Re-Shaft step by step with pics

Excellent! Thanks for the tutorial. And a great set of irons to reshaft. For anybody who has never hit a Hogan Apex Plus "pure", they are simply one of the greatest feeling irons in all of golf.

So I got all my shafts pulled and my hosels cleaned. However, I can't seem to get the swing weights out of my old shafts. Do you think this is going to make a noticeable difference if I leave them out?

If you used heat, place the shaft back into the holder and the vise. A small pair of pliers and some heat should work them free with no problem. If you look closely you will see enough room for some blunt nosed pliers to grab. The heat will soften any residual epoxy from the original shaft and allow you to twist or "unscrew" the swing weight.

Does that answer your question?

J.

If you used heat, place the shaft back into the holder and the vise. A small pair of pliers and some heat should work them free with no problem. If you look closely you will see enough room for some blunt nosed pliers to grab. The heat will soften any residual epoxy from the original shaft and allow you to twist or "unscrew" the swing weight.

Does that answer your question?

J.
I don't have any blunt nosed pliers to get them out. I only have grooved, short-nosed ones that just rip up the sides.

As I said earlier, I'm not an expert but if you like how your originals were feeling, you probably want to put them back in and cut the new shafts to the same lengths. One of the swing weight components of the club is the weight, but the other is the length of the club overall, so if you change the length, you will change the weight.

J.

As I said earlier, I'm not an expert but if you like how your originals were feeling, you probably want to put them back in and cut the new shafts to the same lengths. One of the swing weight components of the club is the weight, but the other is the length of the club overall, so if you change the length, you will change the weight.

J.
Guess I'll see what I can do. Maybe I can stick a knife in that gap and pop those suckers out of it. At least move them out enough that I can grip them with my pliers.

I don't have any blunt nosed pliers to get them out. I only have grooved, short-nosed ones that just rip up the sides.

Maybe I chose my words poorly. What you describe is what I have, just standard pliers. Simply use the front where they are flat. Frankly it shouldn't be too hard. Is there a way you could show a picture?

Maybe I chose my words poorly. What you describe is what I have, just standard pliers. Simply use the front where they are flat. Frankly it shouldn't be too hard. Is there a way you could show a picture?

yrysahyp.jpg

You can already see the damage I did to one of them...

I see what you mean. Here is what I was trying to describe. I had to simulate, but you get the idea. You probably need more heat so that the epoxy inside softens and releases.

IMG_20130528_192829_747_zpseefd1fc4.jpg

if you would like to discuss, pm me a number and ill call to try and help.

J.

Thanks for the how-to! Just one question: how long do you have to turn the ferrules for approximately? Just until they are flush with the hosel?

Thanks for the how-to! Just one question: how long do you have to turn the ferrules for approximately? Just until they are flush with the hosel?

Thats all I've ever done. Usually takes about 10 or 15 spins turning with my finger like in the picture. The acetone takes care of the heavy lifting. Just make sure you keep it moving (turning).

Duplicate post....

I actually got them pulled J! Guess I just wasn't giving the heat gun enough time to work. 2 clubs didn't have them. Aside from the damage on the one, the rest came out pretty easily.

How do I put them back in? Just slip them in there and drop the head on top?

I actually got them pulled J! Guess I just wasn't giving the heat gun enough time to work. 2 clubs didn't have them. Aside from the damage on the one, the rest came out pretty easily.

How do I put them back in? Just slip them in there and drop the head on top?

Great Darren! If I had to guess I would say that the two highest numbers or the two lowest numbers did not have them. It's highly unlikely that there would be a gap in the middle of the set where there are no swing weights.

regarding installation here is what I did and why.

I went ahead and mixed up a very small batch of glue and tack glued all of them in. It took five minutes to do and here's why:

When you go to glue in the shafts, you will put some epoxy in the hosel and some around the shaft. When you join the two and press down, there will be CONSIDERABLE back pressure. It will feel like it won't fully seat. Keep the pressure on and the excess glue will ultimately escape. It's my opinion that if the swing weight was simply placed inside the shaft it may come out during the back pressure and cause you to have to remove the shaft and replace the swing weight. Not the end of the world, but a little messy and can be avoided with minimal effort.

J.

Great Darren! If I had to guess I would say that the two highest numbers or the two lowest numbers did not have them. It's highly unlikely that there would be a gap in the middle of the set where there are no swing weights.

regarding installation here is what I did and why.

I went ahead and mixed up a very small batch of glue and tack glued all of them in. It took five minutes to do and here's why:

When you go to glue in the shafts, you will put some epoxy in the hosel and some around the shaft. When you join the two and press down, there will be CONSIDERABLE back pressure. It will feel like it won't fully seat. Keep the pressure on and the excess glue will ultimately escape. It's my opinion that if the swing weight was simply placed inside the shaft it may come out during the back pressure and cause you to have to remove the shaft and replace the swing weight. Not the end of the world, but a little messy and can be avoided with minimal effort.

J.

Gotcha. So I'll just put a touch of epoxy in each shaft to set those. Is there a way to clean them off well? I don't have any sandpaper here. And do you think that mangled one will be okay if I put a little extra epoxy on the flat side of it that goes into the hosel to smooth it out?

Final question is this: according to how I sorted the shafts (those with weights and those without), I was missing weights in my 8 and 9 irons, but my PW had one. The set is 4-PW. Do you think I just made a mistake?

Yes on the gluing in. If you don't have any sand paper, you can use a nail file (Emory board) to clean up any stubborn epoxy that is keeping the weight from going in properly. All you want is to be able to get it back in. No way of knowing on the order of the clubs, but I would just guess that it was the nine and wedge that didn't have them simply because they are generally the largest heads (heaviest) in the set.

Don't let the back pressure thing freak you out. My advice is to do one club completely to figure out and get comfortable with each technique in the process. Then you will be confident going forward with the others.

J.

Throw some pics up to let everyone see your work too.

J.

Well mates, lets hope they hold

hypy2yja.jpg

My only worry...can't tell if I seated the ferrule too high or the back pressure won't keep it in there.
rura9y8y.jpg

What did you use to check the depth of the hosel against how deep the ferrule was seated? As in Post #27?

What did you use to check the depth of the hosel against how deep the ferrule was seated? As in Post #27?
Nothing. Don't have a micrometer. Everything was freehand. I think I'm going to re-install per Freddie's recommendation.

My only worry...can't tell if I seated the ferrule too high or the back pressure won't keep it in there.
rura9y8y.jpg

All of the other ones look spot on. If this is the only one you don't like, you can simply pull it and do it again. Cell-parts probably made you buy 10 or 12 ferrules so you have an extra one right? Did the others turn out as good as they look? Nice job and just re-do that one and your slick.

All of the other ones look spot on. If this is the only one you don't like, you can simply pull it and do it again. Cell-parts probably made you buy 10 or 12 ferrules so you have an extra one right? Did the others turn out as good as they look? Nice job and just re-do that one and your slick.

The others are all money. Only 2 with slight gaps.

Nothing. Don't have a micrometer. Everything was freehand. I think I'm going to re-install per Freddie's recommendation.
I don't see freddies recommendation, but I just said the same thing. I also pointed out in the post with the micrometer that you don't really need one, just something to check depth with like a tee or something. For your first time it really looks like they came out great, so just re-do that one and you should be fine. What did Freddie recommend?

I don't see freddies recommendation, but I just said the same thing. I also pointed out in the post with the micrometer that you don't really need one, just something to check depth with like a tee or something. For your first time it really looks like they came out great, so just re-do that one and you should be fine. What did Freddie recommend?

He said re-heat and slide the ferrule. I just did that. They deformed a tad but I'll smooth with acetone. If any issues I'll just reshaft 2 clubs.

Also Freddie was talking to me on Twitter which is why you didn't see it.

Back