What type of clubs?

I have gone back and forth between a set of blades and SGI clubs. I wish I saw 6 strokes but I have bad and good days with each. My ego keeps the blades in the bag more since the score pretty much evens out between irons. Now if there was a SGI putter I would be all over that.

I would play Fisher Price clubs if it would drop my handicap by 6 strokes. I would play SGI clubs if it would drop my handi by 2 strokes.

Absolutely.

Its key to remember that SGI or not, the swing still has to be at least pretty consistent to see true results let alone the thought of an "instant" band-aid, the most forgiving clubs in the world won't cover up a terrible swing or swing flaw.

That's a great point. SGIs do make a difference but won't fix bad swing flaws. They can help but the Indian still shoots the arrow

Of course I'd play whatever made me score better, but I didn't play SGIs very well and have gone to a more familiar CB design. That head felt clunky and heavy. I spun it too much and launched it too high and lost some key distance that I already can't afford to lose. I can honestly say I gave them a shot but they didn't perform for me.

I think whether or not SGI clubs help shave strokes or not has a lot to do with what your miss is. If your 'miss' is becoming all arms and closing your wrists/hands during the transition I dont think it matters what size clubhead you are swinging, aka my problem when Im off. That ball is going left and then some.
I love my medium sized irons right now and cant picture myself gaming something else at the moment, but I am going to try the Altitudes on course one day just for curiosity sake.

I'd play in a sundress and shave my legs to shave 6 strokes, so SGI would certainly be a yes.

I'm thinking of switching my current irons, which I have had for awhile, as I think the offset is making my shots draw too much. I wouldn't think the SGI clubs would help me. Most SGI sets don't look good to me as well.

It seems that some have changed their minds about the SGI irons since I first started this thread, but most still stick to a more traditional (what the pros play) look. It just goes to show how much ego and being like everyone else plays into golf and the clubs we choose. I do realize that not all golfers would/will be helped by SGI irons but a lot seem to not even consider giving them a shot. My mashie irons are like most SGI irons in that they are not as versatile as my old TM tour burners, but much more consistent for me.

It seems that some have changed their minds about the SGI irons since I first started this thread, but most still stick to a more traditional (what the pros play) look. It just goes to show how much ego and being like everyone else plays into golf and the clubs we choose. I do realize that not all golfers would/will be helped by SGI irons but a lot seem to not even consider giving them a shot. My mashie irons are like most SGI irons in that they are not as versatile as my old TM tour burners, but much more consistent for me.

One of my golf buddies, at the prompting of his instructor, switched from Ping G5's game improvement irons last year to a set of 2007 Callaway X-Forged Tour irons. Both sets were standard length, lie and had DG steel shafts. His index dropped 30% or 5 shots in the first month. My point is, clubs with more perimeter weighting, a lower cg, and lots of offset can RAISE the index of some golfers.

Yes, of course they can. Clubs have to fit the person and their swing. But misses are misses and they usually do a better job of covering up those misses than blades do. You would agree with that wouldn't you?

Your friend would be the exception to the rule IMO. Most golfers have issues with consistent ball striking and I tend to think GI and SGI help a little. I would think with the advent and growth in use of hybrid irons it is pretty self evident.

I'd game anything that still made me feel like I was making a golf swing if it dropped my scores by 6 strokes. I suspect though, I'm pretty near the limits of fitting my bag to my swing. I've had a significant scoring drop with this year's setup, but I'm sure that is more due to a hot period of swinging and playing smarter than anything else.

Short answer is yes. Long answer is probably not in anything higher than a 6I. I like my irons in the scoring clubs. I absolutely need help with longer irons though, which is why I don't carry a 4I anymore. As far as drivers go, I will try ANYTHING that helps me keep the ball in the fairway with some distance.

Yes, of course they can. Clubs have to fit the person and their swing. But misses are misses and they usually do a better job of covering up those misses than blades do. You would agree with that wouldn't you?

Your friend would be the exception to the rule IMO. Most golfers have issues with consistent ball striking and I tend to think GI and SGI help a little. I would think with the advent and growth in use of hybrid irons it is pretty self evident.

Hybrids have advantages for most players but players like me prefer a hybrid that is very close to the shape of a long iron. I, and many low index players still carry 4 irons because they are more accurate than any hybrid.

I would agree that SGI are a little more forgiving than they cavity back forged clubs that most PGA Tour and low index players use. The problem is SGI and GI irons lack the feedback which makes it much harder to tell where you misses are. Not all bogey golfers need offset or a low CG. My 15 year old son who is a beginner, for example, has an inside out swing. and has no problems getting the ball airborne. It would be silly for me to buy him SGI clubs, all of which will make his hook worse/harder to control. I would rather have him learn to play a club with no offset which eliminates all SGI irons.

Last edited:
I'd straight up play the Tin Cup way with a baseball bat, shovel, and a garden ho if it meant saving 6 strokes.

I was adamant that I would never ever ever be able to get over some things looks (my gamers for example) as visual confidence IS a huge part of the game. But I discovered finally getting these in hand at demo day that they were high, long, and stupid forgiving. Got a set from a THP'er "just for fun every now and again", played a full round with them, and was hooked. They WILL knock a couple strokes off my handicap and knowing that I can get away safely with some "off" swings and not have to be "on" all the time is judge on the confidence meter, in fact it spills over to the other clubs in the bag.

I'm on my phone... So i can't see your witb, But you've given up your i20's ?? Since jb liked this I'm going to assume you are gaming altitudes?

This interests me greatly. I think I could give up my thin top line irons. Just have to hit some SGI out on the range and let the magic happen

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I'm on my phone... So i can't see your witb, But you've given up your i20's ?? Since jb liked this I'm going to assume you are gaming altitudes?

This interests me greatly. I think I could give up my thin top line irons. Just have to hit some SGI out on the range and let the magic happen

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

You are correct in your assessment. Altitudes are game changers and mind changers (if you can get over you're predications).

Hybrids have advantages for most players but players like me prefer a hybrid that is very close to the shape of a long iron. I, and many low index players still carry 4 irons because they are more accurate than any hybrid. I would agree that they are a little more forgiving than they cavity back forged clubs that most PGA Tour and low index players use. The problem is SGI and GI irons lack the feedback which makes it much harder to tell where you misses are. Not all bogey golfers need offset or a low CG. My 15 year old son who is a beginner, for example, has an inside out swing. and has no problems getting the ball airborne. It would be silly for me to buy him SGI clubs, all of which will make his hook worse/harder to control. I would rather have him learn to play a club with no offset which eliminates all SGI irons.

I totally understand. One thing I will say that for me I can tell where I miss an iron(any type) wood or hybrid, but my misses are probably bigger than your misses and thus easier to feel. I do understand about offset and hitting the ball too high and wanting to control distance and ball height. I would have wholeheartedly agreed with you about hook with SGI and GI irons until I tried the CG16 and Mashie irons the last few years, and this comes from someone who's miss is a hook. I think what the manufacturers have done is put so much weight low in the club that it leads to more back spine than side spin. My miss with the CG16 was a block and I blamed that on the light shafts initially. I thought it allowed my hands to get through (past) the ball quicker than I was used to and thus left me susceptible the a slight block, clubs were much harder to work also. I now think I was in the habit of aiming right just a little because I played a draw and it took me a while to figure this out. This is just my experience with these two particular sets of irons and I don't think anyone should hit clubs they don't want to. My point was it just seems some dismiss them without giving them a try. Like any club they take some getting used to, but they are not for everyone. Confidence is the most important thing in golf IMHO.

Last edited:
Its key to remember that SGI or not, the swing still has to be at least pretty consistent to see true results let alone the thought of an "instant" band-aid, the most forgiving clubs in the world won't cover up a terrible swing or swing flaw.
absolutely true. and one forgiving club/set may not be forgiving to someone else since everyone's swing is different.

...Now if there was a SGI putter I would be all over that.

Isn't that the truth!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back