Pre-shot thoughts

I really try to think as little as possible. If anything, just try to think swing smooth. The downside of that is I've caught myself too many times not lining myself up first. I have to remember to do that first, then not think too much.

I try to visualize my shot and the line I want to take. Relax and swing on exhale.

I'm Just Tap Tap Tapping...

I honestly don't think about anything. But maybe I should be...

After I get my line/target my last thought is a line from Bagger Vance, "Just bash the living s:$&@ out of it".

I like to imagine how my desired shot shape will look and where it'll go, then I pick an aim point and try to keep that front and center. Usually a swing thought or two bouncing around in the brain as well.

Can you provide a yardage.It would help to know since it will help with deciding what club to hit and shape. But, for most part,I'm just visualizing how i want to see the ball fly. Then go through my routine feeling my swing and seeing the flight i want. as to your swing thought idea, I feel once on the course we should never think of swing thoughts,only visualizing of the ball.

As far as yardage goes it could be anything. I'm mostly interested in what people are thinking after they have made their club selection/shot shape/etc.

I don't necessarily struggle with what my thoughts are pre-shot, but lately I have found myself thinking about different things as the round progresses. I start out basically thinking about my desired shot-shape, and then by the time I get to the 18th I'm thinking about tempo or something else. Does anybody have their pre-shot thoughts change as their round progresses?

Does anybody have their pre-shot thoughts change as their round progresses?

Definitely. I generally start out thinking simple stuff, alignment, ball position and the like but by 14 or so, I start thinking that if I can somehow eagle the last 4 holes I'll have a heck of a round. Not being funny, I honestly think that.

Doesn't really matter what the hole is (for me). Once I have figured out what why I have decided to play the hole, then I'm sticking with my pre-shot routine and the shot I'm wanting to play at that point. I try to clear my mind of other thoughts at that point. Unless I'm trying to make a very specific swing at the ball....like a large cut or low draw for example...then I'm trying to just hit my shot solid. Line up my club head to my target, align myself to the target line, make a few smooth practice swings and go. Less is more.

I get everything sorted out before I step up to the ball. Full swings I pick the line I want and adjust accordingly. For chips I try to visualize the the trajectory and where I want the ball to land. I don't/can't shape my shots very well, but if I'm trying to I give myself a quick reminder of the mechanics when I'm setting up. Last thought on every shot... keep your head down. Sometimes I tell myself to swing for the fences just for fun, but that's usually after a few adult beverages.

I don't really have swing thoughts because that would ruin me. Before I stand over a ball I envision my ball flight and where I want it to land. After that I stand over it and hit it before I have time to think.

Mine is usually don't f*** up,lol jk. My instructor has really been working with me to find a good preshot routine. I usually figure out my distance, take two practice swings, find a point to align my clubface with and get in my stance clear my head and go. My instructor also pointed out to me when I don't go through my routine I miss the putt. I think it's all just about finding consistency.

Toe up, thumbs up, through the ball(don't try to help it turn), finish high.

Back