewhere, maybe a golf mag or site, that this rule has been officially changed. It was a q and a article and a guy wrote in asking about singles having no standing. The rules expert wrote that the official rule book had been changed to say that all groups have standing on the course and yes,.a.single is considered a "group". This was done to try to help grow the game he said. Not everybody, including myself, can always find 1 other person little lone 3 to play with. Should I not play this game because of it. I'm sorry I'm not retired with 3 other buddies who are retired who I can get a game with anytime. I work a very erratic schedule and play when I can. But wait..I have no standing right? So I should have to wait on guys that are clearly MUCH slower than me based on the sole fact they have more warm bodies than I do. Ridiculous and a good example of why this game is in decline. Old school thinking like that. Forget logic, let's just go with what we've always done. Honestly I'm glad I don't play at your.course.

I will add that as frustrating as it is to be behind people who feel entitled to make you wait because you have less people than them it is NEVER ok to hit into people. Safety first ladies and gents. You can fantasize about it...just don't actually do it.

It is not possible. Wide open course and could see two to three holes ahead. I get the fact that everyone does not play fast. If they set a decent pace and its still slow for me oh well, i deal with it. I cant describe how slow they were. Worst i have ever seen.

That is true, alanaka. It was a revision or two ago. Singles have the same standing as a foursome. But they shouldn't expect to go through if they are waiting every shot if the group ahead is right behind the group ahead of them.

That is true, alanaka. It was a revision or two ago. Singles have the same standing as a foursome. But they shouldn't expect to go through if they are waiting every shot if the group ahead is right behind the group ahead of them.
Absolutely. If the course is jammed it's jammed. I have no issue with that. If I have nowhere to go I don't expect to go through. I was referring to a foursome not letting a single or a twosome through when the course is open in front of them and their reason is because ....gassssp...their a single, how dare they attempt to enjoy a round of golf with anything other than a group of 4. That's just illogical to me and I will never understand that outdated line of entitlement thinking.

Back