What Ball Did You Play Last - What Are Your Thoughts?

I've been in putting class for two days now... 4 hours total.... putting a Callaway Hex Chrome + which is my go to ball on the course. I find it to be reliable and true.

Ive been gaming the Hex Chrome, Nike 20XI-X, Pro V1 & Z-star over the last year. I have 100 mph driver ss & currently play off a 14.

1- Hex Chrome - Off distance the tee 5, Greenside Spin 4, Durability 3, Price 5
2- Pro V1 - Off distance the tee 4, Greenside Spin 5, Durability 5, Price 2
3- Nike - Off distance the tee 5, Greenside Spin 3.5, Durability 4, Price 3
4- Zstar - Off distance the tee 4, Greenside Spin 5, Durability 4, Price 2

I have been gaming a mix of Srixon balls, Q & Z Stars and the TriSpeed Tour. I honestly can say I like the feel of the ball around the greens and overall ball flight off the tee. Not seeing much spin on the green, but that is most likely due to me.

Overall great ball manufacturer.

Played Gamers against Pro-V1s, and like the Top Flites better. More distance, less spin off the tee, and I like how they feel with irons. I think the only place the Titleist clearly wins for me is feel off the putter.

Also hit the Bridgestone e6 when I realized I had lost my only Gamer, and I still like the e6, though I wasn't as excited as I was by how well the Gamer performed for me today. I need to find a way to get Top Flites on the cheap. A dozen of them + shipping is like buying a dozen Bridgestones.

^ I find the gamer to be longer than anything else I try, but I can't get it to hold a green.

I played a round with the Lethal today. Seemed like a good all around ball. I'll be looking forward to some closeout deals on those.

^ I find the gamer to be longer than anything else I try, but I can't get it to hold a green.

I played a round with the Lethal today. Seemed like a good all around ball. I'll be looking forward to some closeout deals on those.

I can't get a Gamer to check on a pitch or a chip, but I've got a very high trajectory on my irons, so it holds greens pretty well for me. Which was great when I was able to hit into greens today, but punishing any time I missed. Greens were very fast at the course I played.

I've played the Wilson FG tour for my last 3-4 rounds. I found the last 5 dozen on clearance for 9.99 a box at academy so I bought them all. They are adequate in distance compared to my Z stars and excellent in spin. The covers are not super durable though and a tree or cart path will pretty much end one. Luckily I haven't caught too many of them lately.

I went back to my go-to ball, the B-330RX, but this time in optic yellow. I love the fact that they decided to make my favorite ball in optic yellow.

Going to give the Chrome+ a shot today, I'm excited after hearing all of the reviews on this thread!

Nike 20xi is a great ball, I find them to be long off the tee and very durable

Played 20xi from last yr and think it may spin a bit much for my liking saw some loss of distance off 3wd and irons. I also spun some back a cray cray amount with mid/long irons.

Played with the Callaway Hex Black for the first time yesterday in windy conditions. The feel of this ball is incredible my forged irons felt extra buttery. Ball delivers great stopping power on the greens, had more backspin than I normally get. The ball had almost too much spin around the greens, will have to get used to that. Like others have said the durability isn't the best, still better than the Nike 20x1s. Probably my favourite ball since the original Taylormade TPs, I am curious about the new Chromes though. Will keep this ball in play for next few rounds.

Played all 18 with the same Callaway Hex Chrome +. Solid as usual. I absolutely love this ball

First let me say that I've been a Titleist ProV1X fanboy for almost ten years and have no complaints except for maybe the price.

Last month I picked up a dozen TaylorMade Lethals and have loved them. I don't know if it is as long as the ProV1X but just about. I don't see any issues from the fairway or in and around the greens. When I've tried other balls in the past they were fine off the tee box (maybe straighter with less distance but that is a fair tradeoff), but I never could find a ball that performed well in and around the greens. And for durability, I'm still on the first sleeve of 1's. I still have a couple of sleeves of Titleist in my bag and I'm going to play them the next few times out to get a current comparison. At worst I have another ball I'm comfortable with in my bag.

The only negative would be the price, their is really no cost savings to switch. Also I heard a rumor that that TM is changing this ball next year, I don't know how that change will effect the ball.

First let me say that I've been a Titleist ProV1X fanboy for almost ten years and have no complaints except for maybe the price.

Last month I picked up a dozen TaylorMade Lethals and have loved them. I don't know if it is as long as the ProV1X but just about. I don't see any issues from the fairway or in and around the greens. When I've tried other balls in the past they were fine off the tee box (maybe straighter with less distance but that is a fair tradeoff), but I never could find a ball that performed well in and around the greens. And for durability, I'm still on the first sleeve of 1's. I still have a couple of sleeves of Titleist in my bag and I'm going to play them the next few times out to get a current comparison. At worst I have another ball I'm comfortable with in my bag.

The only negative would be the price, their is really no cost savings to switch. Also I heard a rumor that that TM is changing this ball next year, I don't know how that change will effect the ball.

TM always changes their premium ball. Well at least they always change the name. They probably will come out with a new ball but it won't be much different from the lethal

I'm still playing the TM TP5's and love them. I really didn't notice that much difference between the TP5 and the Lethal to be honest.

Here in Canada it is thanksgiving weekend and golftown has a big sale on. You can get TM Lethals for $29.99 a dozen right now

I'm on my last sleeve of Chrome+, in fact down to one new one left. I haven't peeled back a cover in a while now but I am still bummed about how easily these scuff. I think its those hex dimples like others have said, they just scuff too easily. I put a new ball in play today, hit a 4H layup and then a 60 yard full LW onto the green. When I went to mark my ball it looked like I ran it across a cheese grater.

Otherwise I love this ball. Off the tee its long a straight for me. Iron shots are mostly consistent and short iron/wedge spin is really good for me as well. Around the green I dont get alot of spin but I dont game a one hop and stop chipping game. I like to play a roll out so it works for me. The ball feels great off me red x mallet as well, not clicky or squishy.

So...I have talked to a few guys and the durability seems to be hit or miss. The scuffs dont really change the performance of the ball and worse case scenario has been putting a new ball into play on the back nine (unless a few cart paths get in the way). I think I am going to pick up another dozen and see if durability has improved...heck as long as it hasnt gotten worse I think I'll sacrifice for the performance these balls give me. I am interested to see how these perform in the colder weather as well.

Here in Canada it is thanksgiving weekend and golftown has a big sale on. You can get TM Lethals for $29.99 a dozen right now

Yeah I got the same email. I think I'm going to pick up a couple dozen.

I'm asking this because this is my first year getting into the sport, but what sort of deals and closeouts on high end balls are we likely to see in the coming months? I wouldn't mind stocking up for next year.

I'm asking this because this is my first year getting into the sport, but what sort of deals and closeouts on high end balls are we likely to see in the coming months? I wouldn't mind stocking up for next year.

I would pay attention to lostgolfballs.com or a similar used golf ball site.

I'm a little more curious about closeout deals on new balls. I know Taylormade will have a new ball next year as well as Nike. I picked up some of the 20XI recently for $20. Are deals like that common?

I'm a little more curious about closeout deals on new balls. I know Taylormade will have a new ball next year as well as Nike. I picked up some of the 20XI recently for $20. Are deals like that common?

I guess I should have asked what you consider premium. If you're talking prov1, hex black, b330...then I don't think you will find closeouts like that on new balls. Mint quality used balls of these brands are basically brand new if you buy from the right place.

I would imagine premium Nike and TM balls have a better chance of going on closeout.

Id say yes, gotta drop the price to help justify the price for the following line.

Played the ProV1x today. The ball combined with slowing down my swing resulted in some long bombs. There is a par 4 dog leg left hole that I usually hit the bend at with no problems, today I slammed the ball past the bend and wound up losing it in the woods. I hit the ball straight and was the only time I did not get upset about losing a ball. Can't get mad when you absolutely crush the ball past the dogleg and into the trees.

Back