Cobra AMP CELL Irons Preview

Played my first round with these today and I will say that everything carried over to the course and then some. I only shot a 90 but that's because I was shooting over the green quite often with my approach shots. I have never hit the ball this high before, and it seems to be adding a lot of distance.

I used to watch the distances that people on here hit their irons in envy, but now I understand. I flew a green today with a 9 iron from 145 yards with a crappy lie. I hit 9 iron into a 155 yard Par 3 pin high. Last week I was using a 7 iron and hoping I made perfect contact. My playing partner was hitting a 6 iron into the same green. When I showed him what I hit, he said he was moving up to the yellow tees.

I understand now that I should have been playing a GI iron a long time ago, but there's no looking back now. I am playing again tomorrow, and now that I am a little more familiar with my distances, I should score a bit better.

Played my first round with these today and I will say that everything carried over to the course and then some. I only shot a 90 but that's because I was shooting over the green quite often with my approach shots. I have never hit the ball this high before, and it seems to be adding a lot of distance.

I used to watch the distances that people on here hit their irons in envy, but now I understand. I flew a green today with a 9 iron from 145 yards with a crappy lie. I hit 9 iron into a 155 yard Par 3 pin high. Last week I was using a 7 iron and hoping I made perfect contact. My playing partner was hitting a 6 iron into the same green. When I showed him what I hit, he said he was moving up to the yellow tees.

I understand now that I should have been playing a GI iron a long time ago, but there's no looking back now. I am playing again tomorrow, and now that I am a little more familiar with my distances, I should score a bit better.

Good stuff. I know exactly what you mean about flying over greens and actually being happy about that I just got the AMP Cells Monday and did the exact same thing on Wednesday in my first round with the clubs. No range work for me just took them out and got after it.

Also the high ball flight is something that I will have to get used to as well. I was about 130-135 or so and had to get over a hanging tree off to the left to get to the green and I took PW and absolutely crushed it and it flew so high in the air I was amazed. Using my old set with this distance that could have been a full 9 iron or and easy 8 ( never a good idea hahah).

Kinda enjoying that we both are getting to experience these awesome irons at the same time. Looking forward to hearing more from your round tomorrow. Take it easy and hit em well!

well I bit, found a new set of blue amp cells for $269 shipped!!...too good to pass up. Might be 1/4" too short for me, but I really doubt it will be an issue, and worst cast I coudl always add an extension. I think I will probably be changing the stock grips though, need midsize. If they work out, there will be a set of +1" G25's for sale soon :)

well I bit, found a new set of blue amp cells for $269 shipped!!...too good to pass up. Might be 1/4" too short for me, but I really doubt it will be an issue, and worst cast I coudl always add an extension. I think I will probably be changing the stock grips though, need midsize. If they work out, there will be a set of +1" G25's for sale soon :)

Great price...enjoy

I'm having a very unexpected problem with these irons..........

I can't seem to hit a low punch shot with them from trouble. Everything gets up in the air quickly, which I typically love and have been struggling with for years. But I was in the trees twice today and had to keep the ball low and the first one I hit a sawed off PW from back in my stance and it popped right up in the air into the tree limbs. The 2nd time it happened, I tried to use a 5 iron to keep it lower and still got it 15ft off the ground with the ball super far back in my stance.

These things were built to get the ball into the air. I always complained about not being able to hit my MP57's high enough to get over trouble, but I can't seem to get these to stay near the ground.

1st World Problems, I know.

I can't seem to hit a low punch shot with them from trouble. Everything gets up in the air quickly, which I typically love and have been struggling with for years. But I was in the trees twice today and had to keep the ball low and the first one I hit a sawed off PW from back in my stance and it popped right up in the air into the tree limbs. The 2nd time it happened, I tried to use a 5 iron to keep it lower and still got it 15ft off the ground with the ball super far back in my stance.

These things were built to get the ball into the air. I always complained about not being able to hit my MP57's high enough to get over trouble, but I can't seem to get these to stay near the ground.

I know this feeling all too well and have started using my hybrids for this shot.

I haven't read through this whole thread, but I was wondering if anybody can give a comparison of these to the original AMP irons?

I use my PW for these low punch shots often when I am in trouble. I treat it like a putt but I really deloft the club by putting green my hands forward. It does take some practice but keep working at it and you will get it.

Not much to report from my lackluster round yesterday but I am starting to think that these irons are at least a club difference distance wise. So this will require quite a bit of adjustment but I will get there.

On another note I love the 4 iron I only got a chance to hit it once off the tee and I can see my self using this off the tee more and more. Nice ball flight and straight as an arrow.

Best shot was a 6 iron from about 160 out to a very back pin location and over a marsh pond and woods to the right. I had about a 20 foot Window to see the pin and I pured it right through and it was tracking to the pin. I was about 15 feet short of the pin but up hill missed the birdie putt but it still felt great!

I am going to take these to my local range this week and just get some more feedback on the distances.

Hoping to get these to the range tomorrow just for a little session. I would really like to get some more feel for the distances before my round this weekend. Hopefully will have some more to report tomorrow evening.

Not much to report from my lackluster round yesterday but I am starting to think that these irons are at least a club difference distance wise. So this will require quite a bit of adjustment but I will get there.

On another note I love the 4 iron I only got a chance to hit it once off the tee and I can see my self using this off the tee more and more. Nice ball flight and straight as an arrow.

Best shot was a 6 iron from about 160 out to a very back pin location and over a marsh pond and woods to the right. I had about a 20 foot Window to see the pin and I pured it right through and it was tracking to the pin. I was about 15 feet short of the pin but up hill missed the birdie putt but it still felt great!

I am going to take these to my local range this week and just get some more feedback on the distances.

I was playing a shorter course (6000 yards) today and wasn't having a very good ball striking round, especially with driver and fairways, so the 4 and 5 irons got a serious workout today. I've never been this confident with long irons before.

I was playing a shorter course (6000 yards) today and wasn't having a very good ball striking round, especially with driver and fairways, so the 4 and 5 irons got a serious workout today. I've never been this confident with long irons before.

Nice I have to agree with you on this man. It is really early in my time with these irons but I already feel pretty comfortable. The 4 iron in my old set was un hitable for me. Haha

Really hope the range will help me going forward with these irons

I am looking at both the altitudes and the amp cell irons. Have any of you hit both of these and can tell me what you guys thought. I have hit both and like them both. Want to get more opinions and do some more research.

I also want to schedule a golftec fitting but do to work and the closest being 3 hours away having trouble finding time to do it

I am looking at both the altitudes and the amp cell irons. Have any of you hit both of these and can tell me what you guys thought. I have hit both and like them both. Want to get more opinions and do some more research.

I also want to schedule a golftec fitting but do to work and the closest being 3 hours away having trouble finding time to do it

I think they are both very different irons. I like the lack of offset on the Altitudes and I think they are a little more forgiving. With that said I prefer the traditional look of the AMP Cell's and don't feel that you give up much if anything for distance.

I was originally fit into the Altitudes, but then hit the Amp Cells and cancelled my order. I actually have a couple Altitudes here at the house that I bought for the transition to them before I hit the Amp Cells.

I found the Amp Cells to actually launch higher for me and were longer. But others have had the opposite results. The 7 iron for the Altitudes was my 160 yard club, the 7 iron for the Amp Cells is my 170 yard club. Both were a lot longer than my Mizuno MP57s.

I think they are both very different irons. I like the lack of offset on the Altitudes and I think they are a little more forgiving. With that said I prefer the traditional look of the AMP Cell's and don't feel that you give up much if anything for distance.

I do like the more traditional look to the amp cell. And I like that the whole bag would then match. Since I have the amp cell driver and 4 wood (looking into the 5/7 wood)

I do like the more traditional look to the amp cell. And I like that the whole bag would then match. Since I have the amp cell driver and 4 wood (looking into the 5/7 wood)

Where are you at in NC? If it's anywhere near me, you can try out both.

Where are you at in NC? If it's anywhere near me, you can try out both.

I live in havelock. About 30 minutes from Atlantic beach. 2 30 hours east of Raleigh

Thinking about switching to these from my i10s but a little bit hesitant because I've never played a true player's iron. (the pro version)

This place is pure evil to my bank acct. AMP Cell irons on the way.

This place is pure evil to my bank acct. AMP Cell irons on the way.

Haha honestly I know how you feel. You will absolutely love these irons, cant wait to hear your thoughts. Enjoy buddy.

Found a deal on an orange set I couldn't pass up. Would've preferred the silver, but these will suffice.

ampcell_zps8ecbc8ff.jpg

Would you guys consider these GI or SGI. Read online that these are best for people woth 10-18 handicap. I am a 21. I was just in dicks looking at these and playing around with them for almost an hour. I am in serious ponder mode

Would you guys consider these GI or SGI. Read online that these are best for people woth 10-18 handicap. I am a 21. I was just in dicks looking at these and playing around with them for almost an hour. I am in serious ponder mode

You would be fine. These are very forgiving and easy to hit.

Back