Re-Shaft step by step with pics

He said re-heat and slide the ferrule. I just did that. They deformed a tad but I'll smooth with acetone. If any issues I'll just reshaft 2 clubs.

Also Freddie was talking to me on Twitter which is why you didn't see it.
That sounds perfect! Good deal and glad you got it sorted out. Great job for your first time!

Here's the two issue clubs after moving the ferrule and using acetone:

Little dirty and not super professional, but looks good enough for me.

amu8ydaj.jpg

There ya go. Was that the Black shafting epoxy or is the darker spots a result of the heat?

Pretty sure it's just epoxy.

Got it. Was just wondering. Congrats on your first reshaft. Wasn't that hard was it?

J.

About to try my hand at this, hopefully its as easy as it looks.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Awesome Niteowl! Just take your time and go over each process before you do anything permanent. Please post up pics to let everyone see your progress too. You got this!

J.

I wish I still lived in Frisco. I'd grab some beer and come help you out.

I wish I still lived in Frisco. I'd grab some beer and come help you out.

You should come back! We have a great group of THPers in the area!!!!

That's what I see! If you know where big mall is, I used to live out there.......when the toll way ended about right there and the only thing out there was that Home Depot. Used to play Plantation all the time. Lived around the corner. This was like '97. I moved right after they built the Tribute but have played it several times and I played with a regular group out at Firewheel too.

Good times to be sure!

Got it. Was just wondering. Congrats on your first reshaft. Wasn't that hard was it?

J.

Not at all. Just finished installing grips. Hopefully the heads stay on. Tomorrow I may re-do those two trouble shafts. Here's the finished product.

Obviously have a bit of excess tape to cut off. Took forever to build each grip up.

usaqu6ah.jpg

Not at all. Just finished installing grips. Hopefully the heads stay on. Tomorrow I may re-do those two trouble shafts. Here's the finished product.

Obviously have a bit of excess tape to cut off. Took forever to build each grip up.

usaqu6ah.jpg

Cool and congrats, they look great!

With the epoxy in the ferule, just push it in until it stops coming out and wipe it down, give it a twist if you have to. You should be able to get it so its not coming through the cracks.

With the epoxy in the ferule, just push it in until it stops coming out and wipe it down, give it a twist if you have to. You should be able to get it so its not coming through the cracks.

I got it as best I could. I'm not worried about the remainder. It's not noticeable at address at all.

Just a couple of tips that may be useful for some (apologies if already covered in the thread):

- Saving Ferrules. Boil a kettle and pour the boiling water over the ferrule, quite slowly for around 10 seconds, while continually twisting the club to ensure complete coverage. Once done, take an old gash grip and use it to grab the ferrule; twist and pull and it should release itself from the hosel. Push it up the shaft as far as it goes before the taper, out of harms way. Then heat the clubhead as usual and pull the head - the ferrule should be far enough up the shaft to not deform from the heat you apply. If you are removing an adaptor from a graphite shaft, it's even easier as you just pop the tip end of the shaft (i.e. enough to cover the ferrule) into a cup of boiling water for 10 second and follow the procedure above.
- Tight fitting ferrules. Use a gash grip to get the purchase you need and simply turn and push to get it on to the shaft, remove it from the shaft, or simply move it to where you want it to be. Remember that you won't be able to push it further up the shaft once the shaft starts to taper.
- Ferrule turning. Whilst acetone appears to be a household item in the US, it certainly isn't in the UK. If the OD of your ferrule is larger than the OD of your hosel thereby creating a lip, you can use basic nail polish remover. Use an old t-shirt or equivalent, apply the fluid, hold that to the ferrule and rotate the club with your other hand until the ferrule 'melts' down to the same OD as the hosel. You may then want to use a few quick passes with the fluid, in the same direction of the shaft, to bring back a nice shine.
- Graphite shaft cutting. First of all, as has already been noted, you should only remove graphite shafts with a puller, assuming you want to save the shaft. However, when cutting a graphite shaft to length, wrap it in masking tape before using the hacksaw which prevents the shaft from splintering.

Last edited:
Awesome tips MAB!. I especially like the one about saving the ferrules. Just an FYI, and don't tell anyone over in England, but one of the primary components in Nail Polish Remover is Acetone. :) Thanks for the tips..........Love them!

Just an FYI, and don't tell anyone over in England, but one of the primary components in Nail Polish Remover is Acetone. :)

Ah - I didn't know that! Thanks. :drinks:

[Note to self to take more interest in wife's products; there must be more stuff I can borrow for club building purposes]

Just finished the tape cleaning and these boys are officially labeled as "complete."

Tested them out by tapping them on the ground. No rattles or unusual vibrations, so I think everything held well! Good sign if you ask me. Everything feels great and it's nice to be back to my usual length! Can't wait to try them out tomorrow!

Big thanks to Jonny Mojo, Canadan, JeffReedMO, and Tadashi70 for their input and guidance as I completed my first project.

Awesome and great job!

About to try my hand at this, hopefully its as easy as it looks.

How is it going? Any progress?

Finished and cured, ready for the range tomorrow!!!

jymu2y4u.jpg

Just finished the tape cleaning and these boys are officially labeled as "complete."

Tested them out by tapping them on the ground. No rattles or unusual vibrations, so I think everything held well! Good sign if you ask me. Everything feels great and it's nice to be back to my usual length! Can't wait to try them out tomorrow!

Big thanks to Jonny Mojo, Canadan, JeffReedMO, and Tadashi70 for their input and guidance as I completed my first project.

Awesome man, I'm going to be attempting my first reshaft next week. I hope I don't screw it up!

Awesome man, I'm going to be attempting my first reshaft next week. I hope I don't screw it up!
It was really a whole lot easier than I expected.

It was really a whole lot easier than I expected.

Yeah between this and Hawk's how-to from a while back, I think I'll be fine. It's just unfortunate that I don't have a vice because that would make it easier.

Yeah between this and Hawk's how-to from a while back, I think I'll be fine. It's just unfortunate that I don't have a vice because that would make it easier.
I free handed it. JB did too when he taught me the first time. You got it, bro! Hit us up with any questions.

Back