HyperIce Review Thread

So I did a little experiment the last two days, no ice after practice.

I couldn't get to the range Monday but did take dry swings working on my swing form, probably 100 swings or so.

Yesterday I got to the range and hit a large bucket(100balls).

Both days my shoulder ached after the sessions and then the next morning. My shoulder is still ache now as I expected it would be and it would be worse if I had hit my normal amount of balls(150).

I wanted to see how big of a difference the icing made for my shoulder the next day and I will say it makes a huge difference the next day.

HYPERICE | Ice Compression Technology

Product Testing: Utility

What they say: “The fixer. Designed to go almost anywhere. Compact design fitted with smaller ice cell, for targeted cold and compression to fight inflammation. A must for any athlete to repair rolled ankles, tendonitis, bumps, and bruises.”

Product Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiQzj6t_trY

Uses: Provides optimal cold therapy for: high or low ankle sprains, shin splints, elbow tendonitis (tennis elbow), plantar fasciitis, wrist sprains, bruised feet or hands, achilles strain/tendonisits, calf strains, bruised forearms and biceps.

Endorsers: Blake Griffin (Basketball), Troy Palamalu (Football) and Lauren Collins (Track & Field).

Product Price (HYPERICE Store): $90.00
My Review:

Product Packaging:​
The packaging is really clean. The corrugate (box) used is of great quality. It could be a great place to store the HYPERICE when not in use. You do not get a lot of unnecessary “filler” with the packaging. The contents are limited to Box, HYPERICE and Product(s) Manual.

Product Parts:

Ice Cell- The ice cell serves the purpose of containing the ice while being applied to your body, the left wrist in my case. HYPERICE recommends the use of smaller cubes or crushed ice to fill the ice cell. This allows the ice cell to conform to the contours of your body. The same should be used for any other ice application product. While using smaller pieces of ice will contour to your body better, the smaller pieces will also melt faster. Same concept should be followed while mixing a stiff drink to sip on while icing your sore body. I digress as I am not hear to review the actual ice to be used, but more so the HYPERICE. The best part of the ice cell is the Air Release Valve. The allows you to release all remaining air from the ice cell as it is applied to your body, allowing for maximum contact and shape retention. Great Feature.

Strap: The strap is really well constructed. It is made of 30% Nylon and 70% Neoprene. It is attached to itself using Velcro on the tips of the strap. The strap can be hand washed and hanged to dry (not in sunlight). The strap is incredibly soft and has very smooth hemmed edges. I do not see there being any risk of tearing, fraying or uncomfortable pulling of the hair with this high quality strap.

In all, the concept, material and construction method make this a great product to ice down those sore wrists, elbow, knees, shins and ankles.

My experience:

I suffer from severe pain in my left wrist from inflammation. The doctor tells me it is from tendonitis and should be treated with anti-inflammatory medication and ice/heat. I have struggled with ice bottle/bags held to my wrist with ace bandages long enough. The HYPERICE Utility replaces the bottle/bag and ace bandage. While the HYPERICE is an ice cell and a strap, it is so much more than just that.
Fortunately for me I have not had the pain in my wrist since receiving the HYPERICE, but the pain is not required for testing this awesome product. I know that ice works, so I am not testing the use of ice, but instead the use of the HYPERICE for icing my sore wrist.

I will go step by step through the instructions:
Step 1: Fill the Ice Cell 2/3 with ice
-Smaller ice is recommended, therefore I used crushed ice (via my refrigerator). The opening of the ice cell will more than accommodate any “larger” ice cubes your refrigerator will make, The ice cell is also large enough the hold enough ice (even at 2/3 filled) to keep my sore wrist iced for long periods of time.

Step 2: Place the Ice Cell on a flat surface and flatten out
-You can follow this step if you want, but they basically want you to get the bag as flat as possible with the least amount of air possible.

Step 3: Insert the Ice Cell into the Compression Wrap
-This is where I deviate from the instructions. It is much easier for me to place the Ice Cell in the Compression Wrap before I fill it with ice. I stretch the Compression Wrap around the mouth of the Ice Cell, fill with ice and then flatten to remover the air.

Step 4: Place on the body and apply the compression straps to the desired level of compression.
-This is where this product shines. I centered the ice cell on my wrist and attached the middle strap to keep the wrap in place. I was then able to tighten the other two straps to my desired compression level, tight. Then I went back and tightened the middle strap. This process, when typed out, sound intense, but it is really easy. Compare this to holding an ice pack on your wrist and trying desperately to balance the pack on your wrist while using you other hand to tightly wrap the ace bandage around the pack and your wrist. It is totally ridiculous and ineffective when compared to the HYPERICE.

Step 5: Press the Aire Release Valve to remove the air from the Ice Cell.
-It is really great to get any remaining air out of the Ice Cell. This make the cell fit much better to your wrist. If you originally left a lot of air in the cell, you may need to retighten the strap after releasing the remaining air.

Step 6: Leave the deive on for 15-20 minutes. Press the Air Release Valve once every 5 minutes to release any accumulated air.
-I leave my ice wrap on for longer than 15-20 minutes. It is awesome to be able to release the accumulated air without having to restrap. This keeps everything nice and flush to the wrist.

Conclusion:

I think feel that HYPERICE gives you a great option with the Utility. This can be used all over the body. Even though they supply a product designed for other parts of the body. With a little creativity, the Utility may give you the needed support for other areas.
I was really surprised at how active I could be while wearing the HYPERICE. With the Velcro straps, I was able to get the compression really tight, and everything just stayed in place. Now I was not able to go hit balls or anything like that, but I was able to Tapatalk, play GTA V and walk around with my dog. It is bigger than an ice pack and ace bandage, but it is not cumbersome.
At $90 the question is raised as to if it is worth it. You are paying $90 to replace a $10-$15 ice bag and a $5 ace bandage. You could look at it as $90 vs $20, but that is very near sighted. The HYPERICE preforms so much better than the conventional ice pack and bandage. With the features of the Air Release Valve, Velcro straps, quality Neoprene and Nylon materials, contour fitting, ease of operation and overall high quality parts, I honestly feel this is a great product at $90 if you are going to use it frequently. If you suffer from wrist pain on a regular basis, yes you need to buy this product. If you use an ice pack once a year, stick with what you are doing.
I am a firm believer of “You Get What You Pay For”, and you are really paying for some great quality with HYPERICE.

^^^^^^^ Great review!

I guess I should've spent more time on their website. This Utility wrap can be used for Planter Faciaitis too? I was really considering one for my elbow, but if it could really be used for PF as well, it would be worth $90 to me easy.

Great stuff gentlemen. Chalk another one up for the lower back from time to time. Would love to know how that one went. Still looks like a great system.

HYPERICE | Ice Compression Technology
At $90 the question is raised as to if it is worth it. You are paying $90 to replace a $10-$15 ice bag and a $5 ace bandage. You could look at it as $90 vs $20, but that is very near sighted. The HYPERICE preforms so much better than the conventional ice pack and bandage. With the features of the Air Release Valve, Velcro straps, quality Neoprene and Nylon materials, contour fitting, ease of operation and overall high quality parts, I honestly feel this is a great product at $90 if you are going to use it frequently. If you suffer from wrist pain on a regular basis, yes you need to buy this product. If you use an ice pack once a year, stick with what you are doing.
I am a firm believer of “You Get What You Pay For”, and you are really paying for some great quality with HYPERICE.

This was the question I was thinking about tonight after my back has been hurting from playing today. Right now I'm sitting on a big ice bag thing that goes in a cooler, and it didn't cost me anything; what is it about this product that makes it worth $90-$100? Cody, you did a good job of answering and giving your feedback, but I'd be interested to hear from the rest. Now that you've got the product for testing, if it was taken away and you had to buy one to replace it, would you buy this product again with your own money?

I know you guys are resting for golf related pain and soreness, but do any of you experience arthritic pain? If so how has the HyperIce worked in those instances?

what is it about this product that makes it worth $90-$100? Cody, you did a good job of answering and giving your feedback, but I'd be interested to hear from the rest.

Now that you've got the product for testing, if it was taken away and you had to buy one to replace it, would you buy this product again with your own money?

With me testing the shoulder wrap it's the

-ease of use/ability to ice my shoulder down by myself and not have to fight an ace wrap.

-ability to be mobile and get things done while icing.

-ease of transport, I can stop in the club house/at a gas station fill it with ice wrap up and go on to what it is I'm doing after the round/practice session. Heck I have no problem sitting in the club house drinking a cold one while icing my shoulder.

To the second part yes I would- because it gives me the ability to get back to the game the next day or even the same day with out discomfort. I've seen and felt the difference that this has made after a range session and with my plans to step up my practice this wrap will allow me to do that.

With me testing the shoulder wrap it's the

-ease of use/ability to ice my shoulder down by myself and not have to fight an ace wrap.

-ability to be mobile and get things done while icing.

-ease of transport, I can stop in the club house/at a gas station fill it with ice wrap up and go on to what it is I'm doing after the round/practice session. Heck I have no problem sitting in the club house drinking a cold one while icing my shoulder.

To the second part yes I would- because it gives me the ability to get back to the game the next day or even the same day with out discomfort. I've seen and felt the difference that this has made after a range session and with my plans to step up my practice this wrap will allow me to do that.

Glad to see it's working for you! My left shoulder is a mess - think it may be time to invest in one of these!

Glad to see it's working for you! My left shoulder is a mess - think it may be time to invest in one of these!

Mine too I can't even sleep on it without pain when I wake up.

Big if your shoulder is irritated and inflamed after a practice session or a round then I definitely recommend picking one of these up.

I just bought the hyper ice for my knee which has been painful for weeks, used it once already and my knee is feeling a little better. Hopefully after a few sessions it will a lot better. The only niggle I have with it is when the ice starts to melt and you press the button to release the air some water will escape as well. Its not a big problem though if you keep your leg raised when pushing the button.

Chas please join us in this thread and keep us informed in how this works for you.

Do you have problems with your knee from an old injury? Sugery?

Chas please join us in this thread and keep us informed in how this works for you.

Do you have problems with your knee from an old injury? Sugery?

its only flared up in the last month, got so bad I could not walk with out knee pain. I am carrying a few extra pounds which does not help. Over the summer here I was playing 4/5 full rounds a week , I walk as well and to walk my course is about 5 miles. I went for an X-ray and there was no physical knee damage and was told it was ligament strains. I have been told rest and this what I plan to do with added help of hyperice.

here are some pics of the retail packaging which is pretty cool.

Last edited:
its only flared up in the last month, got so bad I could not walk with out knee pain. I am carrying a few extra pounds which does not help. Over the summer here I was playing 4/5 full rounds a week , I walk as well and to walk my course is about 5 miles. I went for an X-ray and there was no physical knee damage and was told it was ligament strains. I have been told rest and this what I plan to do with added help of hyperice.

Ok, yeah rest is a good thing icing should help as well after you've been active.

I know you guys are resting for golf related pain and soreness, but do any of you experience arthritic pain? If so how has the HyperIce worked in those instances?

I have the beginning signs of arthritis in my right knee and the Hyperice has helped a lot with the swelling & associated pain I have because of it.

I just bought the hyper ice for my knee which has been painful for weeks, used it once already and my knee is feeling a little better. Hopefully after a few sessions it will a lot better. The only niggle I have with it is when the ice starts to melt and you press the button to release the air some water will escape as well. Its not a big problem though if you keep your leg raised when pushing the button.

I found the same problem but as you say, I just make sure my leg is elevated or at least not standing on the carpet.

How's everyone doing with their testing?

Played 18 holes yesterday then loaded 2 tons of wood pellets into the basement last night and a short range session today. With as sore and achey as I am today I wish I had several of these to use(right shoulder, knee & utility).

Since getting the shoulder wrap I no longer have to limit my practice time or # of days in a row I can practice or play. The ability for me to apply ice to my shoulder and the effect it has at preventing/lessening the inflammation and soreness that I grew accustomed to is fantastic.

As I type this now the difference in feeling between my left(wrapped) and my right shoulder(unwrapped) is huge.

Ice

Tonight I used some left over bought ice I found in the freezer from a gathering we had at the end of summer and it worked great.

As far as what ice to use the smaller chipped or crushed ice works better at covering the whole area. While the large ice cube tray ice works and does the trick it does leave some gaps in the contact area that doesn't seem to effect how effective the wrap is.

Sorry I missed this the other day.

I wouldn't call what I have arthritic so I can"t help ya much there. Hopefully one of the other testers can.

So I have been doing some lifting, bending, kneeling and a bunch of other stuff I typically do not do. I have found my quad and hamstring to be very sore. Last night I took the Utility and placed it on my upper leg. Worked wonderfully. Stayed in place as I did some light walking in the hotel room. The fit was great, as I was able to get, and keep, the straps tight.

While the ice cell is awesome, enough cannot be said about how great these straps work. If I am still sore when I get home tonight, I am thinking of placing a heating pad on my hamstring and using the HyperIce strap to keep it in place. I know this isn't the intended use, but a 5 irons intense use isn't to punch out of the woods either.

^^^^Just Tapped That

So I have been doing some lifting, bending, kneeling and a bunch of other stuff I typically do not do. I have found my quad and hamstring to be very sore. Last night I took the Utility and placed it on my upper leg. Worked wonderfully. Stayed in place as I did some light walking in the hotel room. The fit was great, as I was able to get, and keep, the straps tight.

While the ice cell is awesome, enough cannot be said about how great these straps work. If I am still sore when I get home tonight, I am thinking of placing a heating pad on my hamstring and using the HyperIce strap to keep it in place. I know this isn't the intended use, but a 5 irons intense use isn't to punch out of the woods either.

^^^^Just Tapped That

Cody, Glad to see you are putting the utility through its paces and using it in different location on the body. I never would have thought to try it on my thigh, good work dude. Does your thigh feel better today after icing last night.

I will be interested to see how holding a heat pad down works, although I have no doubt it will work great.

Cody, Glad to see you are putting the utility through its paces and using it in different location on the body. I never would have thought to try it on my thigh, good work dude. Does your thigh feel better today after icing last night.

I will be interested to see how holding a heat pad down works, although I have no doubt it will work great.

To be honest the ice didn't help any, but it is because ice wasn't the proper treatment. Heat works much better on sore muscles for me. I just wanted to test the HyperIce on my leg to see if the product would work, and it did. That is why I am going to try the heating pad instead of the ice. I almost filled the ice cell with hot water to make a homemade heating pad, but I didn't want to jeopardize the product. I will just wait until I get home.

^^^^Just Tapped That

To be honest the ice didn't help any, but it is because ice wasn't the proper treatment. Heat works much better on sore muscles for me. I just wanted to test the HyperIce on my leg to see if the product would work, and it did. That is why I am going to try the heating pad instead of the ice. I almost filled the ice cell with hot water to make a homemade heating pad, but I didn't want to jeopardize the product. I will just wait until I get home.

^^^^Just Tapped That

My instruction booklet said to never put just water in the bladder. At least don't put water in it then freeze it.

#ImWithChad

I apologize for lack of updates from me. Life has been so crazy here I didn't have time to ice for almost 3 days.

Long story short, boss didn't believe me when I quit and scheduled me the rest of the week. He called me in and we talked things through. I'm eligible for a sizable bonus right now so I have to give a full 2 weeks notice. My last day is now November 1st.

So in the meantime I'm working 46 hours a week and trying to move my new job along as well. I've been on my feet more than normal and should have been icing but when I get home at 2am every morning, I just pass out in bed.

I did end up icing on Friday night and it was so nice. I noticed a HUGE difference between hypericing every day and then not hypericing consistently. My knees started aching terribly on Friday as I'd been on my feet from 8am until 11pm.

Thankfully I have today off and will get to rest and hyperice today.

#ImWithChad

Finally got out for 18 today then a 2 mile run this afternoon. I'm not sore but went ahead & iced down.
There has been a fair amount of interest concerning ease of movement while wearing the knee wrap. Here's a short video of me walking with it on.

dedf92fecbc6482ba721f32d3ca5b1c0_zpsa4873115.mp4

I apologize for lack of updates from me. Life has been so crazy here I didn't have time to ice for almost 3 days.

Long story short, boss didn't believe me when I quit and scheduled me the rest of the week. He called me in and we talked things through. I'm eligible for a sizable bonus right now so I have to give a full 2 weeks notice. My last day is now November 1st.

So in the meantime I'm working 46 hours a week and trying to move my new job along as well. I've been on my feet more than normal and should have been icing but when I get home at 2am every morning, I just pass out in bed.

I did end up icing on Friday night and it was so nice. I noticed a HUGE difference between hypericing every day and then not hypericing consistently. My knees started aching terribly on Friday as I'd been on my feet from 8am until 11pm.

Thankfully I have today off and will get to rest and hyperice today.

#ImWithChad

Sorry to hear things are rough right now for you. Is it possible to ice on your way home so that you don't have to stay up later once you get home?

Glad to hear that HyperIcing make a huge difference for you the next day.

Finally got out for 18 today then a 2 mile run this afternoon. I'm not sore but went ahead & iced down.
There has been a fair amount of interest concerning ease of movement while wearing the knee wrap. Here's a short video of me walking with it on.

dedf92fecbc6482ba721f32d3ca5b1c0_zpsa4873115.mp4

Preventing the soreness is exactly what these are intended for. Will be interested in hearing how you feel tomorrow.

Your link to the video isn't showing.

Back