adjustable driver/FW

ulle73

Reaction score
Handicap
when adjust loft on a driver/FW, lowering the loft should make it less spinnier? equals easier to hit straight? But i found it the other way around...

I guess it depends on swing etc. But in theory, lower loft/lower spinning heads+shaft = straigher shots?

Just because a club is adjustable and SHOULD affect shot shape etc doesn't mean a thing in my mind. I can have my f/w set to 13* and closed face yet still lose it right from time to time. It's a case of the indian and not the arrow.

Low loft will take away back spin but add side spin. High loft should add back spin but take away side spin. High loft, in theory, should equal more fairways.

Low loft will take away back spin but add side spin. High loft should add back spin but take away side spin. High loft, in theory, should equal more fairways.

Lets say i have a 9,5 driver, with a high launch shaft, and a 11 degree driver with Low launch. Will the backspinn depend more on loft Than on shaft? In theory, ofc there are tons of different shafts. Bit you get the point :)

This.
Also add in shorter length, this is why most hit their 3W better than a driver

tappin from my big as note2

Lets say i have a 9,5 driver, with a high launch shaft, and a 11 degree driver with Low launch. Will the backspinn depend more on loft Than on shaft? In theory, ofc there are tons of different shafts. Bit you get the point :)

Since shaft kickpoint doesn't necessarily mean spin, the spin will depend more on the loft in that instance. At least that is my understanding. At the same time, the shafts will most definitely help create spin, since it's the shaft delivering the clubhead to the ball. I would recommend finding a shaft that delivers good spin numbers, examine launch angle, if you need more increase the loft on your driver.

great! thanks for the answers! play the r11s driver, always had it on max loft, hit very high shots, but dont think i lose alot of distance, but adds alot of accuracy. And got an matching FW from a frind today, and played around with the settings there, went with "my-thought" that lower spin equals lower side spin as well, but clearly that was not the case...

Along these same lines, if you play a 9.5 loft, but tee it up and slightly forward to hit it on the upswing and launch it higher, is that similar to hitting a 10.5 or 11 backspin wise?

If I tee it with half the ball above the crown and just inside my instep I don't carry it as far and I'm not as accurate.

Back