THP Professional Types - How do you decide w/ new job offers?

Splendorlex

Reaction score
Handicap
40+
So I have a nice offer on the table to go to a new company to do what I do. (I run OnSite search for Ecommerce, pretty good area to be in and VERY specialized.)

Anyhow, I've been with the same company for nearly 7 years, and they have been good to me. The money is good, the flexibility and status are great, and I'm certainly not "looking" to leave. But I got an offer that would give me more opportunity for growth, more money, and pay for my relocation to Milwaukee. (I'm not far from there now, but an hour and a half commute is not sustainable long-term IMO.)

I guess my conundrum is how do I choose between a known situation that's been good for me and the unknown situation with lots of potential. It's tough, but I also appreciate that it's a good problem to have.

I make a pro/con list.

It's never easy, but sometimes you just have to close your eyes and jump.

This one sorta feels like that. I gave my notice this morning, but they asked if they could counter and I said I'd listen. I think it would take a lot, though, so we'll see how it shakes out.

That sounds like a tough choice. Money and possibility of upward movement (more money) is always a driving force for most. Pros/cons list is a must I think, and get picky with that list, too. Hardcore picky down to possibility of rent change, cost of living increases and decreases....the whole nine yards.

My example is....I've had some people mention me doing my job in a large market from where I am now, but when I look at the cost of living differences, it's a no brainer to stay where I am. I make a great living, considering where I live, and I work for a great family run business! It would be hard to leave this job and this group I work with. I look long term, and I see myself maybe having a larger roll in this company in 10 years or less, and that's another driving force.

Good luck with your decision...don't over think it.

I say go for it,

Might as well dive right in and take a chance.

Of course, you have to consider you'll be living in stinky Milwaukee too.

I make a pro/con list.

That's what I did a year ago & am happier at my current place than I was before. Still listening to other offers though, I'm for sale but I ain't cheap.

That's a big one. If moving up is important to you, then that's a big one. Also have to think about the area you'll be living in. Will it be good for your family vs where you are now, especially your kids? I think I remember seeing post about having kids.

It really comes down to what you value. As Hawk says, a pros/cons list is very helpful and will determine what you value and what you would like to achieve in your line of work. What someone else may value as a pro, you may view as a con.

Either way, wish you the best of luck in decision making, I went through a career change and one positive for me was my age, but I know how stressful it can be making career decisions.

It depends on several things. Age, do you have a family? The younger you are the easier it is to jump into something new without being forced to make the jump. If you have a wife and kids, it adds a whole new set of things to think about.

But how do you know the company you're with will be there in a few years. Companies close their doors all the time. I was with a company right out of college that had been in business for about 40 years at the time. I was with them for 21 and they closed up shop. If you see something with potential, and you think you can handle it, make the switch.

Agent Jay: the company I worked for was a family run business. Didn't stop them from closing. I thought I would retire with them, but the economy had other ideas.

It's actually a great area to raise kids, and my wife really likes the area too. It's not too far away from where I am now, but far enough that it will be a change.

This one sorta feels like that. I gave my notice this morning, but they asked if they could counter and I said I'd listen. I think it would take a lot, though, so we'll see how it shakes out.

As someone who recruits people for a living, here's my advice:

Don't EVER take a counter offer!!
A) Why didn't they pay/offer you what you were worth to begin with?
B) They know you are looking elsewhere and will now have ZERO loyalty to you, and feel you will have no loyalty to them
C) You accepted the other offer and gave notice for a reason... go with it!

Best of luck in Milwaukee, it's not such a bad city from what I have seen in the multiple times I've been there (my company HQ is there).

So I have a nice offer on the table to go to a new company to do what I do. (I run OnSite search for Ecommerce, pretty good area to be in and VERY specialized.)

Anyhow, I've been with the same company for nearly 7 years, and they have been good to me. The money is good, the flexibility and status are great, and I'm certainly not "looking" to leave. But I got an offer that would give me more opportunity for growth, more money, and pay for my relocation to Milwaukee. (I'm not far from there now, but an hour and a half commute is not sustainable long-term IMO.)

I guess my conundrum is how do I choose between a known situation that's been good for me and the unknown situation with lots of potential. It's tough, but I also appreciate that it's a good problem to have.

Use the offer from the new company as leverage for an even better offer from your current employer.

Of course, you have to consider you'll be living in stinky Milwaukee too.

He would be upgrading by crossing the $h!thead/cheeshead border though...Much lower sales tax as well.

As someone who recruits people for a living, here's my advice:

Don't EVER take a counter offer!!
A) Why didn't they pay/offer you what you were worth to begin with?
B) They know you are looking elsewhere and will now have ZERO loyalty to you, and feel you will have no loyalty to them
C) You accepted the other offer and gave notice for a reason... go with it!

Best of luck in Milwaukee, it's not such a bad city from what I have seen in the multiple times I've been there (my company HQ is there).

Makes me wonder what company you work for. Do they have an Ecommerce website? :)

Use the offer from the new company as leverage for an even better offer from your current employer.

My current company is working on a counter that I should have by Monday. I think my real preference is to make the leap, though.

Makes me wonder what company you work for. Do they have an Ecommerce website? :)

I'm with Northwestern Mutual, no ecommerce that I know of...

Taking that "leap" is always a tough decision. But if you have the opportunity for more $$ and "potential" growth to a higher position, take the step. Great opportunities don't always come around. Good Luck!!

If the company with the offer is stable, and there's more potential for growth down the road, I'd say go for it. There are things to weigh such as family situations, kids and schools, commute you'd have even after moving to name a few that can all affect the choice. Never an easy decision.

Good luck with the situation!

I would say that once you give your notice you are better off to leave. The top people at your current job have already begun to think about how to replace you whether you decide to go or stay .
Just something to think about.

Try to imagine what your current job will be, or lead to in the next 5-10 years. Also imagine how competitive your skills will be if you stay put. Consider then how expensive you might be for the current company compared to someone new they could hire at the time with applicable if imperfect fitting skills.

Comfortable is good. Really good, but good situations can go bad. So try to compare 5-year out views if you can.

I will say this. In this economy, which is not going to improve significantly over the next 20 years, stagnation can be your greatest threat.

Tough decision. If you leave, try to do so on good terms.

Good luck.

I should add just a little more context here. Something similar happened about a year ago. I have a specialized skill set, in that there aren't many people who have the specific experience and background I have. So it's common for companies to come knocking on my door to see if they can wrestle me free.

A little over a year ago Williams Sonoma out in San Francisco made me a substantial offer with relocation. I ultimately turned it down because my current company came back with a competitive counter, and the cost of living in San Fran AND the 2,000 mile move scared me off. There are days that I still think I made the wrong choice.

Though my company did right by me, they didn't address any of the underlying issues, and that's why I find myself in a similar situation a year later. Again, they are asking to counter, and again I'm giving the opportunity to do so, but my inclination is that they can't touch it this time. The counter would have to substantially beat my new offer, as they seem to offer more opportunity for upward movement, and are close enough that a move is very feasible.

There are a couple things that comes to mind when reading over this opportunity. I was faced with similar decisions several years ago. I didn't make the move either. But with hindsight being what it is, I really wish I would of gone Ina different direction. But we've made the most of it. Anyway:

hawkk is correct with the pros vs cons list. Also, a couple things also. Don't be afraid of change, many times we find that it's easier to stay where we are because change brings on so many unknown questions. Secondly, more money or better benefits, or what ever they counter with wear out quickly. At the end of the day the underlying issues are still going to be there. Best of luck going forward buddy. Go with your heart it won't stear you wrong

I should add just a little more context here.....

I hate to influence really since I don't know you, your company or the situation.

But one thing..,, I have been in hiring positions for most of my career. VP level. At this point with you leaving for the 2nd time in about a year, even if you accepted my counted offer, I would be looking to protect myself from the next time. i would be looking for someone to be a backup so I wouldn't be vulnerable with this role any longer.

So, consider the actions of your current company in response to two resignations in a short time.

Congrats though for having such a unique and in-demand skill.

In my experience, the second you think moving on to another situation is the right choice, then it is the right choice.

I had options, and turned them down. And it was a huge mistake. 6.5 years later, I am still stuck in a job I hate, for an employer I hate, and I am only here because I can't afford to work elsewhere that pays less money.

There will always be a chance your current employer would welcome you back if things didn't work out. But the previous posts are correct. If the company is now countering to keep you, why weren't they paying you that amount, or providing the extra perks, from the beginning.

Make the move, don't look back, and make the best of your new situation.

Back