Votes: 27 73.0%
  • I am a male and I do NOT shake the nozzle

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • I am a female and I shake the nozzle

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • I am a female and I do NOT shake the nozzle

Votes: 1 2.7%

• Total voters
Okay, I'm an idiot. How does it mess up the nozzle?

It backs up in the boot and causes it to click. It thinks that the next car is full. We have to get a bucket out and pull the boot back to drain it. Like I said before, the new California equipment has eliminated this problem, now it just runs down the side of your car. I am going to miss the days of the cheap people who pull up and try to get their free dribble of gas.

It backs up in the boot and causes it to click. It thinks that the next car is full. We have to get a bucket out and pull the boot back to drain it. Like I said before, the new California equipment has eliminated this problem, now it just runs down the side of your car. I am going to miss the days of the cheap people who pull up and try to get their free dribble of gas.

Ahhhhh! Now I understand.

Gracias Señor Gasman.

Pull the boot back and just get the nozzle into the tank neck. You have to hold the nozzle as far back as if it were all the way inside the tank neck. I didn't leave any gas in the boot, because I held it away. (When I tried to do it like on a nozzle that didn't have a boot, it wouldn't do anything. I apologize if the first time I tried I might have left a little in the boot - I guarantee I didn't leave any more). If the end of the nozzle is several inches away from the end of the boot, there is no way for the gas to get into the boot.

Pull the boot back and just get the nozzle into the tank neck. You have to hold the nozzle as far back as if it were all the way inside the tank neck. I didn't leave any gas in the boot, because I held it away. (When I tried to do it like on a nozzle that didn't have a boot, it wouldn't do anything. I apologize if the first time I tried I might have left a little in the boot - I guarantee I didn't leave any more). If the end of the nozzle is several inches away from the end of the boot, there is no way for the gas to get into the boot.
Vapors my friend.

Ahh. Didn't think of that. The vapors in the boot would cause it to think the next tank is full?

Ahh. Didn't think of that. The vapors in the boot would cause it to think the next tank is full?

Not the next one, its a build up throughout the day from everyone topping it off. Like I said, its not a problem in California anymore but it still gets under my skin.

Are the vapors more of an issue or is it more an issue when the actual fuel gets inside the boot? Theoretically, aren't the vapors filling up the boot while you are filling up?

(I love how a thread can turn into something else entirely from it's intended course, and this one wasn't even thread jacked! I don't think Claire has even SEEN this thread yet!)

Not the next one, its a build up throughout the day from everyone topping it off. Like I said, its not a problem in California anymore but it still gets under my skin.

So, if I try to fill up at the end of the day but nothing comes out and there is just clicking, should I get someone to blow on the nozzle until the vapors dissipate?

Are the vapors more of an issue or is it more an issue when the actual fuel gets inside the boot? Theoretically, aren't the vapors filling up the boot while you are filling up?

(I love how a thread can turn into something else entirely from it's intended course, and this one wasn't even thread jacked! I don't think Claire has even SEEN this thread yet!)

No, I think its mostly from fuel. There are venturis in the nozzles that collect most of the vapors. Its California law now to collect all of the vapors so we can save the polar bears.

So, if I try to fill up at the end of the day but nothing comes out and there is just clicking, should I get someone to blow on the nozzle until the vapors dissipate?

You can the pull the boot yourself, if nothing comes out your not doing it right. You have to lift up the hose as well.

You can the pull the boot yourself, if nothing comes out your not doing it right. You have to lift up the hose as well.

Sounds easier if I just get someone else to do it for me.

I don't shake, I do like Bakemono said and turn it upside down as I am taking out so it doesn't drip on my car or my clothes.

The boot is part of what is called a vapor recovery system. I don't think it clogs up with vapors. I think it returns the vapors to the tank keeping it away from the people refueling their cars. There's usually instructions at the pump on how to fill the tanks and they all say never top the tank off. I avoid touching or breathing the stuff because it is deadly. Carcinogens from the stuff can inter the body through the skin. Stuff today is way more toxic then the real gas of the old days. It used to be orange. Now it's kind of green. Anyway I left the nozzle when it shuts off letting it drain. Doesn't seem to be a problem really.

Claire has been having wireless router issues and hasn't been on.

Claire also doesn't pump her own gas. :angel:

Thats great that your car gets an extra gallon but its damaging the equipment that everybody else has to use. Between all of the stations I probably waste an hour of man power a day draining the nozzles from all of the people who go for that second click.
Just look at it as job security, Gasman. :D With all the money the gas station owners are making (and dont tell me they dont, the owners of all the local gas stations around here are driving brand new $50,000 trucks or luxury cars), I figure they can afford it.

I've laughed every time I've read this post. What I'd like to know is how many shakes is considered wrong?

ah.......5

Funny on the clicking thing. Mom drives a 1985 Prelude. Cute little car, and she won't give it up. But they recently changed the gas nozzles here, and they just don't work with her car--they click every tenth of a gallon or so. It takes about 11 gallons to fill her car. I did it for her today, and it was a very long, tedious process.

Funny on the clicking thing. Mom drives a 1985 Prelude. Cute little car, and she won't give it up. But they recently changed the gas nozzles here, and they just don't work with her car--they click every tenth of a gallon or so. It takes about 11 gallons to fill her car. I did it for her today, and it was a very long, tedious process.

Claire-

Don't put the nozzle in all the way. Try about 3/4 and go back from there. It has to do with the angle of the pipe that leads to the tank. Gas starts splashing up and the fume collar on the nozzle thinks the tank is full.

Claire-

Don't put the nozzle in all the way. Try about 3/4 and go back from there. It has to do with the angle of the pipe that leads to the tank. Gas starts splashing up and the fume collar on the nozzle thinks the tank is full.

Thanks; I'll tell her, but there's no guarantee she'll remember.

Did you shake it when you were finished?

Did you shake it when you were finished?

Only because with all the clicking, we couldn't tell when it was full. It ended up overflowing.

Fascinating topic, I never knew this much about a gas pump. Since I learned my new thing for the day today already, can I go home now? :confused2::clapp:

Back