Oh Sergio - Once Again, You May Have Crossed The Line

So what I'm getting out of all this is that it's incredibly insensensitive and borderline racist to imply that most black people like fried chicken. My eyes are open now. I'm going to go right out and picket Popeye's for having a southern accented black woman in their commercials. They are perpetuating the stereotype and I simply will not stand for it.

So what I'm getting out of all this is that it's incredibly insensensitive and borderline racist to imply that most black people like fried chicken. My eyes are open now. I'm going to go right out and picket Popeye's for having a southern accented black woman in their commercials. They are perpetuating the stereotype and I simply will not stand for it.

(I made a point that nobody understood, no big deal, edited)

Last edited:
Here's the thing. He was speaking to Tiger more than anything, if Tiger thought it was a racially motivated comment, then it is. If Sergio wasn't trying to add racial undertones, he would have said that.

The problem for me, as one of the whitest white guys around, I find it shaky ground for me to say what is or isn't racist.

You just said what I was hoping someone would say.

Tiger could have done with this whatever he wanted. Tiger and Sergio hate each other. Tiger was losing the feud with Sergio and Tiger has been blasted in the media for his integrity with rules. Tiger and his people saw opportunity in what Sergio said. An opportunity to make Tiger look good by saying "Sergio's comments were insensitive blah blah blah."

I don't feel that Tiger was braised by the comments. He used what Sergio said to end the feud in the media. It also got him out of the headlines for being a cheater. No one is talking about him being an adulterer right now either.

I am as white as white as they get as well. I don't tip toe around anything I say. If I want to say something I say it around anyone, anywhere, anytime. Why should anyone tip toe around words even when there around someone of different ethnicity? With what I do I am around different races, religions all day every day. I am also very successful at what I do because people understand and know me.

Insensitivity to race and stereotypes are learned patterns. I understand what they are, but I am not going to tip toe around them. To me they are just words and words that I may or may not want to use. I put my pants on every day just like everyone else. When I die I am going to go out with a puff of air and be put 6 feet under just like everyone else. No one is better than me and no one is beneath me. Live life, have fun, and prosper.

Tiger could have done with this whatever he wanted. Tiger and Sergio hate each other. Tiger was losing the feud with Sergio and Tiger has been blasted in the media for his integrity with rules. Tiger and his people saw opportunity in what Sergio said. An opportunity to make Tiger look good by saying "Sergio's comments were insensitive blah blah blah."

I don't feel that Tiger was braised by the comments. He used what Sergio said to end the feud in the media. It also got him out of the headlines for being a cheater. No one is talking about him being an adulterer right now either.

I am as white as white as they get as well. I don't tip toe around anything I say. If I want to say something I say it around anyone, anywhere, anytime. Why should anyone tip toe around words even when there around someone of different ethnicity? With what I do I am around different races, religions all day every day. I am also very successful at what I do because people understand and know me.

Insensitivity to race and stereotypes are learned patterns. I understand what they are, but I am not going to tip toe around them. To me they are just words and words that I may or may not want to use. I put my pants on every day just like everyone else. When I die I am going to go out with a puff of air and be put 6 feet under just like everyone else. No one is better than me and no one is beneath me. Live life, have fun, and prosper.

You just said what I expected you to say... Nothing with any rationale

Tiger was losing the feud with Sergio? Really....? right.. ok..
Tiger blasted in the media for his integrity with rules.... Really? ok.... Wittenberg backs tiger up 100%
Blah blah blah? So... basiclly anyone who makes any racial remark towards anyone, no worries it's just blah blah blah LIVE LIFE AND PROSPER! Yeah huh!
Nobody talking about him being an adulterer right now..... RIGHT because it happened 4 years ago
You're "as white as white as they get" Good for you!

You can live life, have fun and prosper all you want buddy.

If Tiger is pissed he's pissed, he's not having fun. All in all it's up to him.

Last edited:

So are you trying to place the blame on Tiger for this being as big of a deal as it has become? Tiger has made 3 comments on this. He mentioned that what Sergio said was hurtful and wrong, he then says that he believes that Sergio regrets making the statement, and then asks to keep things about golf from now on. This has nothing to do with Tiger being an adulterer, or him cursing on the golf course, or whether he's an A-hole or not. This is 100% on Sergio, he chose to make the comment.

If you honestly think that Sergio didn't know what it meant, or that he meant it any differently than it came out, why did Sergio apologize so profusely and so quickly? The fact is, Sergio knew what he said was wrong, admitted that he was trying to be funny and it came out wrong, and he's apologized (which I think he sincerely means).

You can do as you please, but you can't expect everybody else to be like you. I'm happy for you that you are able to say what you want, when you want to, and that you don't worry about how it effects someone else. But not everybody is like you, I personally try to be aware of who my audience is so as to not unintentionally make a comment that will make someone feel uncomfortable around me. And by the way I'm not saying that I'm right and you are wrong by any means, I understand that we are all different and we all handle situations differently.

How was tiger losin the feud?

Also, you just put a lot of words into tigers mouth.

You just said what I expected you to say... Nothing with any rationale

Tiger was losing the feud with Sergio? Really....? right.. ok..
Tiger blasted in the media for his integrity with rules.... Really? ok.... Wittenberg backs tiger up 100%
Blah blah blah? So... basiclly anyone who makes any racial remark towards anyone, no worries it's just blah blah blah LIVE LIFE AND PROSPER! Yeah huh!
Nobody talking about him being an adulterer right now..... RIGHT because it happened 4 years ago
You're "as white as white as they get" Good for you!

You can live life, have fun and prosper all you want buddy.

If Tiger is pissed he's pissed, he's not having fun. All in all it's up to him.

Wow. U Mad Bro? All I have to do is read this post to realize what planet you live on. Obviously it isn't this one.

Wow. U Mad Bro? All I have to do is read this post to realize what planet you live on. Obviously it isn't this one.

I expected a comment like that
lol

Alright back on track...

And so it deteriorates. Fun discussions with multiple points of view always take a turn for the worse.

And so it deteriorates. Fun discussions with multiple points of view always take a turn for the worse.

A "u mad bro" troll post just made this thread Fonzy jump the shark.

So are you trying to place the blame on Tiger for this being as big of a deal as it has become? Tiger has made 3 comments on this. He mentioned that what Sergio said was hurtful and wrong, he then says that he believes that Sergio regrets making the statement, and then asks to keep things about golf from now on. This has nothing to do with Tiger being an adulterer, or him cursing on the golf course, or whether he's an A-hole or not. This is 100% on Sergio, he chose to make the comment.

If you honestly think that Sergio didn't know what it meant, or that he meant it any differently than it came out, why did Sergio apologize so profusely and so quickly? The fact is, Sergio knew what he said was wrong, admitted that he was trying to be funny and it came out wrong, and he's apologized (which I think he sincerely means).

You can do as you please, but you can't expect everybody else to be like you. I'm happy for you that you are able to say what you want, when you want to, and that you don't worry about how it effects someone else. But not everybody is like you, I personally try to be aware of who my audience is so as to not unintentionally make a comment that will make someone feel uncomfortable around me. And by the way I'm not saying that I'm right and you are wrong by any means, I understand that we are all different and we all handle situations differently.

I am not placing the blame anywhere because I still don't see what Sergio did wrong. I am not one to point fingers, place blame, and want answers like people in our country want. It is what it is. All I am saying is that Tiger saw an opportunity and jumped at it. Smart by his people to figure it out because despite what people think, he was losing the feud to Sergio.

With that said... When has Tiger ever been sensitive? Do you really think he cares about what other people say or think about him? The guy is a legend. He is also an a-hole and being sensitive is the last thing on his mind.

When, where, and why does the response from Sergio matter? So if he waited until today it makes a difference in his apology? I honestly believe it was an "Oh $hit." moment for Sergio. He scrambled and apologized.

For what it's worth, I can't stand Tiger or Sergio. I just don't have time for arrogant people and they both are just that.

How was tiger losin the feud?

Also, you just put a lot of words into tigers mouth.

I didn't put anything into Tiger's mouth. How was Tiger winning the feud? He lied about the Marshall's on the course, he made a disturbance to agitate Sergio, he took an inproper drop the past two months. I don't know where you guys get your info, but Tiger is slammed day after day on the PGA network. Some people support him, but the overall wasn't going well for him.

BTW... Appleton is a great place. Flew in there once to make a trip over to Berlin and ended up in Green Bay watching the Packers and Bears a few years back. Awesome times.

I am not placing the blame anywhere because I still don't see what Sergio did wrong. I am not one to point fingers, place blame, and want answers like people in our country want. It is what it is. All I am saying is that Tiger saw an opportunity and jumped at it. Smart by his people to figure it out because despite what people think, he was losing the feud to Sergio.

With that said... When has Tiger ever been sensitive? Do you really think he cares about what other people say or think about him? The guy is a legend. He is also an a-hole and being sensitive is the last thing on his mind.

When, where, and why does the response from Sergio matter? So if he waited until today it makes a difference in his apology? I honestly believe it was an "Oh $hit." moment for Sergio. He scrambled and apologized.

For what it's worth, I can't stand Tiger or Sergio. I just don't have time for arrogant people and they both are just that.

Tiger has a history of dealing with racism from other tour pros. And I agree that it isn't up to us to say fried chicken is a race based comment. But if tiger did, then it was.

I didn't put anything into Tiger's mouth. How in was Tiger winning the feud?

BTW... Appleton is a great place. Flew in there once to make a trip over to Berlin and ended up in Green Bay watching the Packers and Bears a few years back. Awesome times.

You made assumptions about Tigers feeling about Sergio's comments. That is putting words in his mouth.

And yes. Appleton is awesome. I Sincerely appreciate that.

Is your brain broken?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

So because you perceive Tiger as an a-hole he has zero feelings?

And that's exactly my point. Sergio knew what he said was wrong and apologized, he didn't have to analyze anything he said, he knew it after he said it.

How exactly did Tiger jump at an opportunity? He said absolutely nothing derogatory towards Sergio, and stated he wanted to move forward and stop talking about it. Not exactly the approach of someone who is trying to take advantage of a situation.

As far as who was winning the feud, that all comes down to who you like better between the two. From my point of view it seemed like both players were tired of talking about it.

Tiger has a history of dealing with racism from other tour pros. And I agree that it isn't up to us to say fried chicken is a race based comment. But if tiger did, then it was.

We see things differently and that is OK. I don't even see what Fuzzy did as being racist years ago. Something the the media brought up as a racial issue then just like it is now.

During an interview, European Tour chief executive George O’Grady, whilst discussing the Sergio mess goes on to say

“We accept all races on the European Tour, we take it very strongly; most of Sergio’s friends happen to be very, er, are coloured athletes in the United States.”

So because you perceive Tiger as an a-hole he has zero feelings?

And that's exactly my point. Sergio knew what he said was wrong and apologized, he didn't have to analyze anything he said, he knew it after he said it.

How exactly did Tiger jump at an opportunity? He said absolutely nothing derogatory towards Sergio, and stated he wanted to move forward and stop talking about it. Not exactly the approach of someone who is trying to take advantage of a situation.

As far as who was winning the feud, that all comes down to who you like better between the two. From my point of view it seemed like both players were tired of talking about it.

I don't see Tiger as having feelings because I don't see him as a puss . If a black man said to you "Hey honky, come over hear and eat some crackers with me." Would that seriously hurt your feelings? Sergio said "He can come over and we can eat some Fried Chicken?" How is that hurtful? I asked a couple of black friends what they thought about Sergio's comments and they said they thought it was funny. No one alive has lived in slave days. Very few of us have lived during the days of segregation. Why can't we all grow up?

During an interview, European Tour chief executive George O’Grady, whilst discussing the Sergio mess goes on to say

“We accept all races on the European Tour, we take it very strongly; most of Sergio’s friends happen to be very, er, are coloured athletes in the United States.”

I would believe this. I see Spain as being a progressive country and people from there more accepting of racial and religious values.

I think the big problem is that anything perceived as negative toward a race is considered racism. The word racist has become so negative to us that whenever it is used, the situation automatically becomes a big deal. We don't have a word for minor lapses in etiquette where someone says the wrong thing. As soon as it's out of their mouth, they are branded a racist. In our society it is almost worse to blurt out a racist remark as it is to assault someone because of their race. How many hate crimes happen every day that don't get the kind of attention Sergio's remark did?

I don't know if I've ever met anyone who wasn't at least a tiny bit racist, no matter how much they protest that they are colorblind. It's a fact of life we have to deal with. We have a long way to go, but at least we are further ahead than some other countries.

I would believe this. I see Spain as being a progressive country and people from there more accepting of racial and religious values.

Whaa?!

Spanish sports have a history of horrible racist views and actions to other nationalities.

Also saying "coloured" athletes is pretty bad. It defines a person by their skin color. Which is primitive at best.

this one may be headed to the debate room real soon

Back