UK THP Spring Cup Discussion Thread

This is what I am looking at right now,

Its a decent size (10 inches), and we can have the main cup engraved with the THP UK - Hackers Cup bla bla bit, and the silver band at the bottom would take winners names and dates

Yeah, that will look good alongside the other trophy I have got :D

This is what I am looking at right now,

Its a decent size (10 inches), and we can have the main cup engraved with the THP UK - Hackers Cup bla bla bit, and the silver band at the bottom would take winners names and dates

the one liners that follow that......

Shirts went to the printers yesterday and they should be done in a few days. Didn't cost quite as much as expected (little bit of cheeky discount - not at all work related :act-up:) so I will put the rest of the money in to the prize fund for the couple of days if everyone is happy with that? If not, and you want your 'change', let me know and I'll bring a pocket full on the day!!

Not long now!!!

I have the shirts back and I have to say, I'm well pleased with them. Hope you'll all like them. There's a few quid left over so I'll give that to my brother for the prize fund.

Great stuff Bully

Good news lads.....

I have secured a good quality trophy (made of English Pewter) of decent size, for a reasonable price and will be arranging to have it engraved in time for the Belfry trip.

Crag Rat, sorry you won't get to keep the trophy for a period of time mate, but I will be having your name engraved on the trophy plinth as our first official winner. I will get some pics for you and we can get a couple of extra ones at the Belfry before its passed to the new holder (assuming of course you are not victorious again ;))

All donations to The Hackers Trophy will be be greatly appreciated lads. Its by no means a required contribution but given that this is for everyone that partakes, it would be nice if everyone could give a little something.

Cheers lads,

Mav281

Really looking forward to this now guys. Been a little stressfull lately with buying our first house so i need a couple of days away to play some hopfully decent golf.

Mav trophy looks good hopfully will get my hands on it ... its for the long drive right?

Had a chat with a couple of the lads from work who play the belfry a couple times a year and they informed me that the debry is a waste of money and they have had the option in the past to upgrade to the brabazon for £20-30 they cant tell me excatly what it was ... if this was the case would people be up for it .... i mean we have all travelled that far why not play two of the best courses in the UK? :D

Really looking forward to this now guys. Been a little stressfull lately with buying our first house so i need a couple of days away to play some hopfully decent golf.

Mav trophy looks good hopfully will get my hands on it ... its for the long drive right?

Had a chat with a couple of the lads from work who play the belfry a couple times a year and they informed me that the debry is a waste of money and they have had the option in the past to upgrade to the brabazon for £20-30 they cant tell me excatly what it was ... if this was the case would people be up for it .... i mean we have all travelled that far why not play two of the best courses in the UK? :D

I'd be up for that but for the record, Andy, that longest drive is mine!! :)

As long is it isn't too much, then I would be up for upgrading

I'd be up for that but for the record, Andy, that longest drive is mine!! :)

I might beg to differ if I can get my 3W working..... :alien:

Would defiantly be keen to upgrade to the Brabazon if the option was there.

Will make some equities and post an update here.

Ok, I have checked in with both the Belfry and my contact.

We can have tee times to play the Brabazon, but the cost is going to go up by £70 per person, to play the PGA National on the Sunday and the Brabazon on the Monday.

Personally I think it's very steep just to play the course and I would rather save that £70 and put it towards something potentially bigger and better for our Summer trip in August/Sept (I found a 3 day trip to Northern France with 3 x rounds of golf, and food/accommodation for less than £200 including Shuttle cost)

Thoughts people?

We can have tee times to play the Brabazon, but the cost is going to go up by £70 per person, to play the PGA National on the Sunday and the Brabazon on the Monday.

Personally I think it's very steep just to play the course and I would rather save that £70 and put it towards something potentially bigger and better for our Summer trip in August/Sept (I found a 3 day trip to Northern France with 3 x rounds of golf, and food/accommodation for less than £200 including Shuttle cost)

Thoughts people?

£70 extra is too much - I can't justify nearly doubling the cost of the weekend just to play the Brabazon

Another thing I had been thinking, but don't know what everyone else thinks about it - would it be better to swap the days over so that we play the more prestigious of the two courses on the Monday? Just though this might give everyone a chance to use the Derby course on the Sunday as a warm-up to get their game in shape for the PGA National on the Monday?

It was only a random thought, but just wondered how people would feel about it, if they are driving long distances so might not be as fresh for the round on the Sunday - although I am guessing some people might not be too fresh on the Monday morning I suppose.....

£70 extra is too much - I can't justify nearly doubling the cost of the weekend just to play the Brabazon

Another thing I had been thinking, but don't know what everyone else thinks about it - would it be better to swap the days over so that we play the more prestigious of the two courses on the Monday? Just though this might give everyone a chance to use the Derby course on the Sunday as a warm-up to get their game in shape for the PGA National on the Monday?

It was only a random thought, but just wondered how people would feel about it, if they are driving long distances so might not be as fresh for the round on the Sunday - although I am guessing some people might not be too fresh on the Monday morning I suppose.....

We are already playing the Derby on the Sunday and the PGA National on the Monday :)

The format for the 2 days should be fairly similar to the March trip, but will probably go a little something like this,

Sunday 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] June

9am-9.30am - Meet at the Belfry between 9.00 and 9.30 am to greet each other, exchange manly hugs and congratulate each other on losing those 1.5lbs from the last meet.

9.30–10.30am – Teams/groups will be announced for the “Yellow Ball” (yep they are yellow and visable this time) Competition, rules will be confirmed, cards handed out and the final few mouthfuls of coffee consumed.

As well as the team yellow ball tournament your personal Stableford score will also be recorded and will be added to your Stableford score on the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] day to decide our overall singles winner.

10:30-11am – Clubs onto trolleys and warm up before first tee time at 11am.

11am-3.30pm – Golf on the Derby Course

3.30-8pm – Free time. Once everyone has handed their card in, and we have had the obligatory 1-3 pints to cool down there will be a good 4-5 hours for everyone to make use of the facilities around the Belfry. Swimming pool, spa, Sauna, Steam room etc it’s all included in the price, so bring your budgy smugglers and make use of them.

8pm – Meet at the bar for pre-dinner drinks.

8.30pm – Dinner in the Atrium @ the Belfry.

After Dinner – Well that one is up to you, bars are open and I personally intend on using them ;)

Monday 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] June

8.00am – 9am – Breakfast.

As part of the Breakfast proceedings I will also hand out cards, grouping for the days golf and confirm which holes the Longest the drive and Nearest the Pin awards will be held on.

9am – 9.30am – Checkout of hotel rooms and preparation for the days golf.

9.30am – 2pm – Golf on the PGA National Course.

This will be a straight up round, no team competitions on the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] day. As noted there will be a longest drive and nearest the pin competitions though.

2pm – 3pm – Drinks, results and award presentation. There will be trophy’s this time for the following,

3 (or 4) x Winners of the Yellow Ball competition.
Longest Drive
Nearest the Pin
Singles Stableford runner-up
Singles Stableford Winner

The Singles Stableford winner will also take home the brand new THP UK “Hackers Cup”

From that point on people are free to depart as they see fit.

Hope everyone is happy with the above – seemed to work pretty well last time :thumb:

OK - this does seem to work better when a firm date is set, and a location is confirmed so everyone knows exactly what the situation is.

So here goes..........

The UK THP Spring cup will be held at The Belfry Golf Club on Sunday 2nd and Monday 3rd June 2013

The cost of the trip will be £130 which includes a £5 contribution to prizes and the following,

* 18 holes of golf on the PGA course on Sunday 2nd
* Longest Drive and Nearest the Pin prizes on the Sunday
* Evening Meal
* 4* overnight accomodation
* Full use of all onsite facilities throughout our stay
* Breakfast on Monday morning
* 18 holes of golf on the Derby course on Monday 3rd
* Prizes for "Yellow ball tournament", runner up and winner of the Singles Stableford (singles comp runs across both days)

I have opted to go for something slap bang in the middle of the country with a view to trying to get as many people involved as possible. In addition to this we also have a few non UK based players who are potentially looking to "fly in" for the event so with the location being in the vacinity of Birmingham airport that will also be useful.

If I could ask you to add your names to the list below as quickly as possible, I will look to make an in initial booking as quickly over the next week or so.

Cheers,

Mav

We are already playing the Derby on the Sunday and the PGA National on the Monday :)

Ah right, I thought it was the other way round based on the above post from page 2 - ignore me then :embarrassed:

Wasn't going to quote the rest of the proposed schedule, but it looks fine to me as a new outsider gatecrashing :D
Although I won't be partaking in any alcohol (I don't drink), I will still be chilling out with a few cold drinks and trying to forget about the obligatory hook on the first tee.....lol

I agree £70 is far too much for me £20-30 is acceptable.

Thoughts people?

I am very unlikely to get a pass for that one. Might have to sit that one out!!

Sounds superb Mav, agree £70 extra is too steep and would rather put it towards our next trip

Two and a half weeks to go now.....how is everyone getting on with their practice?

I will definitely be needing some range time before the first tee as I think tomorrow will be the last round I am going to be able to squeeze in, so that will be it apart from trying to get to the range unless I can get to the local par 3 course one night after work

I’ve got plenty of golf coming up over the next few weeks, so should in theory be well prepared for the Belfry trip :thumb:

* I am playing alongside my old man in the next round of the Summer 4 ball Betterball this Saturday at our local club.
* Friday 24[SUP]th [/SUP]I am playing in a corporate golf day at Toot Hill golf club in Essex.
* Saturday 25th I am playing for my Golf club in an away match at Rochford Hundred Golf Club in Essex
* Sunday 26[SUP]th [/SUP]is the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] round of the AJS Golf Trophy (singles Matchplay :S)
* Saturday 1[SUP]st[/SUP] June will be a normal Saturday school day at my local Golf club

Finally we get to Sunday 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] June and we head up to the Belfry – woot!

I'm swinging like an absolute donut at the minute really struggling

I've got 2 comps planned so should have a little practice.

Just hope I can put it all together really soon

Score cards for the courses turned up yesterday – at the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] time of asking!

Anyway – I am now in a position to start putting the groupings together for the yellow ball tournament on the Sunday. As I did in March, I will do a blind draw at home (my 5 year old son provides assistance here) which effectively selects the 3 3 balls and the 4 ball that will play together on Sunday.

The groups for the Monday are then put together based on how well you performed personally on the Sunday. So if you are the "overnight" leader you will be in the last 3 ball to go out and challenge the PGA National :banana:

Really starting to get excited about this now – not long to go lads :thumb:

Played with a couple of lads today who played the Belfry last year. They reckon the Derby course is pants but the PGA national is decent. Little disappointing to hear but never mind.

in their words "it's not worth going unless you're going to play the Brabazon". Shame but it is what you make it!!

Played with a couple of lads today who played the Belfry last year. They reckon the Derby course is pants but the PGA national is decent. Little disappointing to hear but never mind.
in their words "it's not worth going unless you're going to play the Brabazon". Shame but it is what you make it!!

I've heard similar feedback, but quite honestly I think it's a case of people are weighing up the Derby Course against the likes of the PGA National and Brabazon and naturally it doesn't come anywhere near close.

We should consider the Derby course on the Sunday as the "warm up" to the big event on the Monday. From what I am told the Derby course is in excellent condition and offers some good challenging par 3's if nothing else, so it will be a chance for everyone to warm up before we hit the PGA National on the Monday, which I have no doubt will show us the men from the mice :thumb:

Had a horrible round today but hoping it was due to my shoe splitting as I couldn't put a swing together as my foot wasn't planted properly. Only pleased it happened today and not when I was at the Belfry....at least I have got a chance to break some new ones in

Back