Best Wedge for Flops

Vokeys aren't bad. I'd wait for the mackdaddy2 to be released they 2 custom grinds u and c grinds both should make opening the face up very easy.

Opening a U grind will actually still increase bounce as you open the clubhead. It won't raise it as extreme as a standard grind, but raises the leading edge nontheless. It's great for bunkers, but not ideal for flop shots.

C grinds are probably the best design for a flop shot, as that is the whole intention of the design. The bounce of the club actually sits higher at standard position, and lowers slightly as you open the clubhead.

I'm looking for a 60* wedge mainly for flops and those short lob shots with an open face. I want something that will have the leading edge sit below the ball with an open face even on tight fairway lies. The leading edge of my 56* is too high when opened causing me to occasionally blade a shot. I'm leaning towards a 588 Forged or Vokey, but am open to suggestions. I apologize, but it has to be carried in Golfsmith, so no Scor :banghead: Any suggestions?

What golfsmith are you going too? I didn't think we had any local?

My atv ones have been good to me

I believe the OP meant lob shot instead of flop shot. You are correct in that a flop shot is meant for use from a bad lie to make the ball go really high to stop, but a lob shot is used from good lies where height and spin are used to stop the ball. Also, one could argue that a tight lie is the best lie that you could come across around the greens because there is nothing to get between the face and ball.

Yes the are two different shots. Does the amount of bounce needed not depend more on the conditions than on how tight the lie is - ie: hard conditions/low bounce, soft conditions/higher bounce.

To my mind for the most part a tight lie around a green would, unless you are in drought conditions, be softer and easier with mid to high bounce?

Without reading the other replies in this thread, I'm going to go ahead and recommend a few things:

1. 58-64 degrees of loft (yes, 58 might even be high enough)

2. Very low amount of bounce, less than 8 degrees if you have the right grind, and less than 5 or 6 for most sole grinds

3. I say this knowing that some may disagree, but I would recommend that for any wedge where you plan on doing a lot of "sweeping," you buff/grind the leading edge so that it is not sharp, you could even do this yourself. The sharper the leading edge, the more likely it is to dig, and the more likely you are to feel queasy about really driving hard through the ball

4. Just out of curiosity, why do you need a wedge for flops? Is it REALLY necessary?

When I played high school golf I used to think the flop was THE thing and Phil Mickelson was doing them all the time and man, how cool is that. So I spent a lot of time, a LOT of time, perfecting my flop shot. I got really good at a flop shot.

But you know what? I figured out quickly that if I spent even less time working on more basic lob and bump-and-run type of shots, even with higher lofted wedges, that I was getting more value for my time.

So... just a bit of unsolicited advice, but I'd be wary of buying a wedge mainly for any flop characteristics, and consider working more on a lob wedge that is versatile.

That's why I now carry a 58 degree wedge with a custom grind that gives me a chance at a flop if I need to, but I have not really needed to since working on a proper high-trajectory lob shot.

IMHO!

Interesting, phil says you want a lot of bounce for flop shots iirc.

~Joseph~
Via Tapatalk

High bounce for flops/lobs is absolute disaster on hardpan/ultra-tight lies. If you live south of the Mason-Dixon line, watch out!

High bounce for flops/lobs is absolute disaster on hardpan/ultra-tight lies. If you live south of the Mason-Dixon line, watch out!

I could of used it today, nothing like watching the ball pop up a couple inches and almost land in the same spot.

Of course I shouldn't be hitting it Into a ditch either.

Was kinda funny though.

~Joseph~
Via Tapatalk

I would like to apologize, I meant lob, not flop shots. Ones where I open up the face and hit a shot with a medium swing and the ball lands in mostly the same spot it landed. I hit an SM2 Vokey 58* with 8* of bounce. What would I get if I want a 60*? I'm thinking the bounce would need to change with the loft. To recap, I want a 60* version of a 58* with 8* of bounce. Any suggestions in terms of bounce?

Yes the are two different shots. Does the amount of bounce needed not depend more on the conditions than on how tight the lie is - ie: hard conditions/low bounce, soft conditions/higher bounce.

To my mind for the most part a tight lie around a green would, unless you are in drought conditions, be softer and easier with mid to high bounce?
Sorry about not getting back to you sooner. The conditions do play a role in what amount of bounce you have on your wedge. Again, depending on your angle of attack, higher bounce would be better for if the conditions are softer and if you have a steep angle of attack. A low bounce wedge is better for firmer conditions and a shallower angle of attack. I would look into technique to determine bounce rather than conditions because if you play a high bounce wedge for soft conditions and you have a shallow angle of attack, the first time you encounter a firmer lie, you will blade it. The opposite is true for low bounce, it you have a steep AoA and you play a low bounce wedge for firm conditions, the wedge will dig on a shot with softer ground. I play a 60 degree wedge with 3 degrees of bounce because I have a shallow AoA around the greens. If I encounter a soft lie, I just need to be more careful. I use that wedge in fluffy sand, soft lies, firm lies and sand and hardpan. I just change my technique a little shot to shot in order to make good contact with the ball. Just get a wedge that suits your general technique around the greens and then practice with it in order to be able to play it in all conditions.

Leaning towards a MackDaddy with 10* of bounce with a C-Grind. This C-Grind will decrease effective bounce as I open it but keep it at 10* when I leave it square. This seems optimal for my swing. I have a "normal" AoA, but get a bit steeper when I go after it. I think that this C-Grind will play very well for me. Thanks for all your help, especially PA.

Not always. I find it's actually easier for me to hit lob and/or flop shots higher when I have a tighter lie. You just really have to commit to it or you're going to bail out and thin it or blade it.

Back