My First Real Fitting

Franklin51

On the Verge
Reaction score
Handicap
Let me start off with telling about my game. I am a mid to low 80s golfer. I don't practice like I should and tend to throw away shots on the course. I had been playing the R11 irons and ATV wedges. I will go and say I enjoyed my R11 and ATVs but felt there was better for me. I was somewhat fit for the R11s at my local demo day but not really the attention I felt I should get for buying clubs. So after selling my R11 and ATVs I scheduled an appointment at my local Golfsmith with their master fitter Raleigh. I arrived about 10:15 and started to warm up on the bay. Oddly enough I picked up a JPX Pro 6 iron and started to swing away. After about 10 minutes Raleigh came to the bay and watched a few. I told him that JPX was a nice feeling club. After a brief talk he asked me what I was looking at. I told him I kind of had my heart set on some Ping G25 but that I was open to whatever would help me get my game where I want it. He asked about what shaft I was playing and I told him stock KBS 90 in stiff. He then handed me the shaft optimizer from Mizuno. After 3 swings he plotted the data on the screen and showed me indeed stiff is where I needed to be but in a heavier shaft than I was playing. The 1st suggestion was TT XP S300, 2nd was PX in stiff, and 3rd was KBS Tour in stiff. Oddly enough my data was really close to Luke Donald's which is the only thing our games will ever have in common. The then fixed me up a JPX with the TT shaft. It felt amazing. I was flying the 6i about 165-170 which is about 10 yards further than my R11. The proximity numbers were all within about 5-10 yards. Next up was the G25. For some reason me and this club just did not mix. I never got the distance or the consistency with it as I did the JPX. Next he brought me a Ping I20 which I was a little skeptic about. To my surprise I hit it much better than the G25 but still not to the level of the JPX. All these were followed by me hitting the Xhot, TT 588, and the RBZ. In the end we narrowed it down to the JPX, I20, and TT 588. After than we went to the lie board which showed I needed about 2 degrees upright. After adjusting the headed I hit about 10-15 balls with each club again tracking each one side by side. While all was good clubs it was very clear the JPX gave me the best results. After deciding on the JPX head we went to changing shafts around. I was really wanting to hit the KBS due to having them in my R11. While the KBS felt good and gave good numbers I was consistently about 5-7 yards shorter with it than the TT. In the end it was decided I would go 4-GW in the JPX with TT S300 shafts, 2 degrees upright. As far as sand wedge I chose the MP-T4 with DG spinner shaft also 3 degrees upright. All and all this was a great and eye opening experience. I will never buy clubs without being fit because if I had I would have chosen the worst club of all I hit today for me. I had my heart set on Pings but the JPX just flat our beat it.

Nice write up. Welcome to the JPX fraternity.

Nice write up. Welcome to the JPX fraternity.
Thanks. They told me they could bend them and I could have them today but I just for some reason would rather have Mizuno bend them.

Glad to hear you had a good experience today. The 825 Pros are a solid choice. Great combination of feel and forgiveness you have there.

Glad to hear you had a good experience today. The 825 Pros are a solid choice. Great combination of feel and forgiveness you have there.

I have the regular 825 not Pros. I honestly blind folded couldn't tell you the difference

Still a solid choice. You certainly made the right decision to order them built to specs.

Still a solid choice. You certainly made the right decision to order them built to specs.

Yea I didn't really feel real comfortable having them bent there at Golfsmith.

Make sure to take them to a fitter/builder and confirm the lofts and lies. Sometimes a club or two is off a little, not often, but it's always good practice to have them checked before u hit them.

Sounds like you had a great fitting and got a great set if sticks too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Sounds like you had a great fitting and got a great set if sticks too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I think so. I was amazed to hit one club then pick the jpx up and see the difference

Solid write up Franklin! I'm glad to hear it all worked out for you:) I can't wait to get a fitting like this. Hope the Mizunos give you the best advantage for your game ever.

Greta read Franklin. I'm definitely persuaded to get fit before buying my irons in a couple of months.

Greta read Franklin. I'm definitely persuaded to get fit before buying my irons in a couple of months.

I am a firm believer now

I feel so. Just need to feel out the fitter. I had a choice actually between those two. My times in golf galaxy the help I got was so so. I mean I may be wrong saying this but I don't want my fitter to be a higher handicap than me I think they'd be just fine tho

Hit 'em well! I love my 825 Pro's.

Watch this video and imagine you're watching them make your custom set. :)

[video=youtube;2DPJGOP-VO0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DPJGOP-VO0[/video]

Nice writeup. Going into a fitting with an open mind is the way to go. Hope you enjoy your new clubs.

Team JPX!! Welcome to the club. I've been playing my 800HD's for about a month now and I couldn't be happier, you made a great choice.

Excellent write-up! I'm glad that you found the correct clubs for you! Congrats!

I'm guessing that was the GolfSmith in Brentwood, TN? Raleigh's a good guy.

Back