Trying to Break 80 Club

Great job Hacker. Keep up the good play!

I shot a 77 today. It was on a course that I don't usually play and it was from the white tees. But I hit the ball really good, and I missed on 3 four ft. putts. I have not broken 80 in many years, so this was very cool for me. My league starts tomorrow, so hopefully I can keep it going.

Nice round Hacker, good luck with league!

First time this year was last Sunday. 76 should have been 75 or 74. It's amazing how easy it seems when firing on all cylinders. Trouble is I'm a 6 cylinder usually running on 3. Congrats to all and keep up the good work.

Thanks everyone, but I shot a 46 on my league tonight. I had some good holes and some really bad ones. Oh well, it is early in the year for me. I will just have to work a little harder.

Well I finally did it and the best part I wasnt even really paying attention. Hitting the ball pretty well today and stood on the 18th tee with a 73 on the card. I needed a 6 on a 3 shot par 5 to break 80. Shot 79, my PB by 3 strokes!!!

Well I finally did it and the best part I wasnt even really paying attention. Hitting the ball pretty well today and stood on the 18th tee with a 73 on the card. I needed a 6 on a 3 shot par 5 to break 80. Shot 79, my PB by 3 strokes!!!

AWESOME!

So what made the difference between today and the other rounds? How confident in your ability to repeat or do it regularly? Does it feel like a special event or a new norm?

Congrats! My 79 beat my best by three shots as well.

Congrats! More than half the battle is getting comfortable being only 5 or 6 over with a few holes to go. Once you break 80 a few times the comfort factor will be there and you will be breaking 80 on a regular basis.

Great score, hopefully you see this more often!!

AWESOME!

So what made the difference between today and the other rounds? How confident in your ability to repeat or do it regularly? Does it feel like a special event or a new norm?

I put a new driver in the bag today which helped a bit, but more of it was the new iron swing I have been working on, normally im at about 20-28% GIR, today was like 50%+. I will find out if I can repeat later this week sometime. I have thought for a couple months now that I was just 1-2 things away, changing driver shafts and the iron swing was it. I would say based on today and the things I am working on I should be under 80 pretty consistently by the end of the summer.

Congrats buddy. That is a Great job. Very happy for you. Now bring it to Winnstar when we all play. Got it. We need to see it. I hope I can keep up with you now.

Congrats to all of you sounds like the season is going well.

I tied my PB on Saturday shooting a 77 in not so good conditions I was +1 after 9, get to hole #10 3rd easiest hole on the course I put up a triple bogey then par'd and bogey's the rest of the way but I also had 2 3-putts for a 41 on the back, I scrambled really well but the back 9 should of been 37-38, the reason I spent money this year on equipment was to get in the 70's so far after 12 rounds I shot a 77, 79, 80, 81, 85, 88 then some blow up rounds of 92 twice, 95 & 96 so I'm happy with my progress so early in the season but I did learn that one or two bad holes can kill getting in the 70's.

Shot 80 yesterday, #18 was a par 5 I was on front fringe in 3, middle of green pin placement, 3 stupid shots from there for the 80...grrrrr

You have the 70's in your sights! That is a stellar round anyway, Mike!

My dad was talking to a guy who said that he used to shoot middle-high 80's (that's where I'm at as well) and once he got the mental game down he dropped a good 10 strokes in a year. I'm working on that aspect as I nee dot drop about 10 this year to get where I want to be. Just wanted to tell everyone something that they already knew which was: work on your mental game.

My dad was talking to a guy who said that he used to shoot middle-high 80's (that's where I'm at as well) and once he got the mental game down he dropped a good 10 strokes in a year. I'm working on that aspect as I nee dot drop about 10 this year to get where I want to be. Just wanted to tell everyone something that they already knew which was: work on your mental game.

For me it was mental game (playing within myself) and 100yds in. If you cant hit the GIR you gotta chip close.

Bogie-fest on the front today for a 44. Birdied #10 (see my shot-of-the-day post :banana:) to set the tone for the back. Doubled 18, but still wound up at 44/40=84 for the day. Driver and irons were just clicking today. I think I've found something in my stance that is making my ball contact way more consistent than it has been in a while. Feels like I'm getting close...

After finally breaking through last fall with a 78, it's been a struggle for me to get back there. What's curious is that I'm playing my most consistent golf ever. Since February I've posted 10 rounds, scored as follows: 92(1), 83(3), 82(1), 81(3), 80(2).

I just can't seem to get any lower. Every round I'll have a few moments that kill my chances. Heck, last night I doubled 18 for my 81(my only double of the round). I don't pay attention to my total mid-round so I had no idea until afterwards. My main goal now is to not develop a mental block and know that it will come together and happen for me.

Played my home course today. My average score there is 87. 3 hours and 16 minutes walking. 83, however, I was sitting at 77 on the par 3 18 tee. Put the first one in the water, 4 putted. DOH! No birds, but I putted for 6 of them. 32 f***ing putts.

14, 15, 16, 17 I putted for birdie and got pars. This should have been a 75, but I had a lot of fun.

I have broken 80 10 - 12 times and had less fun than I had today. The ball was going where I wanted it to most of the day.

Went for a lesson today with a former PGA player. After short game and full-swing he said that I have no reason not to be in the 70's. He made some changes and I feel like I will be in the low 80's-high 70's next round which will hopefully be tomorrow.

Heading out tomorrow, still letting my broken ribs heal but it has been 3 weeks so I figure I'm going for it. Im hoping that the pain will help me put smoothies on everything and do wonders for my game and not trying to kill every shot.

Had a 79 in my grasp yesterday......bogey double finish for 82

Until I can get off this 93 train I am on to start the season I am out of this club!

Had a couple 82's so far this weekend, and both had a blow-up hole and too many missed putts so I am hopeful that I'll be able to put up a couple more rounds in the 70's after doing it once so far.

I'm getting closer to breaking 80, best score this year so far was an 82. My biggest problem is still my putting. I think a putter change is coming soon, but every time I'm ready to change I putt better LOL.

Back