Trying to Break 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
One step closer... Shot 101 today. 51/50. No real bad blow up holes, just a few mishits. Nothing crazy, just didn't strike the ball well and didn't get to the green like I should have. I was walking 18 for the first time, and at age 56, I was getting a little tired by the 14th. It was in the mid 90's today. I got low on water too. Not enough refill stations out there for me! But I had a great time playing with a real nice guy and his 7th grade son. LOL He was "helping" me with my driver... Too funny, but a bright kid, and he could play! He's been taking lessons, so he was sharing with me... It was fun, and his dad was a good dude. The dad shot his best game ever, an 80. He was blown away... good for him. Kept me trying to keep up! He said he has never played like that in his life. LOL

I love meeting great people out on the course. There are always some yahoo's out there that can't contain themselves, but for the most part, I get hooked up with good people. :golf:

jb

Sounds like a great day. So close too! I'm rooting for ya!

Nothing better than meeting good people and playing a fun game!

JB sounds like a great consistent round, no blow up holes is a good thing.

It's so much easier to play well when your having fun with the group your playing with.

Thanks for the encouragement! It will come soon...

I'm back on the under 100 train, went 4/5 rounds under 100 this weekend after a string of 10 rounds at 100+. Yesterday afternoon I was sitting at 35 after 8 then proceeded to put 2 in the water on the par 5 9th and finished the front with a 44 then double bogeyed almost the whole back 9 for a 53.

Though I've broken 100 before, it was like 7 years ago or so. I'm back to the game after a long "having kids" hiatus and this is the appropriate thread for me right now. I played yesterday and shot a 49/51 for an EVEN 100. Lately I've been closer to 110 most of the time, so this was great. Just one shot away. The issues that hold me back most:

• Poor play off the tee - I barely use my driver, as I'm smart enough to know I hit my 3H a lot straighter, even if I don't hit it as far. But I still need help here.
  • Lost ball penalties - so too many errant shots that go OB or in the water or whatever, just gone.
  • Chunks, tops and skulls in the middle of the fairway and/or near the green - I can hit a beauty of a tee shot, but if it's closer than 150 yards out, there's a good chance I will hit it poorly in one way or another.

I do have a pretty good touch near the green, but that's still interspersed with the occasional skull or terrible mis-hit.

Anyhow, I'm playing another round on Saturday and hope to be in the 90s!

FrancisD - On a roll! Keep it up!

Splendorex - I hear ya on #3. Intermittent poor contact is what is keeping me over 100 at the moment! Nice to see you know your issues. Now you have to make a good plan to overcome them! Good luck on Saturday!

FrancisD - On a roll! Keep it up!

Splendorex - I hear ya on #3. Intermittent poor contact is what is keeping me over 100 at the moment! Nice to see you know your issues. Now you have to make a good plan to overcome them! Good luck on Saturday!

Yeah, it's why I made a post recently about "why do I hit better out of the rough than in the fairway?" I think the answer I found was that the rough just helps me get under the ball correctly, while I'm not taking a divot like I'm supposed to in the fairway.

Yeah, it's why I made a post recently about "why do I hit better out of the rough than in the fairway?" I think the answer I found was that the rough just helps me get under the ball correctly, while I'm not taking a divot like I'm supposed to in the fairway.

ROFL, I have thought that but never dared say it out loud!

#3 is my thorn in the butt too... I can hit some real nice, in the fairway shots, then whiff the crap out of it! I can add two unnecessary strokes in a jiffy doing that. It just torques the snot out of me! LOL

My boy laughs like crazy, then whacks one to the green. Phhsss... smart a$#...

It's getting better though, I don't muff the short stuff like I used to, and my putting has come a long way. I need to get more consistent off the tee and with my hybrids. The hybrids (the easy clubs to hit) are where I'm slicing off now, from decent fairway lies.

How about this... does this kill you? I have a lie under some trees, not to bad... just need to get it up and over or through some sparse leafy looking tiny branches. It looks like I can just smash it right through the fluffy looking stuff. I hit a great looking shot, it rises high and straight, right into the ONLY, and I mean ONLY friggin' branch with any thickness to it at all. Clunk! Twang! You're kiddin' me here! I couldn't hit that stick lookin' thing if I had to, in two hundred tries! LOL

Then I fly one in a rage to a bunker with my slicing hybrid. Schnitzle! I love this game!

Played today in some pretty windy conditions and shot 52/45 for a 97, 2 penalty strokes and 32 putts. Had 4 pars, 6 bogeys, 5 doubles and 3 trips I left a ton of strokes out there today by putting myself in difficult situations.

Played today in some pretty windy conditions and shot 52/45 for a 97, 2 penalty strokes and 32 putts. Had 4 pars, 6 bogeys, 5 doubles and 3 trips I left a ton of strokes out there today by putting myself in difficult situations.

Nice work golfinFF! 32 putts!!! Sounds like a great day!

I'll jump in here. I would love to see a sub 100 round. wow. hoping my lessons with the Tour Home Academy DVD can make it happen. I'm in that thread too. but the good news is that when I started 18 months ago I was consistently shooting 144. now I shoot 115. that's 30 strokes in 18 months. at that rate by next year I'll be shooting 80 and the year after that 50!
Let me know when you hit 50 :clapp:

Nice work golfinFF! 32 putts!!! Sounds like a great day!

Thanks Geoff, putting was pretty good could of easily been <30 today tee game is what got me in trouble and kept the round from being better.

I went out today for my first 18 holes in a couple of months. My back was tight all day, but no pain. I was happy for that victory!

My play was terrible. Very few good shots. I was playing with my brother. I rarely play a round without him so he has seen me all summer. I played terrible 62/63 = 125 His comment over and over all day was, "That isn't your swing." I know it. The swing feels weird. I don't know if it is bad habits developed by spending time at the range even when my back hurt or if it is simply a result of the recent time-off I took for a week or two. Either way I need to do something.

They did aerate the greens on Monday. So I had 46 puts! I have never had more than 36 at this course before. Still that only explains 10 shots!

In an effort to try and find an answer, I started to shorten my swing and went mostly into an arm swing. I found that I was hitting the ball dead straight with just arms. So it is something in the turn that is causing my trouble. I am pulling the ball hard left. I'll have to work it out.

My other biggest issue is when I do not rotate around my left leg on the downswing but instead I drop my focus for a minute and I shift my hip forward at the start of the downswing. That causes me to strike 4 to 6 inches behind the ball every time! That I think, is just muscle memory. I do not have the motion down as automatic yet. Fixing that would go along way to improving my overall scores.

I did get to spend the afternoon with my baby brother on a gorgeous course. That fact that I have something to work on to make my game better is nothing new. So all in all a good day.

I'll be traveling to next Thursday and I am leaving the clubs at home. I hope to visit the range next Friday. We will see how things go then!

I went out today for my first 18 holes in a couple of months. My back was tight all day, but no pain. I was happy for that victory!

My play was terrible. Very few good shots. I was playing with my brother. I rarely play a round without him so he has seen me all summer. I played terrible 62/63 = 125 His comment over and over all day was, "That isn't your swing." I know it. The swing feels weird. I don't know if it is bad habits developed by spending time at the range even when my back hurt or if it is simply a result of the recent time-off I took for a week or two. Either way I need to do something.

They did aerate the greens on Monday. So I had 46 puts! I have never had more than 36 at this course before. Still that only explains 10 shots!

In an effort to try and find an answer, I started to shorten my swing and went mostly into an arm swing. I found that I was hitting the ball dead straight with just arms. So it is something in the turn that is causing my trouble. I am pulling the ball hard left. I'll have to work it out.

My other biggest issue is when I do not rotate around my left leg on the downswing but instead I drop my focus for a minute and I shift my hip forward at the start of the downswing. That causes me to strike 4 to 6 inches behind the ball every time! That I think, is just muscle memory. I do not have the motion down as automatic yet. Fixing that would go along way to improving my overall scores.

I did get to spend the afternoon with my baby brother on a gorgeous course. That fact that I have something to work on to make my game better is nothing new. So all in all a good day.

I'll be traveling to next Thursday and I am leaving the clubs at home. I hope to visit the range next Friday. We will see how things go then!

You had fun out there today so that's what matters. With that much time off and very little practice set backs are expected.

Swinging and playing injured causes us to compensate to get square and then when we are well again it throws things off. a range session or two should have you squared away again.

Nice work, man! I guess it's probably always true that we leave a ton of strokes out there lol! I always feel that way after playing. Slowly starting to do something about it though. Keep up the good work bro!

Got a round in this morning at a local course I hadn't played yet (Widow's Walk in Scituate, MA). Fun round; course is a bit quirky and despite only being 6,400 yards, wasn't the best layout for a walker like myself. Aside from a quad on a par three and a ton of penalties, I played alright. Shot 54/50=104. 5/13 FIR, 1/18 GIR, 34 putts and nine (!) penalties. The course is very tight, and I didn't think the course/slope rating did it justice. Onward and upward. I chipped very well today outside of the quad on the par 3.

Nice work, man! I guess it's probably always true that we leave a ton of strokes out there lol! I always feel that way after playing. Slowly starting to do something about it though. Keep up the good work bro!

Yeah always a couple :) a few bad puts and not so great chips.

Got a round in this morning at a local course I hadn't played yet (Widow's Walk in Scituate, MA). Fun round; course is a bit quirky and despite only being 6,400 yards, wasn't the best layout for a walker like myself. Aside from a quad on a par three and a ton of penalties, I played alright. Shot 54/50=104. 5/13 FIR, 1/18 GIR, 34 putts and nine (!) penalties. The course is very tight, and I didn't think the course/slope rating did it justice. Onward and upward. I chipped very well today outside of the quad on the par 3.

Not a terrible score on a new course and 9 penalties. Good work and keep at it.

Got out this am played 9 and shot a 44.

Said this a few times - a great way to break 100 is to play the holes differently.

We know most courses are par 72 layouts. But for higher handicap players this is too hard of a goal. So try setting the par as 90 in your mind.

This makes every hole a par 5 regardless of its actual rating.

Make a 4 on an actual par 3 and that's a birdie, make a 5 on an actual par 4 and that's a par.

Helped me come down from a 23 to a 14.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Hot Dang Boys! I did it! I nearly broke two milestones in the process. I broke 100 for the very first time, and nearly broke 90... I shot a 91. One happy camper here! :banana:

Here's my scorecard.

COURSEHCP
Airways,
California
22/09/2013
Before round: 36.4
After round: 22.7

HOLES123456789OUT101112131415161718INTOTAL
STROKE INDEX111319157175341018162612148
EXTRA STROKES222222222182212222221735
PAR444434353344344435443569
SCORES556536375455367726644691
ROUND SCORE+1+2+4+5+5+7+7+9+11+11+1+1+3+6+9+8+9+11+11+11+22
NET SCORE334314153273155504422956 (-13)
PUTTS222213123182223302211735
GIR
score-card-icon-04.png
score-card-icon-04.png
score-card-icon-04.png
score-card-icon-04.png
score-card-icon-04.png
score-card-icon-04.png
score-card-icon-04.png
score-card-icon-04.png
score-card-icon-04.png
score-card-icon-04.png
score-card-icon-03.png
score-card-icon-04.png
score-card-icon-04.png
score-card-icon-04.png
score-card-icon-04.png
score-card-icon-04.png
score-card-icon-04.png
score-card-icon-04.png
11/18
FIR000/0

Last edited:
Nice round jb!

I snuck out after the Pats game for a quick nine. Focused on swinging smoothly with my woods; I desperately wanted to get the driver back in play after some issues the past few weeks. Drove the ball well, and what do you know it made everything else a lot easier. Shot a 45 on the front nine. 4/9 FIR, misses were very manageable though. 3/9 GIR, 17 putts and only one penalty due to a bladed wedge over the first green into some junk. All in all, a productive nine holes.

Hot Dang Boys! I did it! I nearly broke two milestones in the process. I broke 100 for the very first time, and nearly broke 90... I shot a 91. One happy camper here! :banana:

Here's my scorecard.

COURSEHCP
Airways,
California
22/09/2013
Before round: 36.4
After round: 22.7

HOLES123456789OUT101112131415161718INTOTAL
STROKE INDEX111319157175341018162612148
EXTRA STROKES222222222182212222221735
PAR444434353344344435443569
SCORES556536375455367726644691