My lessons have begun.

diddums

Reaction score
Handicap
I had my first lesson today with George Serhan.
Basically I need to build a new swing from scratch, I was way too stiff and wasn't rotating enough through the swing. Also my Hans were going too far from my body on the backswing.

But it was a great first lesson. He have me some drills to work on to improve my rotation and body position.
Will see how I go in a fortnight at my next lesson.

Keep up posted doe sure! I'll be embarking on a series of lessons starting in a few weeks with the goal of having a new and improved me grooved and ready for spring '14.

Congrats on taking the first step in improving your game.

Kepp us posted on how your lessons are going and how your improving.

Good luck. That's a great step to get yourself sorted.

Thanks guys.
I knew I was doing a few things wrong but I had no idea it was so many things.
But now I'm on the road to improvement.

It's always refreshing to know what you have to work on. Good luck!

Thanks guys.
I knew I was doing a few things wrong but I had no idea it was so many things.
But now I'm on the road to improvement.

I feel your pain as I went through the same process this summer and am still working through the changes.

Remember its a process and that you and your game will struggle going through the changes, trust that when everything is put together your swing will be better, your ball striking will be better, your consistency with distance, shot shape and accuracy will improve. There is a chance that you will see a gain in distance in the end, but you might loose some distance during the changes.

I had my first lesson today with George Serhan.
Basically I need to build a new swing from scratch, I was way too stiff and wasn't rotating enough through the swing. Also my Hans were going too far from my body on the backswing.

But it was a great first lesson. He have me some drills to work on to improve my rotation and body position.
Will see how I go in a fortnight at my next lesson.

You'll be glad he broke it down and started from scratch. It's better to do this now, than put a band aide on it and not see serious, quality improvements. Stick with your drills until they feel normal to you, then you'll know it's working. Good luck! Keep it up!

So I had my second lesson on Saturday just gone.
Straight off the bat I had reverted back to a off plane swing since my last lesson so he told me some reference points so that I can keep track of it. Also fixed up my posture a bit, it wasn't too bad but I was too upright and could achieve proper rotation.
He also stopped me from rotating my wrist on the back swing which was taking the club way off square.
By the end of the lesson he was pretty happy with how my backswing was going but I'm having trouble rotating through the ball. And because of this most of my shot are getting pushed to the right. I've had a couple of nice straight ones but not consistently though. Now it's just practice practice practice.

Went to the range tonight and I was pretty happy with the results so far.
I'm getting far better and more consistent contact on the ball off the turf but I'm still hitting a few fat shots. Most of my shots were straight or slight pushes and I had a couple of major slices and hooks.
But I had a fair few good drives too which I was happy with.

I'm playing 18 tomorrow so I'll see how much I can carry onto the course.

Glad to see you making progress remember to keep practicing the right things. One thing that has helped me is doing the swing in slow-mo repeatedly, also making a full swing but trying to hit the ball half the distance of normal.

Keep working and your contact and ball flight will improve.

I'm starting soon also! Maybe as early as end of this week!
I'll follow along here as well!

Just call me...Barb
First official '15 Morgan cup hopeful.
(Gonna work on the game!)

Played today. First 9 were pretty bad, hit a good drive off the 1st tee but then it was just a series of fat shots and miss hits till I finally go it in the hole.
I had some pretty good drives that I was happy with and one that I was stoked with but it was just too long for the hole I was on.
My short game was miss and hit. Have a lot of work to do on my chip and approach shots.
My putting has improved a bit, but long story short I was pretty happy when I wakes off the course.

My score on the back 9 was 52 with 22 puts on a par 34. So was pretty good for me.

I'm starting soon also! Maybe as early as end of this week!
I'll follow along here as well!

Just call me...Barb
First official '15 Morgan cup hopeful.
(Gonna work on the game!)

That's good. Lessons are great, I've made huge improvement in the last 3 weeks from just 2 lessons. You've just gotta be willing to change things.

Had my 3rd lesson today. Went pretty well, I've been hitting the range pretty hard I've the past 2 weeks and have made improvement. But I was also working on things that aren't good for me. I was doing some reading and research and some of the stuff I was concentrating on my coach said doesn't suit me cause of my build and flexibility.
But he has got me back in the right path and cut me down to 3/4 swings till I get the proper motion.
After my lesson I went and played 9 holes. Started off a bit rough. Was pushing most of my shots. Was practicing my chipping when I was off the green, which has improved a bit too.

But then on the 8th, which is a par 3, I teed off. Nice straight hit, landed 6ft right of the pin and rolled a couple of feet. The putted for birdie, it was my first one too. Then I putted for birdie on the 9th, another par 3, but fell about a foot short but was a pretty good line.

So after 3 lessons there has been plenty of improvement.

I always considered lessons but believed I could "figure it out on my own." I'm naturally athletic (good hands, speed, 30" vertical, blah, blah, blah) and excelled in most sports all of my life just by watching pros for tips and guidance on technique (I'm a visual learner). Then there's golf. My handicap plateaued at a best of 14 about 2 years ago and recently is around 18 with limited practice/playing time. Finally accepted that my swing is definitely an issue. Fast forward to today...
Had my first lesson today with Ben Witter (long distance champ/ trick shot artist). Fortunate enough to have him living in my hometown area. This was my first golf lesson ever after seven years of playing. I was amazed at how laid off I was on the backswing resulting in an over the top move on the way down. Ben noted my swing is directly opposite of Furyk's. That's right! With the reverse loop, too. Made me chuckle after watching it on replay. Although I usually make good contact with the ball, my backspin rate is very high which obviously prevents potential distance. Ben had me focus on posture, grip, & take away, while trying to rotate more and keeping the club going lower to the ground. We used a few simple drills to help accomplish this and swing more inside-out, all of which I can reproduce at home. Before and after results with my 7 iron were as much as 20 yards. What I was most excited about was that the "fixed" swings were so effortless - and I gained distance. I was hitting around 60-70% effort compared to my usual swing. It was a lot to digest at first but making the swing adjustments didn't feel that awkward once I got into a groove.

Bottom line is this: if you're considering lessons, do it. You may have an idea of what to fix on your own but it's well-worth the time/$$$ to see it on video with support from a PGA instructor. I am totally psyched to practice and see the results, and honestly feel even more excited about golf again.

Thanks for listening/reading. Sorry so long!
Shout out to Ben, too. Awesome guy!

Back