Play This Hole - Short Par 4

Hit a 7-iron to 156, leaving 100 in.

Hit a PW, aiming for the center of the green. If it fades on me, fine - I'll be on the right side.

2-Putt for par and walk away happy.

That's way I'd play. Keep it away from trouble, most days. On a good day - hybrid to about 60 and wedge it on.

3 hybrid starting at right edge of the left bunker, should draw a bit or even stay straight, should leave me with a pitch and a putt for a birdie.

4 iron(most solid iron in my bag) to a short pitch and 1 putt birdie!

Unless there is no wind in the face and I nutted it to the front edge which I would have a 2 putt birdie with a little look at eagle.

I'm hitting 3 wood. Don't think I could get a 3 wood over the green here. Most likely I'm probably a little short and right which still gives me a good chance at getting up and down for birdie.

7i off the tee to the left side fairway. Then take my 50* wedge to the right middle of green. Defn. want to stay away from the front of the green as it looks to slope back to fairway (obviously back too). 2 putt and move one. I'm just thinking damage control.

A baby fade with a 3 wood gets me over the bunkers and just short of the green. If I keep it in the fairway I can play an aggressive checking pitch to the hole. If it ends up in the rough I pitch it to the center of the green and make par.

I would attempt to hit my driver too hard and top one into the water, then I would 7 iron to the fairway, wedge in, and 2 putt for double bogey :p

Seriously, forget the driver and I would play safe and hope for a decent birdie putt!

I'd hit a 3 wood towards the right side of the green. If I hit it really well, I'd be just short or on the front of the green.

Probably my 3w cuz I hate the safe way. Nice fade to the right parallel with the curve of the water. If I'm lucky it rolls in the hole. Bababooey

7 iron to 90 yards and a lob wedge to hopefully inside 15 feet. I have learned that I make a lot more birdies from 90 yards than I do from 20 yards off the green or in a bunker

6 iron to 100 yds

Pw from there

I play a fade( cough slice) so would have to hang over water to go for it. Magically when there is trouble left my ball goes straight. Imagine that.

256 is full swing driver for me. By the time I'm at the 15th I'll know if I want to give it a try.

If not, I'd hit 6 iron and leave myself with a smooth gap wedge into the center of the green.

Hit a 7-iron to 156, leaving 100 in.

Hit a PW, aiming for the center of the green. If it fades on me, fine - I'll be on the right side.

2-Putt for par and walk away happy.

My plan as well. 7-iron, PW, putter.

I'd like to say 4i and then wedge in close to the pin for a 1 or 2 putt. But with me it will probably end up being 4i (ob), 5i, 7i, wedge, putt, putt

So JB, what was the tour players' answer?

Here you go Wade.

6 tour professionals answered the question. 5 of the 6 did not go for the green. Let me preface this by saying that they were all speaking of tournament conditions with something on the line.

1 Web.com player - Going at the green but want to land it just in short about 15 yards short to eliminate the chance of big bounce and slope to the water.

2 PGA Tour players - Both lay up near the 100 yard mark. One of them wanted to be 100 yards on the nose and the other wanted to be 108 yards (weird).

2 LPGA Tour Players - Both lay up. One to the 100 yard marker and the other wanted to layup out to the left around 115. They said they preferred the angle coming in from the left just in case the approach went long.

1 NGA Tour player - Going to come up short, but take it right to that left bunker and hoping to come up just short of it, although in is not so bad.. Leave about 62 yards in and feeling confident I can make birdie depending on the pin placement.

The part that surprised me was the reason most did not go for it was not the water left. It was the water deep because of the green shape and more imporantly the OB right. One miss with the club and its a new tee shot and the chance of bringing in a pretty big number.

Thanks Keygan! Not sure how I missed it earlier.

I seem to remember a hole like this at the course the Solheim Cup was played. It seems to me on Sunday at least half the women went for the green, now I understand match play is a different animal and some might play a hole differently in match play vs stoke play.

I am curious if your approach would be different on this hole if the tee box was moved up 10 yards and it was a par 3?

Don't mind the bad artwork, but here you have a short par 4. 256 yards and no wind at all.

You can see water very short, that outside of a poor topped ball would not come into play.
You can also see a green that has a ton of water long and it curves around to the left side of the green as well. Long or left bring trouble into play.
There are a couple of bunkers that start at around the 185-190 mark as well.
Past the trees just to the right of the green are white stakes showing OB.

So tell us how you would play the hole.

5-L.jpg

I would sometimes play a cut 3 wood starting at the left edge and working back to the right, but if I clocked it, might roll over and into the water. Still would leave me an up and down for par, though.

If for whatever reason I didn't want to hit my 3w, I would hit an 8 iron to give myself right at 100 yards, a great wedge distance for me that I can consistently hit within 15 feet. That is a much safer play, really. But 254 is short, and I would probably go for it.

If I am hitting my 3W well, I'd go for the green. I have a natural fade so it would put me on the right side nicely. I agree with everyone else though in saying the smarter play is probably 7 iron short of the bunkers and a wedge in for a 2 putt max.

six iron, 54* wedge to middle of green. risk vs reward, kind of looks like a sucker bet going for green!!!

I'd hit my hybrid and aim at the right bunker, allowing for my natural draw. I carry my hybrid about 235yards so I'm sure I'd fly the bunkers even with a less than perfect strike. From there it's a chip and a putt for a birdie.

Back