Phuyge28

Reaction score
Handicap
I am currently getting lessons (bad timing as the seasons is just about to end) and found myself picking up the first lessons rather easily, but now I am struggling like none other. I had two problems that were trying to be fixed. 1. On the start of the downswing, my whole body lunged towards the target instead of having my arms rotate around my body keeping my head in place. 2. I would cast the club making a really high ball flight. I have been to the range several times after the lesson but cannot seem to fix this problem. If I'm not hitting it super thin, I'm hitting it straight right with a slicing action. I have tried everything in my power to fix it but I just can't figure it out. Any suggestions?

I just started a couple of months ago and sounds like I may have had similar problems. It would be easier if I could see a video of your swing to see what you are describing. When you say lunging towards the target are you talking about shifting your body left(if right handed)? Also are you saying you are also having trouble keeping your head still? Here are a couple of exercises you can try. Inside the house stand in a doorway and get into swing position so that your head touches the doorframe. Try to mimic your swing but keep your head from moving on the doorframe. I never got around to trying this.

the one that worked for me was to go outside on a sunny day with my back against the sun so I could see my shadow. Practice your swing and focus on the head of your shadow not moving. If this is too hard to start, shorten your backswing and slow your swing rate. Then slowly increase both. You will also be able to see when and how much you are lunging as well. Take a look at YouTube for more exercise ideas.

This is the ask the pro section, we are to keep it clean until the Golf Tec pro answers.

Thanks for the question. First couple of comments would be this is a great time to get lessons and work on your game. Your golfing friends are putting the clubs away and you are getting better so next year you will be beating them. Second, don't feel frustrated after some nice progress in your first couple of lessons and then feeling like the progress as slowed down once you started working on the downswing. The downswing changes usually take more time. Based on the changes you are trying to make here are some drills to help you improve.

For the lunging, practice with a something in front of your lead leg so you can't lunge forward. Try to pick a dimple of the back of the ball and make sure you can see that at impact. Practice this at home up against a wall or couch. A feeling like your lead leg straightens is something my students will use to help with a lunging motion.

As for casting the club, not lunging will help but then try to de-loft the club at impact. A visual of the shaft leaning forward or hands being forward at impact is good to help accomplish this. Try putting a towel behind the ball your are hitting and then hitting shots slowly without touching the towel (start with the towel being 2 inches away from the ball and the n you can work it closer)

Hope these help, good luck in your practice and keep at your lessons!

Josh Miller
PGA Certified Professional
GolfTEC - Golden, CO

Thank you very much! Your drills definitely helped! I have found another drill that works is closing my stance by moving my right foot back (I'm a right handed golfer) so that my toe is lined up with my left foot heel. On the back swing, make sure I get weight onto the right heel and on the follow through make sure I get my weight on the left toe. This stance makes it very difficult to slide the hips forward and almost forces you to rotate through the shot.

Back