JAugusta

Reaction score
Handicap
Anyone game the JPX 825's? Are they considered "GI's" or "SGI's"

I had the chance to demo the JPX 825's and AP1 712's, both of which are solid irons. Does anyone have a preference?

Thanks

Like the 800s, they cover multiple areas. The 800s had an HD option that were considered SGI, the standard 800s are GI and the 800 pros are a little more closer to blades.

I've been playing the 800s for over a year and tried the 825s and didn't notice enough difference to warrant considering a switch but they were pretty nice.

I've been playing the 825's for a few months. They are great irons and personally, I've had the best irons shots I've ever had with these irons. I'd say they're GI instead of SGI, because I don't think they're forgiving enough as something like the Adams OS series, etc. Also, when I was fit into them, I wanted a set that I could grow into a little bit and the fitter recommended these for that purpose among others.

I think the 825s are SGI and the 825 Pros are GI. The Titleist AP1s are closer to the 825 Pros, look at the sole.

All I know is the JPX825 pro's are a nice club. Tried them out when I was looking for new irons this year. It came down to the i20, J40's, and the JPX825 pro's. I really liked how they felt. The JPX825 was a good club too, but I thought the 3 others were much better performing clubs.

I think the 825s are SGI and the 825 Pros are GI. The Titleist AP1s are closer to the 825 Pros, look at the sole.

Disagree. IMO, the 825s are GI as are the AP1s and the AP2s are equal to 825 Pros. Regardless, I've gamed the 800s for awhile now and still love them. Can't go wrong with the 825s.

Don't let the fact that a club is classified as game improvement or super game improvement deter you from trying them. Play what you hit well, not what you think you can hit well.

They are GI. Id say they are comparable to the AP1s. Both are great irons that would serve you well. Its really more of a matter of what feels good to you and what you like the looks of.

The 825s are definitely GI, especially since they still keep the 800HD line around as their SGI offering. It isn't so much about the title as it is about how different they are designed. The longer clubs in the 800HD or other SGI clubs have just massive soles like they're mini hybrids. Back to the 825s, I think it says something about the workability of them when a fair amount of people would buy them in long irons to pair with 825 pros in short irons. Personally, one thing I particularly like about the 825s is that the topline looks extremely similar to the pros and even the MPs. You could have a progressive set or later upgrade and it would not be visually jarring at all.

... Back to the 825s, I think it says something about the workability of them when a fair amount of people would buy them in long irons to pair with 825 pros in short irons. Personally, one thing I particularly like about the 825s is that the topline looks extremely similar to the pros and even the MPs. You could have a progressive set or later upgrade and it would not be visually jarring at all.

Well said, and exactly what I did with the JPX800 / 800 Pros.

JPX825's may hit like an SGI but it doesn't look like one. I just unboxed mine last night and they look great. The best part is Mizuno included a JPX825 Limited Edition hat!

If it's between just those two clubs I'd take the Mizunos in a heartbeat.

I've been playing Ben Hogan apex plus forged blades for the past 14 years now (started playing with those when I was 14). I'm now 28 so decided it's time to get fitted and went to the mizuno fit day. I'm currently waiting for my JPX 825's. I found the flush shots were almost as a forged feeling and I gained distance+accuracy and forgiveness (on a monitor...). But I also tried the AP1 and AP2, i was disapointed. Can't wait to hit them on the course. I'll let you know how they perform!

The JPX 825's have done me a world of good since I bought them in January.
I've gone from the uppr 90s to the low to mid 80s since then. My accuracy has
really improved with these irons. I am one happy customer and would recommend
them to any one looking for more length and accuracy.

After my iron swing has been MIA for the last month, I'm starting to remember why I love these. These get up in the air and go far. They feel great and as others have said, look sharp at address. The shaft is solid and probably is on the stiffer side, not whippy at all. I'm gushing, but it's well deserved.

Taps away

The Titleist AP1s are closer to the 825 Pros, look at the sole.

I think so in the short/middle irons...

I've been playing the 825's for a few months. They are great irons and personally, I've had the best irons shots I've ever had with these irons. I'd say they're GI instead of SGI, because I don't think they're forgiving enough as something like the Adams OS series, etc. Also, when I was fit into them, I wanted a set that I could grow into a little bit and the fitter recommended these for that purpose among others.

Golf Digest has a comparison tool that shows the highlights...

I think they're all a bit different. The 825 Pros are a cross between a GI/Players muscle-back iron and are grainflow forged. The AP1s are almost a GI combo-set with thicker top lines in the long irons which screams SGI but not so much in the middle/short irons. The standard 825s are just straight-up GI irons that lean toward the SGI in size but they have the triple-cut sole. Mizuno makes the 800HD which is their SGI set. All are great clubs...

I finally had a chance to put 200 balls through these JPX825's and LOVE them so far. I custom ordered them with the NSPRO 950 stiff's and the feel is pretty amazing for a cast club. I miss the Epon forged feel but these are just so easy to hit. I went back inside to get some Trackman numbers and found the 4i to be an easy 195yds and 206-210 carry when needed. I tried 4 different Callaway xhot and RBZ stage2 hybrids and neither of them could do what this 4i could do.

I'm playing tomorrow so we'll see how the do on the course...No Driver, No hybrid!

I have 800 pros with px 6.5 and 825 5 and 6 with x100s. Man, I thought px 6.5 felt bad till i hit x100. I am meh on the 825s. They feel hollow and I have trouble keeping them down. I did hit the 5 iron pin high on a 215 par 3.

I bought the JPX 825's about a month ago and have really enjoyed them. I switched from the Ping G20's and thought I went to a players iron in the look category. The sole and topline are both more compact. The offset doesn't scream hook either. They give necessary feedback on bad shots which totally tell me their a GI and not SGI...Not that it would matter anyways. Play what you play best. I stayed with the stock stiff shafts 2*upright...I love them...I dont think I would carry any other iron brand in my bag here on. Just the looks alone are blazing. Very clean. I wish I tried the graphite shafts but, I seem to have bad luck with graphite in the past on irons...

Ended up shooting 86 today at Black Gold and I think that's my best round there so far. I was +4 on the front and lost it on the last few holes where it's really tight off the tee. Overall these are great sticks. Mis-hits will get to the green and they're about half a club longer than my old set of 'players clubs. The nice high trajectory helps stop on these hard greens and hitting punch shots is still easy to do. The Gap wedge is money for work inside of 100yds for me and I'm considering getting the JPX wedges with the same nspro's in them.

Received them yesterday ! Nice look ! I'm hitting the course tomorrow so I'll let you know.

Received them yesterday ! Nice look ! I'm hitting the course tomorrow so I'll let you know.

Did it come with a JPX825 hat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I think I am almost set in getting fit for the JPX 825 Pro. I hit them really well, and I really liked how they felt paired with the DG X100 shafts 1/2" inch long.

Back