What would new irons do for me?

JCoop

Reaction score
Handicap
19.2 USGA
I'm currently playing some well used and loved Tommy Armour 845 Evos that I inherited. I hit these irons pretty well and I like em. I suspect though, that I might be missing out on something by not updating my technology. Last year I upgraded from an old Orca driver to a 2009 Burner and it was like night and day. Would I find similar results by getting new irons?

Depends on the person. Some will and some wont. Since switching to newer technology irons that included using hybrids, my game has changed dramatically.

I switched from @ 5 year old super game improvement irons to new game improvement irons this year. The differences were definitely noticable. That said, you may want to think more specifically about what you want or expect to get out of the new clubs, rather than just generically seek technology upgrades. In other words, there could be older clubs that are able to give you what you are looking for and there could be newer clubs that don't.

A fitting could help you out if it turns out that your current clubs are way out of spec for you. Having clubs that are too flat, upright, long, short, wrong shaft flex, etc. can really mess with someone's game.

As JB said though, it's going to depend on the person, as some people are fitted to standard length, lies, etc.

I switched from @ 5 year old super game improvement irons to new game improvement irons this year. The differences were definitely noticable. That said, you may want to think more specifically about what you want or expect to get out of the new clubs, rather than just generically seek technology upgrades. In other words, there could be older clubs that are able to give you what you are looking for and there could be newer clubs that don't.

Came in here to say this. I got considerably more forgiveness from Burner 2.0's than I did from Rocketbladez, for example.

I recommend get fit, try a lot of models, and if there's any clubs I would say to kind of ignore the price tag, it's irons. They're the difference between a GIR and a sideslope chip shot onto a sliver of the green or a flop shot over a sand trap.

I came back to try to answer your question more specifically. Here is what I got out of new irons:
* More distance, higher trajectory and more forgiveness on toe misses and thinned shots. These can be pretty purely chalked up to technology differences.

* Better dispersion. This is probably a combo of shaft technology and fit (i.e., I didn't realize it at the time but the old clubs did not have an optimal shaft for me).

* Comparable overall forgiveness. This is a close call. But it is probably true that technology made the new GI clubs comparable in overall forgiveness to the older SGI clubs.

You may find that you hit the ball farther and that your long/mid irons are easier to hit.

Thanks for the replies. Interesting points - like some older clubs might be better for me than some newer clubs. Hadn't thought of that. Should getting fit be first on my list? Seems logical, now that I think about it.

You may find that you hit the ball farther and that your long/mid irons are easier to hit.

That would be awesome! I already love hitting my 4i. I wish I had a 3. I wish I had a 2! Sunday I couldn't hit my driver or even the FW to save my life so I put them away and teed everything up with the 4i.

Thanks for the replies. Interesting points - like some older clubs might be better for me than some newer clubs. Hadn't thought of that. Should getting fit be first on my list? Seems logical, now that I think about it.

If it were me and I was going to buy new clubs, I would get fitted for them and hit the actual iron before I ordered them. Lot's of stores/pro shops have fitting carts that have 6 or 7 irons in all different specs, shafts, etc.

I came back to try to answer your question more specifically. Here is what I got out of new irons:
* More distance, higher trajectory and more forgiveness on toe misses and thinned shots. These can be pretty purely chalked up to technology differences.

* Better dispersion. This is probably a combo of shaft technology and fit (i.e., I didn't realize it at the time but the old clubs did not have an optimal shaft for me).

* Comparable overall forgiveness. This is a close call. But it is probably true that technology made the new GI clubs comparable in overall forgiveness to the older SGI clubs.

I recently went from X-14s (SGI) to Ci11s. This has been my experience, for the most part.
Distance gains are greatest at the bottom of the bag for me. GW is comparable to my last PW. I don't notice any real change in the 4/5i for distance.
MUCH higher flight, back to what I was seeing a few years back.

Dispersion is...well, on me. I don't see a huge change, but that's my swing this year.

And mishits hurt direction more than distance. Fat is fat and there's no help there, but thin still goes approx. where I intend.

Agree, get fitted for your irons. My scores have dropped a lot. Like you, I was using off the shelf Tommy Armours. I was fit for new Ping G25's, + 1/4 and Green dot 2* upright. I'm more consistent now. My thought before being fitted was "if I'm fit properly, and I hit a bad shot... It's the painter, not the paint brush!" I'm more confident knowing that my irons will never be the problem, it's my swing, and that can be fixed or at least worked on.

The other thing about older clubs, say a year two removed from the latest... you get great deals on them, and they will work just as well for you! I bought the G25's new, then went to G15's and G20's for hybrids, fairway wood and driver. I did get new wedges however.

I saved a lot of money compared to ALL brand new, and have been extremely happy with my purchases. Since I'm a high handicapper like you, I suspect you could benefit from a good fitting, and slightly older technology if cash is an issue. I had a budget to stay within. Worked for me, and I have more confidence knowing my irons and wedges are just right for me.

Such a wide open question.

It's gonna depend on how well you hit your current irons and how well they truly fit you and your swing.

You could gain a club or two in distance, tighten dispersion etc etc.

The only way to know is to get #'s off a monitor and the best way to do that is a fitting.

Back