Diane

Reaction score
When we played on Sunday, we noticed a few golfers around us who didn't follow any course etiquette. We came to the conclusion that they were just ignorant - not being jerks. When I was a child learning to play, the etiquette was drilled into us and any behavior that didn't meet certain standards wouldn't have been tolerated. Now that I'm an adult, I see that some people haven't learned the etiquette and I'm constantly surprised by this since I always thought it was such an integral part of the game. I'm not sure if that's a sign of the times and a reflection of society in general or because I'm playing golf among the masses on public courses.

I get so frustrated with people with no etiquette. Talking during my swing, moving around, digging in their bag, talking on cellphones, walking behind me, standing in my line, standing in front of me in the fairway. All of these things drive me nuts and I see more and more people doing it. I'm beginning to think the self centered behavior of people in society is creeping into the golf courses and affecting the very spirit of the game.

James - Please don't take this wrong, but you scare me a little.

I get so frustrated with people with no etiquette. Talking during my swing, moving around, digging in their bag, talking on cellphones, walking behind me, standing in my line, standing in front of me in the fairway. All of these things drive me nuts and I see more and more people doing it. I'm beginning to think the self centered behavior of people in society is creeping into the golf courses and affecting the very spirit of the game.

If this happens a lot, I wouldn't blame you if you were to try to set them straight and tell them. They may honestly not know? If they do and are just being ignorant then you're still in the right to say something to them. Win-win situation for you!

At our club you have to go through a class on etiquette before you are able to play the course, it is called new member orientation. It is not intense and there is no test but things like raking the bunker properly or replacing your divots are covered. I think many people could benefit from a short class on etiquette before heading out to the course.

I think many junior courses have a short section on etiquette, that is where I learned. I think they should also add a short tutorial on the importance of using sunscreen, but that is a bit off topic.

James - Please don't take this wrong, but you scare me a little.

I have that effect on people Diane, I'm just a big ol softie who sometimes loses my cool on people that need attitude adjustments. I grew up with two older brothers in an abusive household with my mom being beat regularly by my step dad. So I at times handle things differently than most "normal" people. Don't be afraid of me I'm very much a nice person, just have little patience for ignorant people. :angel:

The very first thing my father taught me about the game of golf - before he even handed me a club to swing - was etiquette.

* Be quiet when others are playing
* Fix your ballmarks
* Replace your divots
* Don't stand in someone's putting line
* Don't cast a shadow on someone's putting line or over their ball

He also taught me how to properly tend a flagstick (grasp the flag to keep it from flapping and remove it slowly from the cup after the putt is struck) and how to hold it while others were putting (don't let it rest on the green with the stick digging in to the green). He also taught me about "honors" and how to rake bunkers (as well as how not to ground my club) as well as many other "finer points" of the game. I knew all of this before I ever played a round of golf because he told me that it was important and when we played, he'd reprimand me if I "forgot".

He also told me that I couldn't play on a "big" course until I could adequately move the ball around the "small course" (a local 'executive' nine) and keep up with the pace of play because he didn't want to have me "holding everyone up".

He was very strict about these things but it was because he respected the game. He was a former caddy and he loved golf. When he realized that I had a keen interest in it myself, he wanted to make sure that I understood its rules, its customs and traditions and most importantly its etiquette. In his eyes, etiquette was just another word for manners and both of my parents taught me manners. Manners (etiquette) are a sign of breeding and respect for others.

I'm sure that I thought all of this was "boring" or "silly" when it was first taught to me, but I've never regretted having learned the manners of society or the etiquette of golf.

-JP

Yep- I understand... although IMHO it isn't completely dying. I play as a single walk-on most of the time, so I get to play with a wide variety of people. At the local Muni I can pretty much count on the following in the group I wind up with about 90% of the time:

A warm welcome and a smile from strangers on the first tee

People not talking while I swing

People not moving much while I swing

People not standing that close while I swing, although sometimes they stand directly to my right or in front out of ignorance... and when I ask them to please stand behind me they are happy to comply

That the order of play will be mostly respected- with some accounting for 'ready golf'

An honest attempt to not walk on my line when I put, or if someone does it's usually a beginner with a more experienced friend/dad who appologises and tells their friend/son not to do that

Some attempt at ballmark repair... usually doing it wrong out of ignorance rather than intent

Some attempt at raking the bunker

Occasional attempt at divot replacement

About 10% of the time, someone in the group is a butthead who does things I really don't like- talking more than once on cellphone in non-emergency situation, making no attempt at course repair, talking/moving around while others are trying to hit, etc... but I think 1 in 10 ain't bad honestly.

Think on average people I meet are more polite on the golf course than in the supermarket or highway. At least that's my $0.0175

I have that effect on people Diane, I'm just a big ol softie who sometimes loses my cool on people that need attitude adjustments. I grew up with two older brothers in an abusive household with my mom being beat regularly by my step dad. So I at times handle things differently than most "normal" people. Don't be afraid of me I'm very much a nice person, just have little patience for ignorant people. :angel:

The internet is a funny place. I've been fooled into thinking other people were something they were not. You are honest about who you are. I admire that.

Blame it on "time". If you look at the negative side of society in general there should be no reason to believe it can't creep in the the game of golf. Golf was at one time an elitist game, that was not available to the masses. No days there are much fewer elitists and more "masses" playing the game. You can take just about anything, and given enough time, it will go from better to worse. To stay a head of negative issues, you need to keep moving a head to something that is better.

The internet is a funny place. I've been fooled into thinking other people were something they were not. You are honest about who you are. I admire that.

AND I'm a fantastic dancer! :banana:

One thing that pisses me off is when someone pulls the pin & throws it down on the green, usually resulting in a nasty little divot. What is so hard about gently setting it down?

Yep- I understand... although IMHO it isn't completely dying. I play as a single walk-on most of the time, so I get to play with a wide variety of people. At the local Muni I can pretty much count on the following in the group I wind up with about 90% of the time:

A warm welcome and a smile from strangers on the first tee

People not talking while I swing

People not moving much while I swing

People not standing that close while I swing, although sometimes they stand directly to my right or in front out of ignorance... and when I ask them to please stand behind me they are happy to comply

That the order of play will be mostly respected- with some accounting for 'ready golf'

An honest attempt to not walk on my line when I put, or if someone does it's usually a beginner with a more experienced friend/dad who appologises and tells their friend/son not to do that

Some attempt at ballmark repair... usually doing it wrong out of ignorance rather than intent

Some attempt at raking the bunker

Occasional attempt at divot replacement

About 10% of the time, someone in the group is a butthead who does things I really don't like- talking more than once on cellphone in non-emergency situation, making no attempt at course repair, talking/moving around while others are trying to hit, etc... but I think 1 in 10 ain't bad honestly.

Think on average people I meet are more polite on the golf course than in the supermarket or highway. At least that's my $0.0175

I find this accurate except the butthead count. I count maybe 2%. Most people really try to be polite and aware. Sometimes in the excitement of the game they forget. Me too. The one thing that I have seen increasing the most is footprints in the bunker. That kind of ticks me off.

The biggest gripe I have is people not repairing ball marks on the green. That's just pure laziness. These are probably the same people who won't walk a few feet to put their shopping carts in the corral.

The biggest gripe I have is people not repairing ball marks on the green. That's just pure laziness. These are probably the same people who won't walk a few feet to put their shopping carts in the corral.

Last time I played, I repaired at least two ball marks on every green, not counting my own. On some greens, I could have camped out for an hour repairing them. No excuse for that.

I learned golf etiquette as a caddy, 45 years ago, and the basics have never changed. Equipment and technology may have made great advancements through the decades, but there are a few simple rules and considerations (most of them noted in previous posts) that remain timeless.

Its really pretty simple for most of us - respect the course and respect the people on it.

Its really pretty simple for most of us - respect the course and respect the people on it.

I think that sums it up. I think a lot of people don't understand that course etiquette isn't only about being polite, but is about safety on the course too.

Back