It's about time Skycaddie!

solidkjames

Loves drowning golf balls
Reaction score
Handicap
9.8CGA
I just checked my Skycaddie this month and they are finally releasing the new features they have been promising. A hole fly by, a quick vue mode to see down the fairway and to obstacles and my favorite they are adding slope reads to greens so you can see the tiers and breaks on greens for approach. I think it is about time Skycaddie raised their game and from the looks of this I'm very happy to say I will be pleased they are making a valiant effort. Use the link to learn more. :banana:

http://www.skygolf.com/skygolf.aspx

Great new features. I like the greens feature.

I have been waiting for this forever. I guess my skycaddie is finally able to do the things that every other GPS out there can do...hehe

I have not seen the updates on mine as yet. Used it last Monday. Mine is probably too old of a model to handle all the new stuff....lol

I have not seen the updates on mine as yet. Used it last Monday. Mine is probably too old of a model to handle all the new stuff....lol

I think is just for the 3.5 and 5 model's. This just came out this week b/c I try and check it every week. I downloaded it but most courses will not have the beta options like the fly by and contoured greens for a while. Luckily I can go play Rock Barn where they have the Champions Tour Greater Hickory Classic every year and use those features, the courses are only 25 minutes from my house. And I want to see how well they work.

Did you have to down load the courses again for the extras to show up? I down loaded the updates to, and it says my rig has them. Then again I have an SG-3, so as you pointed out it probably won't work on mine. It's pretty old so a new one is in my future. I bought a newer (different brand) GPS but it it a had to go back to the dealer with muliple failures. I am looking at different brand now.
I think is just for the 3.5 and 5 model's. This just came out this week b/c I try and check it every week. I downloaded it but most courses will not have the beta options like the fly by and contoured greens for a while. Luckily I can go play Rock Barn where they have the Champions Tour Greater Hickory Classic every year and use those features, the courses are only 25 minutes from my house. And I want to see how well they work.

Did you have to down load the courses again for the extras to show up? I down loaded the updates to, and it says my rig has them. Then again I have an SG-3, so as you pointed out it probably won't work on mine. It's pretty old so a new one is in my future. I bought a newer (different brand) GPS but it it a had to go back to the dealer with muliple failures. I am looking at different brand now.

I downloaded the new caddie sync, then the new patch, and I reinstalled my courses. When I pull up a couse in demo mode it has the new quick vue mode for all courses. No courses I have loaded have the other two features just yet but I'm sure when the beta is over they will make it more wide release.

I don't see why it's needed in the first place.

Unless you play different courses all the time and don't have the opportunity to familiarize yourself with a course, why would you need a flyover or green contour feature?

I play about 10 courses regularly and of them I play two or three exclusively (and I think that's pretty much what most people do). As such, I am intimately familiar with the contours of all of the greens and the layouts of all of the fairways, so flyovers and contour maps would just be preaching to the choir.

That's why I'm quite happy with my (what is now a vintage dinosaur) SkyCaddie SG2; it gives me the distance I am from where I want to go and that's all I'll ever want or need. I'll bet that if I had the flyover feature, I'd end up arguing with it because it would probably be showing me that the dip in the sixth fairway comes before the bunker when I know that it's after the bunker.

As I wrote, if you play different courses all the time, then all of the bells and whistles may be just fine. But if you're like most people, they're completely unnecessary.

Tell you what...when they come out with a way to show me exact pin locations, then I'd be the first one on line for that particular upgrade. But until that happens, I'll stick with my little dinosaur.

-JP

I have a SG2 (old) and there are times I want to throw it. I will have a signal and then move to my ball and find that it has lost the satellites.
Is this a problem with my unit?
Is it a problem with SG2?
Is the new SG5 better?

Back