I suck at the driving range? Any ideas?

BogeyJim

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey whats up Andy, how are ya?

Got a quick question for ya, I hope its a common problem but I dunno. When Im out on the course, Im usually a pretty solid iron player, shots get hit nice and clean with good contact. Same goes for when Im demoing clubs at a golfsmith or edwin watts type place.

But when I go to the range, I absolutely suck! I dont know what it is, but I cant hit anything with any consistency...

Have you ever heard of this happening to people and how do you think I could fix it, its driving me nuts :)

Thanks man!

Jim

BogeyJim...You need a practice routine. When you say "you suck" on the range are you just out there beating balls or are you working on something? I use the range for a couple of different reasons.

1. If you are warming up...Treat your shots on the range like you would on the course. Visualize the shot you want to play, pick your target, and go through your preshot routine. You should focus here like you would on the course.

2. Making changes to your swing...Here I am more focused on making the change and making sure I am doing the correct things to make the change. During this type of range work I don't care where the balls are going I am making changes and how I am swinging and what I am working on are more important than ball flight.

3. Practice to prepare for an upcoming event...Treat each of these range session like it is for real. You need to have a routine and a plan of attack for this type of range work. Get loose....then start working on the areas you need to work on. Pick the smallest target possible for each shot and move targets. Don't get into the habit of hitting 20 balls at the same target with the 7 iron. Hit 1-2 shots and move to a new target. This will help you dial it in that much quicker.

What I have found with most of my students is they get out to the range with the best intentions and after 10-15 minutes of hitting shots it turns into mindless beating of balls with no real focus or purpose. Make the shots count on the range and you will be fine.

As a side note for me if I am hitting it well on the range I go with a real short warm up. If I am hitting it all over the place I will try and find my go to shot for the day and get out of there.

Hey Andy, thanks for that post man! Went to the range today and really put in some time and focus. Still hit the occasional fattie and shank, but man what a difference it is practicing with a purpose!

I was focusing on hitting down on the ball with irons and staying on the correct plane. I took my time and focused and pretended everything counted and picked targets!

What a world of difference.

No more beating balls mindlessly for me man!

Thanks a million

Jim

BogeyJim that is what I love to hear. Nice work buddy and keep at it. That is how you are going to improve and be able to take the practice sessions to the course. Keep at it and let me know how things are going for you.

Back