Tips for playing private clubs.

ParDanger

Reaction score
Handicap
First of all I want to say I've enjoyed reading all the information posted here.

I apologize if this question has been asked in the past and I'm rehashing it but I was unable to find a link. My goal is to play all the courses in my state. I was wondering if there is a way to play private courses in order to complete that goal. I've joined a tour league that plays some, but a lot of them say no. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Most private courses you can play as a guest of a member but other than that I don't know.

I was gonna say don't wear jorts, wife beater tees, swear, drink lots of beer and pee on trees. But yes, it pretty much takes knowing a member who will invite you. I do that and just pay them for the "assessment" the next month.

My favorite way to get on a private club is to play in a charity event there, they have them just about every Monday so a little research can get you a long way. Granted a bunch of these events a scrambles but if you can find one that is best ball you are set. Even if it is a scramble you can still cross it off your list, and get a tax write off in the process.

Most of the better private clubs are off limits unless you know a member. Many will allow you to play if you're a member at an equally exclusive private club, but the top clubs are off limits unless you have an invite.

I was gonna say don't wear jorts, wife beater tees, swear, drink lots of beer and pee on trees. . .

. . . or voted democrat.

(Have just been reading "A Good Walk Spoiled.")

Tedski

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read."-- G. Marx

The charity events are a good option. Usually it will be quite expensive and you'll need others, but it is a way to get on. Also check for state/local amateur events that might be holding a tournament at the course that you could enter. Another option that might work is to befriend a club pro at a course you play regularly. Typically if they know the other courses club pro they can make a call and get you on the course.

Here are some things to try: Boxgroove https://www.boxgroove.com/ might get you on some of the private courses in your state. If you are a member of a club, your pro can get you on lots of other courses by calling their pro. Check on corporate memberships by your employer. Watch for the club to have their "invitational" tournament and play that. Our state golf association has tournaments and member play days at clubs around the state, sign up for stuff like that. Of course the direct approach may work as well, call the pro at the club, sometimes they will let you off during slack times.

When I was looking into joining the club I belong to now I visited it and four others in the area. Every one of them let me and my guests (a foursome) play and either just charged cart fee or totally comped the round. This wouldn't work away from your home area but might be a possibility. I never asked to be comped and would have paid a guest rate, that was their choice and I was truly looking to join. My friends kept joking that we should stay on the Country Club tour and not join anywhere but I ended up joining one and switched a year later to one of the others we had played and I'm still there.

There are also some of the private courses on golfnow.com, clickitgolf.com, and sites like that. Just as others have mentioned, private courses are slow during the week and try to pick up a little extra revenue during certain months. The ultra exclusive clubs will most likely be only with a member though.

just be nice and follow etiquette

Back