To Cart or not to Cart...

malemotives

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 17.4
Although my home course allows me a free golf cart, I prefer to walk as much as I can; as do most of the guys I golf with.

Many of them would like to ride, and say they used to when it was affordable and cost could be split between two guys. But, these days, most course charge per rider, usually around $15/$20. Sometimes the cart price is higher than the green fee.

What's your opinion on cart pricing...?

The course that I am a member at charges $9 and $18 for a cart for 9 holes and 18 holes, respectively. I will usually walk as the course is an easy walk and it is good exercise. The cart fee adds up, so this is an easy way for me to limit my golf spending. I will ride if I am trying to finish 18 in an extremely short amount of time, but that is pretty rare for me.

I prefer to walk, and hate paying the cart fees if the people I'm playing with want to ride. So many people ride nowadays, they know they can charge more for the carts. I personally think it's a rip off.

Most of the time I ride, it's because of a deal on golfnow. Paying half price greens fees with cart included, it's hard not to ride

Walking all the way. This game was not ment to be played with a cart.

Walking all the way. This game was not ment to be played with a cart.

Maybe back in the 1800s it wasn't but then again the earth wasn't made with roads or cars

Maybe back in the 1800s it wasn't but then again the earth wasn't made with roads or cars

I love to walk but I agree with you here. Golf has come a long way, its not that long ago that people were wearing ties and jackets while playing. The game is more accessible to people and a lot of people don't want to walk or can't because of something like age, arthritis or whatever.

In my experience, carts are over priced and not worth the money. In the U.S where golf is seen as a money maker and it's all about getting as many people on and around the course as possible I can understand it but I'd not play a course where I was forced to use one. I grew up walking and will continue to do so until my legs finally give up on me.

I usually walk with a push cart. I notice that a lot of courses around me are going to charging per rider. It's anywhere between $11-25. I think it's a total ripoff. I only use a cart now when the course doesn't allow walkers.

I prefer walking, but there are some courses that just aren't made for walking. Either the course has massive elevation changes or long distances between green and the next tee. Also, there are just times when someone else wants to ride, where to be social, you should ride, too.

Fortunately, many older, established courses were designed for walking.

Playing at my home course, I walk. Would not have it any other way. While the cart on the Groupgolf deal to the nice course is usually included, it never seems like I play as well from a cart. Some of the courses nearby are in the sierras or their foothills which need carts due to the extreme terrain.

.... it never seems like I play as well from a cart.

That's a great point and observation. Once a week... my golf day with my wife, I do use a cart and I often feel my game suffers. Maybe because of the quicker pace?

And it is true.... some courses were not made for walking. Although, there are those... like Chambers Bay, here in Washington, where carts are forbidden, on the 7 mile walk from Tee box 1 to 18 green, except under extreme circumstances, requiring special permission, and even then the use of a cart, $45... requires hiring a caddy from the pool, to drive you.... $50.

I walk as much as possible and usually only use a cart when its a deal through golfnow or playing with others who don't walk.

I will only ride in a cart when my playing partners wouldn't have it any other way. I agree that it's a game meant to be played while walking. Carts are great for keeping the game accessible, of course.

I like to walk when I play golf. It saves a lot of money over the course of a year. As much as I play taking a cart every time would make a serious dent in the amount of rounds I play.

The course I work at is $12 per rider for 18 holes. I just prefer to walk as I play pretty quickly as it is, and really need the exercise.

I play better walking. I do use a push-cart though.

I play better walking. I do use a push-cart though.

Same here, but I do see golf carts as a method of keeping my membership fees low. The more revenue they can make off of the carts, the less my cost is.

I walk as much as I can unless the green fees include a cart.

Everyone seems to ride out here! Personally, I'm a walker.

I walk as much as I can unless the green fees include a cart.

Same here, or unless the course is a monster long, long and hilly course. I don't want to walk Colbert Hills in Manhattan every again...from the tips. That. Was. Exhausting! It's 7525 yards from the tips and it is a TREK from greens to the next tee on EVERY HOLE...and I'm not even counting the elevation changes.
I was told they won't have any Tour events on the course due to the length between holes, not the course or how hard it is from the tips.

Last edited:
Arthritic knees and modern course design (long distance from greens to tees) have caused me to ride all the time. Up to 10-15 years ago I walked and carried my bag, but not any more.

Although carts have their drawbacks, they have kept many of us "old guys" playing the game.

Do what makes you happy.

Walked today without my ClicGear. First time walking 18 since January. Rained the first three holes and then was high 80's and super muggy for the last 15. The 6880 yard layout and huge elevation changes didn't help any either. Dead tired now.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

Many of the courses I play are unwalkable and the cart is included in the price so it is hard to say what the cart fee is.

In fairness to my home course.... they charge $5 for nine and $10 for 18. Member with disabilities and members over 80, and member who volunteer 360 hours of time receive free cart use. Push cart are always free.

Back