I like mechanical watches. I like the weight, the heartbeat, the mechanical sweep of the second hand. Even the best aren't the best timekeepers per $ though, they're pure pleasure, like an expensive, custom putter.

Took 10 years for my Breitling to lose a few minutes each month so it's due for a service. Waterproof watches require special care so they remain waterproof, so that turns out to be about 5x the cost to maintain over an ordinary quartz watch, about 2x as expensive as my wife's waterproof Tag that has to be sent out for a battery.

Not the least expensive way to wear a watch, but for me $50/year equivalent is ok. Compared to golf and saving for the kids college...it's irrelevant.

Quoting from fairly far back in the thread here, but yeah, a mechanical watch will probably last a lifetime. But only if you get it regularly serviced, every 2 to 3 years, and that ain't particularly cheap.

D'oh I was typing that whilst the guy above me was typing LOL. Oh, I do realize what I have, but new bezel, new movement, new clasp, maybe I've just been unlucky. Yeah, it gets regularly serviced. Tag wanted £250 to do it, what's that, about $400! Ridiculous! I found a great jeweler in the UK that did it, I need to find one here. Oh, and no, you can't have it for $10!!! LOL

Darn!! I was keeping my fingers crossed!!

Any other of you watch freaks have an "ideal rotation" in mind for the future, or even have it right now? I think mine would be 4 total watches and would go as follows:

Dive/Beater: Victorinox Dive Master 500m (I've handled it, the thing is a tank haha)
$(KGrHqR,!igFC0muqKN2BQ2j9FbUM!~~60_35.JPG

Casual: Victorinox Airboss Mach 4 (my current watch)
NOH_2012423SW4M12SZS7N5Y4A.jpg

Work/Semi-Formal: Omega Speedmaster Day-Date
3520.50_main.jpg

Dress/Formal: JS Watch 101
101-JS_III_02-020-Edit.jpg

I'm not so much for a rotation per se, but making my collection larger and larger. You know, just pick a watch that best goes with what you're wearing.

I look at some as an investment.

I added another Breitling to my home, SuperOcean 42 in Blue this time to match a Yellow. Great casual dress watch.

I added another Breitling to my home, SuperOcean 42 in Blue this time to match a Yellow. Great casual dress watch.

You got any in hand pics, love me some Breitling

No - wearing my Seamaster on this trip. Just ordered the Blue. Saw a guy wearing one on a flight last week and I had to have it.

So far I count two Breitlings and a Seamaster. We'd love to see pics of the collection man!

So far I count two Breitlings and a Seamaster. We'd love to see pics of the collection man!

Watches, Cars, Golf Clubs - throw in wine and you have my vices covered. One wife golf of nearly 25 years though! On the road but I'll share watch picks. I always travel with a casual Omega Seamaster.
avera3am.jpg

Watches, Cars, Golf Clubs - throw in wine and you have my vices covered. One wife golf of nearly 25 years though! On the road but I'll share watch picks. I always travel with a casual Omega Seamaster.

Substitute ski gear for cars and you've got me covered as well haha. That's a beauty man, I've always loved the SMP, especially the wave pattern on the dial.

Substitute ski gear for cars and you've got me covered as well haha. That's a beauty man, I've always loved the SMP, especially the wave pattern on the dial.

The wave pattern is what sold me. Actually picked it up in Zurich about 3 years ago, lost a Seamaster in a hotel about 2 weeks beforehand and was roaming the streets of Zurich on a Friday afternoon after a conference in between world cup matches and ended up replacing it with this one. Great price point, simple watch and goes with me everywhere.

The wave pattern is what sold me. Actually picked it up in Zurich about 3 years ago, lost a Seamaster in a hotel about 2 weeks beforehand and was roaming the streets of Zurich on a Friday afternoon after a conference in between world cup matches and ended up replacing it with this one. Great price point, simple watch and goes with me everywhere.

Went right to the source to get your Swiss watch! Yeah, the quartz definitely is quite affordable as Omegas go.

Went right to the source to get your Swiss watch! Yeah, the quartz definitely is quite affordable as Omegas go.

Well that was just a coincidence. I used to do a lot of international travel. If you are a watch but Zurich is a dangerous place to walk the streets!!

I brought a Black Faced Brietling Crosswind in Antwerp back in 2003, sold it last year for £200 less than I originally paid for it, it was a lovely looking watch but I just went off of it. My every day watch is a Suunto X-lander which is so far on its 3rd strap in 4 years, one rotted, one of my Ridgeback Puppies ate one and now its sports a cheap webbing strap which is lasting. My I am not working watch is a Limited Edition Blue Faced Tag Monaco Gulf, the Watch smiths price was a bit steep but managed to get £500 pounds off the price to bring it down to £4000 or roughly $6000 or so.

I'd actually gone into town for a couple of beers and walked past the window and just saw it sitting there, it was the only one on display and the only Gulf one I had seen, quick bit of negotiation and out I walked with it, in a kind of daze and wondering why had I just spent the price of a small car on a watch. That is one watch I will never part with.

u3a3u2er.jpg

Didn't realize I had this in my briefcase Ski, another from the collection. I'll round up others when I get back from my trip late next week

Okay, I'll join in. Here's some of my collection...

IMG_3621_zpsd0bf4b86.jpg
IMG_3624_zpsaedaf361.jpg

Next purchase (hopefully shortly after the new year)

attachment.php

I really love the green crystal. Rolex grows it especially for this watch.

I only have one, a breitling colt gmt that I wear daily for everything.

Breitling-A32350-blk-arabic-ss-pro-colt-Gmt-Collection-Watch_1_110_0.jpg

Just found this thread. I love watches. I wear a Speedmaster, daily. The original, mechanical manual-wind with the hesalite crystal face. I love it.

The Speedmaster history, durability, dress up/down classy looks, and overall attractiveness to the pure mechanical movement makes this a keeper for me for life.

6y4yga7a.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
G-Shock user here. Needed it for UPS since I bang myself up a lot.

Wow, you guys are off the charts awesome with some of these collections. I've never been much of a watch guy, a few friends who are, just not me. I had a Callaway watch (surprises no one I'm sure) but I accidentally left it in a golf cart after a round. I walked to the car, walked back and asked the kid cleaning the cart and got, "haven't seen it". Wasn't a happy with myself or the course staff for that matter and it was a private club too.

im late tot his convo, but im thinking of grabbing a citizen echo drive watch, not as nice as some of what ive seen here, but, its pretty nice. my everyday watch is a fossil that i bought the day i graduated basic training.

I have never been what one would label "a watch guy". The most important thing to me about a watch is that it does not turn my wrist green. About 30 years ago, I purchased a gold watch made by Geneve. In those 30 years, I've only replaced the crystal and it still looks like new. It has met my needs for 30 years, so I figure it will continue to do so. If I do anything close to being a watch collector, it would be cuff links. I like french cuff dress shirts.

Back