Playing With Strangers

The only time I ever play three hour rounds is when I am off in the first few groups of the day. Four hours is acceptable, and most courses around here want groups that tee off after about 11:00 or so to play in 4:30. More than that is too much.

You're lucky. Around here on a Summer weekend afternoon - it can take 5 - 5 1/2 hours.

Oh, I've played longer rounds than 4-1/2 hours. I don't like it, but I've usually set aside time to golf and I don't like leaving in the middle. Unless something like a massage comes up. hehe

I don't mind playing with strangers. I haven't played with anyone I disliked yet.

He said it was his daughter on the phone and he had to go home and give her a massage before she went back to college.

Eeeewwww! Perv-o-meter just hit tilt.

This creep notwithstanding, I play a lot as a single and normally, it is a good experience. Occasionally, I will get stuck with a group that just cannot play dead and it gets long and boring, but usually, its fine.

The father may have been a physical therapist or a massage therapist, you never know unless you asked him what he did. Did you? I know a girl who is a massage therapist and gives massages to her mother, father, brothers and sisters. It's only dirty if you think of it in that way and not in the therapeutic sense, which it is supposed to be.

The father may have been a physical therapist or a massage therapist, you never know unless you asked him what he did. Did you? I know a girl who is a massage therapist and gives massages to her mother, father, brothers and sisters. It's only dirty if you think of it in that way and not in the therapeutic sense, which it is supposed to be.

Im ok with it if he was a massage therapist but that seems like something you need to disclose after saying you have to get home to give your daughter a massage.

The thought crossed my mind, but I didn't ask because I was afraid the answer would be no and I wouldn't be able to control my reaction to his response.

I have received numerous fax massages from Asia over the years! Did the guy have a problem with English? Or is it possible you misheard?

I have received numerous fax massages from Asia over the years!

Did you have to lay on top of the fax machine?

or is it possible that he was going to give his daughter a massage and with that very little info is it possible that the problem is in the thoughts of others?

...I roll alone so when I play I get paired up in every round. At first this made me nervous 'cause I'm not the good...YET! But what did I learn...Ha! Most people ain't that good anyway. I have met some great people and out of fifty rounds maybe 3 or 4 had a problem. I like meeting new people every weekend. They're golfers. They're my kind of folks. :D

I tend to play better as a single, but maybe because I give myself to many gimmes :chicken:. I swing the driver pretty hard which tends to intimidate many people. Does anyone start playing to the level of your 'new' partner(s)?

For the most part, I've had very enjoyable rounds with strangers, regardless of their playing abilities. The ONE round that was really hideous, was a married couple of DINKS, from Boston, who just loved to critique everything everyone else did, They were the consumate Yuppies, laughed at each others jokes, and picked each other's games apart, I wanted to send them to Dr Phil, just for spite.

I play about 1/3 of my rounds alone, about 1/3 with strangers and 1/3 with friends. It is hard to get everyone out at the same time, unless you are retired.
I don't mind playing with anyone no matter how bad as long as they don't get mad or act like an a$$ about some stupid little thing that bothers them or whatever. Stay cool and we get along fine. I have played with a couple of guys in the last 3 weeks that were so bad they couldn't hit the house from the middle of their backyard but in both cases they were good natured about it, they thought I was a pro and they actually asked for help from me and I helped both of them hit the ball better than they ever had before, or at least that is what they said. I have played a few times with people who were terrible, asked for advice, and then ignored it for some reason only they know. I am fine either way.

Often, I'll decide to play golf last minute and that usually doesn't leave a lot of time to get my playing partners together, so I'll head out to the course solo. I hate playing golf alone, so I'll usually try and pair up with some strangers. I like meeting random people and learning about them, you can make some great contacts that way.

Many times, I'll walk away from the round with a phone number or business card. Ha! Is anyone else guilty of this, "Hey, let's play again sometime!" "sure, anytime, just give me a call" <-- never call..

Back