Every so often my club will have a net skins game for anybody that wants to play that day. I always get in, but as a low handicapper, I normally don't have much chance at winning. Last time, however, I made natural birdies on 3 of the 4 hardest holes on the course. The guy I was playing with was getting ticked off because I don't normally make a lot of birdies. I can par a course to death, but just don't make many birdies. I had 6 total that day and walked away with 2 of the 4 skins that paid out. I haven't made that many birdies since.

As a low handicapper you actually have an advantage IF everyone is carding an accurate handicap. The GHIN formula favors low index golfers, as it should.

As a low handicapper you actually have an advantage IF everyone is carding an accurate handicap. The GHIN formula favors low index golfers, as it should.

This is true in the general sense - certainly in net stroke play against another player, somewhat less in match play, but definitely not, IMO, in net skins type games or net stroke play over 18 holes with a decent number of people.

With 40 people on the course, many of which are high handicappers, a low capper is likely to have to eagle a hole to win a skin. There are going to be net birdies on most holes.

Now, if natural birdies or eagles take precedence over nets, then it evens out quite a bit.

With a stroke play tournament, a low capper almost never wins the net game. Someone from the group of mid to high handicaps will shoot a net 66 or something.

But, yes, in one-on-one situations the odds favor the lower handicap.

We have 3 different money games running at my club throughout the week. The Tues-Fri game is the one I play most frequently:

Teams are 4-5 depending on numbers If all the teams are 5 man the team game is 3 ball gross. If any are 4 man (which most are) the team game is 2 ball gross.

$15 entry goes towards the front/back/overall individual medal (net).

The team game is $5 per man per hole, match play. So if team A finishes 3 up over team B, each player from team B owes $15. The team games are usually pretty even. One team winning more than 4-5 over another is pretty rare.

You collect dots for birdies, closest to the pin on par 3s and hole outs from off the green (has to be for par or better). The birdie dots are also skins so if you are the only one to birdie a hole you'll get the carry overs from the previous holes that either had no birdies or more than one.

You collect $1 from every other player for every dot more than that player that you have.

It's a tough game for me because I don't make many birdies and the dot game is what can really make or break you, especially if there are 20+ people playing. I've played that game plenty of times and shot 72-73 and finished with only 1 dot.

Worst day in that game for me was losing $180. Best day was one where I went +6 on the front but turned it around and shot -4 on the back. Ended up winning just shy of $500. Most days I'm somewhere in the +/- $40 range.

Castor and I played closest to the pin for a drink yesterday and he squeezed out the victory. I don't really play for money because people get too serious sometimes. If it's a group of good friends I wouldn't be opposed I guess.

We always play what we like to call "the putting game"

Its very simple and everyone of all skill levels can play...

Chip/putt from off the green and it goes in $5

Once all players on the green each player has a chance to 1 putt:

Farthest out $4
Second out $3
Third out $2
Closest $1

If you make your one putt you win that amount for the hole. We also play $2 greenies.

Usually only bet lunch lol. There's a group that plays a game called "Vegas" at my home course and boy can that get expensive.

http://golf.about.com/od/golfterms/g/bldef_lasvegas.htm

The guys that play that always have a rule if both play on one team birdie the same hole, you put the biggest number first then triple it. They usually play 50 cents a point.

Just reading back through the thread - I hadn't heard of this game (I thought I knew them all), but wow that could be some big money at $.50 per. You better have someone on the team playing well...

Just reading back through the thread - I hadn't heard of this game (I thought I knew them all), but wow that could be some big money at $.50 per. You better have someone on the team playing well...

No kidding! Some guys play .25 a point but most play .50 and some guys will have 3 or 4 games going!

Before i moved years ago i had a friend who I would bet with, $.50 a hole. Not big money by any means but it did keep me focused. Lots of fun with a little money on the line.

I'm hoping it helps my game with the coming work golf outing. My group has 5 people in it, 2 frequent golfers, myself (just picking it back up after a 10 year hiatus, could break 100 on my good days back then), my manager who's played a couple times, and one female coworker who has never played. It's me and the 2 non golfers against the other 2 guys. They are giving us 30 shots, we're playing best ball on both sides, and whoever rides with the female will scramble with her as well.

Yeah, it's complicated. But when you get down to it, it's me against the other 2 guys, with me getting 30 shots. both of them shoot mid 80s on good days. I figure if I can break 100, it's all but over.

No kidding! Some guys play .25 a point but most play .50 and some guys will have 3 or 4 games going!

My weekend group used to play this format for $0.25 per point. We do a round robin for partners (switch every 6 holes). Birdies flip, birdie/birdie or eagle doubles, birdie and eagle flip then double, and eagle/eagle (done once!) flip and triple.

The highest amount one of our group had ever lost after 18 holes at $0.25 a point was ~$85... We stopped playing this format after that lol

My weekend group used to play this format for $0.25 per point. We do a round robin for partners (switch every 6 holes). Birdies flip, birdie/birdie or eagle doubles, birdie and eagle flip then double, and eagle/eagle (done once!) flip and triple.

The highest amount one of our group had ever lost after 18 holes at $0.25 a point was ~$85... We stopped playing this format after that lol

These crazy dudes play eagle is times 10. 2 eagles times 20. I think the worst day anyone had done there they lost like $500-$600. Would make me wanna puke.

I think betting makes the game more fun. I usually bet closest to the pin, or skins, or lunch. Even complements. haha

Hahahaha! I love this. Next time I go out we are most definitely betting for complements. That's awesome.

A buddy and I will go play best ball we have never played for money but will play hole 9 and 18 ctp's for shots. Sometimes i win sometimes lose he is a 7 handicap. Probably will be losing alot he bought a new Cleveland rtx 56 and hit 5 flags on monday.

I play a friendly game with some buddies every couple weeks. We all throw in $20 and play low front, low back, skins, pinshots and cards (1 for par, 2 for birdie, etc). I keep everyone's handicap so we use that to even the playing field. Unless one of us has a "career day", it usually comes out pretty even so no one loses to much money.

Sometimes we play "the animal game". There are 4 animals (Frog = water, Camel = sand, Gorilla = OB or lost ball, Snake = 3 putt). The last player to have each animal has to pay each of the other players $1 for every animal. It's fun!

I try to avoid betting or playing for any amount of money, because it makes me take everything too serious and I quit having fun. This causes my play to suffer as well.

I don't mind playing for money, so long as the money being wagered does not take away from the enjoyment of the game. It's different for different people. At my home course, the guys usually put up $20 and captains pick teams of four. $15 of each bet goes to a $5 Nassau (two best balls out of four), and the other $5 goes into a skin pot. The most you could lose is your $20, barring any side bets. Sometimes we get 5 or 6 teams of 4, and then you can win a little money if you birdie the right holes!

Back