Finished my fitting with a few options, Opinions please

Danmancity

Reaction score
Handicap
N/A
The Swing DNA said KBS and s300 also PX but I didn't want another PX after my current 6.0in my RBZ, an I told him I really fancied a Ping set.

Well to start with it was an extremely embarrassing fitting where every shot was coming off the toe of the club so he handed me a Ping G25 and boy do those things fly no matter how bad you're playing, still coming off the toe they were flying past my RBZ, but I didn't want to leave with another large head game improver so I asked to demo the i20 which to start with I was awful as I was still relying on the g25 forgiveness that wasn't there, I eventually got dialled in and they started flying too, but then I was told I couldn't get a custom shaft without an up charge so I kind of disregarded them in all honesty as I wasn't a fan of the CFS shaft

Next R11, bit of a nothing iron for me, beautiful but didn't do it for me, and no way was I playing well enough to consider Nike Pro Combos

So the last head that I realistically thought I could hit and would be a step forward was the JPX825Pro after I fell in love with the 800 last year, instantly I was in love just like the i20 but with a slightly softer feel on a pured shot which just made me tingle lol

Then I had my first try of the KBS after a couple of years with PX, instantly I was sold, I was still getting some silly good distance but everything was tightened up and lowered from The ping shafts and Dynalite gold, just what I was after, hit about 50 balls with only the odd hook and slice while I was giving it a good test.

Foolishly I asked to try the S300 just to put my mind at ease, after all I've read countless threads about how kbs is so much better, first shot, pured, Damn that's nice, much higher shot, more ballooning but after 10 or so balls I realised the dispersion was much tighter, I was losing about a clubs distance however

I just wanted to know if this is the same as other people's findings between the 2 shafts? Or was I just getting better as I went on lol

And just to make sure, have I missed any similar heads?

Thanks for reading ;)

Did you try the ap2's? They are fairly forgiving or the Ap1's. I love the KBS shafts I went to x flex from the s300's. my dispersion is much tighter and no loss of distance, in fact I have been crushing the ball as of late much farther than with the s300's

I'm glad to hear your dispersion is better with KBs as I really did have my heart set on them

I was kind of put off by the tiny heads on the Ap2s there's not much in it between them and the jpx but It was enough to throw me off mentally, very nice feeling stronger forge feel
Ap1 was lovely too was looking for a slightly smaller head however

Thanks ;)

Anyone else?

Have you tried the Callaway X Hot Pro or maybe last years Callaway Razr X Tour?

im partial to nike so what about the VRS forged?

with regards to your shaft debate, i always played S300's and now am playing C-taper X. my fitter said i could go C-taper or regular KBS tour's and i would tighten up dispersion, more distance, and a better flighted shot. he was right. S300's for me anyways were spin monsters and would balloon at any hint of wind. either KBS shaft was a much better fit.

I also went from S300 to KBS Tour X. My driver SS is 102-105, so I fit in the range for S shafts. I decided to go with KBS tours in X because I had read that they were much more smooth than the Dynamic Golds but were a little lighter and ball flight was a tad higher. Goin with a stiffer flex than prescribed, I still get great feel and distance, yet a lower ball flight. I love my KBS Tours. Swear by 'em.

Did you try the ap2's? They are fairly forgiving or the Ap1's. I love the KBS shafts I went to x flex from the s300's. my dispersion is much tighter and no loss of distance, in fact I have been crushing the ball as of late much farther than with the s300's

The Swing DNA said KBS and s300 also PX but I didn't want another PX after my current 6.0in my RBZ, an I told him I really fancied a Ping set.

Well to start with it was an extremely embarrassing fitting where every shot was coming off the toe of the club so he handed me a Ping G25 and boy do those things fly no matter how bad you're playing, still coming off the toe they were flying past my RBZ, but I didn't want to leave with another large head game improver so I asked to demo the i20 which to start with I was awful as I was still relying on the g25 forgiveness that wasn't there, I eventually got dialled in and they started flying too, but then I was told I couldn't get a custom shaft without an up charge so I kind of disregarded them in all honesty as I wasn't a fan of the CFS shaft

Next R11, bit of a nothing iron for me, beautiful but didn't do it for me, and no way was I playing well enough to consider Nike Pro Combos

So the last head that I realistically thought I could hit and would be a step forward was the JPX825Pro after I fell in love with the 800 last year, instantly I was in love just like the i20 but with a slightly softer feel on a pured shot which just made me tingle lol

Then I had my first try of the KBS after a couple of years with PX, instantly I was sold, I was still getting some silly good distance but everything was tightened up and lowered from The ping shafts and Dynalite gold, just what I was after, hit about 50 balls with only the odd hook and slice while I was giving it a good test.

Foolishly I asked to try the S300 just to put my mind at ease, after all I've read countless threads about how kbs is so much better, first shot, pured, Damn that's nice, much higher shot, more ballooning but after 10 or so balls I realised the dispersion was much tighter, I was losing about a clubs distance however

I just wanted to know if this is the same as other people's findings between the 2 shafts? Or was I just getting better as I went on lol

And just to make sure, have I missed any similar heads?

Thanks for reading ;)

I'm going to be in the minority in this arena but I DO NOT like the KBS Tours. They launch way-way too low for me and my driver swing speed is in that 100-110 range. I haven't tried the 90s because I'm not a light-weight shaft kind of guy but the C-Tapers are just awesome. You might actually want to wait and try the C Taper Lites that are due out in the next few days...

The DG S300s are the old tried & trues. Good dispersion with a loss of distance. I always like the PX 5.5s because they're nowhere near a "boardy" and harsh as the 6.0s and up. Lot's of great shaft out there, just pick what suits your swing and have fun!! BTW, the CFS Ping shaft is a great shaft, it's a spin-off from the old ZZ-65 shaft which was and still is a great shaft. I went with C Tapers because they like for you to be aggressive...

As far as heads go; you've hit the major manufacturers. I don't usually stray away from Mizuno and Ping when it comes to irons. It looks like your looking for a players iron with some forgiveness. The standard 825 (non-pro) version is the one to get, even though it's dubbed a GI iron. The Mizuno MP H4 and MP 59s are also great sets. Someone mentioned AP2s, they're really good as well. I did NOT like the Callaway XHPs and lost about $200 for the privilege but your mileage may vary. The Wilson D-100s & CI-11s and Cleveland CG Blacks are great looking heads too...

I recently soft-stepped some KBS Tour X's into my S56's and love the feel. They feel a tad on the heavy side, which keeps me a little more aggressive all the while trying to maintain a smooth tempo. And if I stay aggessive, I have noooo problem getting the ball in the air.

I haven't tried the C-Taper, so I can't speak to that. But you will not regret going with a set KBS's either way. And I agree that it's too bad about the upcharge that Ping levies - but I've always kept whatever set of irons I purchase for a long time so it doesn't seem that bad in the end.

Back