I was thinking about breaking out a sleeve of some Titleist Solo's. For some reason I usually don't like these balls, but a friend of mine told me they are pretty good in cold. Reading here it looks like the +e6's would be pretty good too. So I might give them a try.

And, on a cold note, we all know that "cold" golfing weather in relative. For some of us 50 degrees is down right cold. However, today here on the plains of nothern IL it is almost 60 and it is fantastic! I'm going to try and get out on Friday and the high is supposed to be 55. It will be chilly but once you get moving, it's not too bad.

When it is colder the air is heavier so a golf ball won't travel as far no matter what you play.

If you keep your golf balls in the house before you use them the cold won't have any impact on performance until well after your round would be over. This is according to golf equipment guru Frank Thomas, who used to be the head of R&D for the USGA.

When it is colder the air is heavier so a golf ball won't travel as far no matter what you play.

If you keep your golf balls in the house before you use them the cold won't have any impact on performance until well after your round would be over. This is according to golf equipment guru Frank Thomas, who used to be the head of R&D for the USGA.

Your distance is reduced by about 5 yards for every 10 degree drop in temperature below 70 degrees, at 45 figure at least one more club, at least. I am not sure if it is because the air is denser, it might be that.

I had read somewhere that when a golf ball is colder, it's harder to compress, therefore it won't go as far. If you keep it warm, I guess that takes that variable out of the equation.

Sounds like a combination of factors leads to shorter distances when it's colder.

I think I will try the Precept iQ PLUS as well when the temps go down a little. Right now it's still around 60. Seems unusually warm for this time of year. I'm sure it won't last. :smile:

I had read somewhere that when a golf ball is colder, it's harder to compress, therefore it won't go as far. If you keep it warm, I guess that takes that variable out of the equation.

It's against the rules to keep your ball warm by anything other than body heat during a competitive round or one you are posting for handicap. I have handwarmers in my pocket during the Winter and will put my ball in there too, but handicap season is closed here in CT.

When I played in cold temps, my buds and I would hoard any "Pink Lady" balls we found to use them during really cold snaps. They were a really low compression core ladies ball. I just bought some Wison Staff 50 balls that are low compression and should help in the cold temps.

We play 12 mos/yr on Hilton Head, and in Dec and Jan, morning temps can drop to around 40*. I have found that the Noodle (long and soft) works pretty well in the cold, and seems to minimize distance loss.

It's against the rules to keep your ball warm by anything other than body heat during a competitive round or one you are posting for handicap. I have handwarmers in my pocket during the Winter and will put my ball in there too, but handicap season is closed here in CT.
Really? Well, I learn something new every day! I didn't know about the heating rule. (Or maybe I read about it when it was 90 out and I mentally skipped over that part.)

Anyway, I can always count on everyone here for good info. :good:

When I played in cold temps, my buds and I would hoard any "Pink Lady" balls we found to use them during really cold snaps. They were a really low compression core ladies ball. I just bought some Wison Staff 50 balls that are low compression and should help in the cold temps.

Noodles and TM Burners are also low compression, any low compression works. I hit the same ball all the time though I don't like the mushy feel of the low compression balls off the club it feels like it is sticking to the face as it comes off and it doesn't go as far.

I've been thinking about this. Another issue around here is the fact that we lose so many balls until all the leaves are gone and that won't be until December. It's not worth it to play an expensive ball that can be lost in the fairway under a pile of leaves.

That is exactly why I play cheap balls Diane.

I'm currently playing the Nike PD Soft.... nice cheap all around ball for $15-$17 a dozen depending on where you buy them. Can even be found on sale for quite a bit less, especially at this time of year. The pro shop at my home course has them for 25% off right now - brings them down to about $14 per dozen.

I found a web site called golfballselector.com They have a pdf on there that shows the MPI compression of golf balls. Some balls of interest are the Bridgestone E6+ that has a MPI rating of 55 cover rating 95, Nike PD Soft rating of 51 cover rating 94, Srixon Tri Speed rating of 50 and cover 95, D2 feel rating 52 cover 95, Precept Lady IQ 180 rating 48 cover 96 and Wilson Zip rating 49 cover 93. The higher the number the higher the compression and harder the cover. There were several others that were in the 50's but these were some of the lowest on the list. If anyone wants the PDF file send me a pm with your email and i'll email it to you.

I found a web site called golfballselector.com They have a pdf on there that shows the MPI compression of golf balls.
Hey, thanks for that find!

Cool website! I was looking for something like this earlier this year.

Back