First Time Traveler?

boogaloo_jones

Reaction score
Handicap
Well, I'm heading up to Cali in about 2 weeks and I'm looking to get a travel case for my clubs. My gamers wont be coming, just an old set of irons. The driver doesnt concern me too much since I'll probably unattach it and pack it in my carry-on or place it in the stand bag in one of the pockets. Since I rarely travel, I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for an inexpensive travel case. I've seen some Bag Boy T-700 types that go for less than 100 bucks which is around my price point. I'll make sure to buy one of those Club Glove Arm protectors, but just need some possible assistance if any one has had experience with one of the lower priced cases. I cant afford a Club Glove Burst Proof or Last Bag, and again, I dont see myself traveling much with my golf stuff anyway.

Any info is appreciated!

Dicks sporting goods has a cheap hard case for around 100 bucks. I had my first one for 5 years of heavy golf travel. Probably over 120 trips.

Does not have tsa locks, but does the trick for price and great protection. Never had a club break.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

My old (Very old) travel bag is toast! I was just looking at those Bag Boy T-700 bags. At the PGA SS I saw them for $79! I am seriously thinking of getting one.

Look on ebay. If they have any Hummer bags, go for those.

I definitely read this post as First Time-traveler. that would have been an interesting thread.

boogaloo,

In addition to what has been mentioned so far in this thread, I might suggest that you look through this one as well.
http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?41982-Travel-Covers-The-Definitive-Thread

For what it's worth I picked up a "original" Club Glove for right around $100 off of eBay. The "original" Club Glove takes my 14 way cart bag with ease and appears to be similar in size to their current midsize bag (just smaller than the LastBag). Hope this helps and enjoy your Cali trip.

boogaloo,

In addition to what has been mentioned so far in this thread, I might suggest that you look through this one as well.
http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?41982-Travel-Covers-The-Definitive-Thread

For what it's worth I picked up a "original" Club Glove for right around $100 off of eBay. The "original" Club Glove takes my 14 way cart bag with ease and appears to be similar in size to their current midsize bag (just smaller than the LastBag). Hope this helps and enjoy your Cali trip.

Duffer, thanks for posting that link. Much appreciated!

I've looked around craigslist and havent found any club glove or other soft travel bags for a good price. Most that were posted were SKB hard cover cases and I'm not trying to get a hard cover, mainly because my friend drives a coupe/sports car so its going to be hard to fit it in there. I've been looking at the Bag Boy T-700 and may go with that as well as a BagBoy Backbone or Stiff Arm (not really sure if there's a difference between the two).

I did a lot of travelling with the most simple travel bags and never had a problem.

If I were to pack a new set of clubs which are quite expensive I would go for a good, protective bag but travelling with "the back-ups" I would not worry too much.

I definitely read this post as First Time-traveler. that would have been an interesting thread.

Me too! It's why I clicked on it! Outside of my car, I've never travelled with my clubs, so wouldn't have had any input on that. Now being the first time traveller, that I would have input on!

Boo, IDK airline rules everywhere, but a guy I know that travels regularly out of Vancouver and he just empties his pockets, puts what he really needs in his luggage, then just flies with the regular cover over the clubs. He does it at least once a month and has never had a problem.

I'm in a similar situation, and read through the forums here on THP. I am considering some of the offerings on ebags.com, too, as they appear to have good features for the price, and the relative infrequency of travel with my clubs.

I travel a bit and always take my clubs with me.... I would suggest this SKB here. I bought mine on Ebay for $125 but that was about 5 years ago. Never had an issue and everything always fits in it. Worth every single penny.

http://www.amazon.com/SKB-2SKB-4812...d=1377873994&sr=8-8&keywords=golf+travel+case

I'm seeing some used ones on ebay for under $100. They come with keys, but you can't lock them in the airport anyway so if they don't have them, it's not a big deal.

Another alternative is to ship them, but will cost more long term:

$97 from Norcal to Dallas, for example:

http://fedexcup.van.fedex.com/ship.html

I thought about it, but when I checked from shipping to MD to Cali, it was about 55-65 each way. At that point, I might as well get a bag/stiff arm, and it would still cost less than shipping it out.

One item to note: The TSA made a change in carry on rules earlier this year. You can now carry on the plane up to two individual golf clubs. You'll still have to check most of your set, but if you have a costly driver or long putter that you are worried about damaging, know that you can take it with you through security and carry on the plane. Once on board ask the flight attendants to store your two clubs in the closet.

When I read this title I was all ready to respond "nuh-uh!" Guess it shows you where my head is currently....#needtogetoutofwork

timetravel_zps5ab7ff9d.jpg

Even though the movie wasn't very good, I thought the time machine in the 2002 version of the movie was awesome. :)

the-time-machine-movie-2002-online-495.jpg

I thought about it, but when I checked from shipping to MD to Cali, it was about 55-65 each way. At that point, I might as well get a bag/stiff arm, and it would still cost less than shipping it out.
I had forgotten about this trip. You can borrow my ClubGlove if you would like, if it's not too late. let me know.

Every time I see this thread pop up my mind wants to read it as....First Time-traveler like your planning on going back in time. lol

I had forgotten about this trip. You can borrow my ClubGlove if you would like, if it's not too late. let me know.

R, if its still ok, that would be great. I leave next Wednesday, so if possible, can you meet this weekend? I bought a bag, but I can still return it. Let me know. I'll email you tonight after I write my paper.

Thanks!

R, if its still ok, that would be great. I leave next Wednesday, so if possible, can you meet this weekend? I bought a bag, but I can still return it. Let me know. I'll email you tonight after I write my paper.

Thanks!

Sure it's available. Im not going anywhere soon.

I can meet you Saturday AM somewhere in Columbia area if that can work for you.

Sure it's available. Im not going anywhere soon.

I can meet you Saturday AM somewhere in Columbia area if that can work for you.

That would be perfect. I'll email you tonight and just let me know where and what time you want to meet! Thanks again, I owe you big time!

EDIT...R, sent you an email. I hope you still have the same email.

Last edited:
Back