Pings new player irons

JTJIII

Reaction score
Handicap
As the the S57s are not to the conforming grooves what willbe their replace ment. Just wondering because the S57s were such a hit.

Last edited:
As the the S57s are not to the conforming grooves what willbe their replace ment. Just wondering because the S57s were such a hit.

I guess it really depends on what you consider conforming. Us amateurs can play them until 2024. Most are far too concerned about what they are playing on the PGA Tour. They are perfectly legal for most of us to play.

I know that but my golf trip isn't till feb but ready my GD hot list(I'm an equipment junkie I admit it, but I find it the easiest step not the hardest:D) the Burner irons seem perfect they're GI but a teacher said a single digit handicap could use em.

A single digit absolutely can play GI irons. A scratch player can play them just fine. It really depends what you are trying to accomplish. I guess my question is do you need to have conforming grooves? Are you playing in professional events?

If not, the S57s will do just fine. So will all the current wedges. New is fun and new is great. I love new equipment, but new does not have to be conforming grooves.

I had breakfast with one of my suppliers this morning, he's a 8 handicap, and plays G10 irons. Don't get too hung up on who is supposed to be using what, use what makes you happy.

New USGA Groove Rule

Ping is very against the new groove rule, and I don't see them hopping up and down about wanting to comply any time before they have to, and I suppose it'll be a bit grudgingly then.

http://www.ping.com/uploadedFiles/About/JASGrooveLetter_6apr09.pdf

Choose whatever irons make you happiest.

By the time you're ready to compete at a level that requires adherance with the new groove rule, you'll likely be eligible for sponsorship and won't have to bother with purchasing a new set of irons and wedges that comply. :D

Back