Hunting - (Warning graphic photos inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hunters, what are your opinions on the .308Win and 30-06 as far as cartridges? On a forum I have been lurking on, there is a post discussing the best "all-round" cartridge for a new shooter, and of the 4 page discussion, the first 2 pages said the these two are fine, while the last two have been about people calling them inadequate, and that the person who's asking the question needs to look into the .30 cal magnum cartridges - whether it is a 300RUM or a 338WM Or even a 375. Keep in mind that the person asking is from Canada and not somewhere in the African Savannah...

Thoughts?

Depends on what the majority of your hunting will be. Both are excellent rounds and are very versatile. They can both be used for varmints or elk. Magnums are good for longer ranges, as they retain more energy at longer distances. For most of my deer hunting I use a 243 or a 25-06 and have made shots up to 350yds with no problems. Remember, bullet construction and shot placement are the most important things.

Rat it depends on your game and the distance you want/plan on using it at. Both of those rounds are excellent for almost any game at ranges most can shoot and be accurate at.

With out more info on what you want to hunt and shot distance it's hard to say what the best cartridge is.

This guy is an admitted newb who's probably never fired a rifle (like me), and just wants to learn. So he asked an honest question about shooting a deer at 1000m - most of the nice guys realised that he made a mistake and taught him that most shots take place from 50-200m at the farthest, while others started to poopoo their advice on a 308 or a 30-06 for all usable distances, and advocate that the 30 cal magnums are really the only cartridge to go with. Especially if you want to engage a dangerous bear or something.

When I get my Ruger Gunsite Scout in 308, I really don't plan on engaging anything farther than 100m since I really have a hard time believing that anything beyond that is possible to see and accurately peg with iron sights (this of course is after lots and lots of practice).

I shoot.. a LOT. competitively, mostly 1,000yard bench rest and F-class. A 30-06 and a 308 can shoot at 1,000 yards, but its definetly not an easy caliber for a newbie (not that any is at that range) I own a 300rum, which is my 1k gun, it shoots 208gr amax rediculously good at that range. For deer hunting out to 400-500 yards a 308 or 30-06 with good ammo, and lots of range time is a great gun. my personal opinion would be for a remington 700 or savage 110 with a good leupold (im partial to vx-3) with the CDS dial turret for your load. Makes it easy to get on target at 500+.

This guy is an admitted newb who's probably never fired a rifle (like me), and just wants to learn. So he asked an honest question about shooting a deer at 1000m - most of the nice guys realised that he made a mistake and taught him that most shots take place from 50-200m at the farthest, while others started to poopoo their advice on a 308 or a 30-06 for all usable distances, and advocate that the 30 cal magnums are really the only cartridge to go with. Especially if you want to engage a dangerous bear or something.

When I get my Ruger Gunsite Scout in 308, I really don't plan on engaging anything farther than 100m since I really have a hard time believing that anything beyond that is possible to see and accurately peg with iron sights (this of course is after lots and lots of practice).

Ok I didn't realize it wasn't for you. 1000m with a 308 is possible but would take a super rifle and lots of practice. For a great all around cartridge with good distance capabilities the 270 is a great cartridge and has a lot less recoil than the 308 or 30-06. The 270 win will carry very accurately to 300-400m and still have plenty of takedown power. I have compared the ballistics to the 308 and they are actually very similar in energy and bullet drop.

Ok I didn't realize it wasn't for you. 1000m with a 308 is possible but would take a super rifle and lots of practice. For a great all around cartridge with good distance capabilities the 270 is a great cartridge and has a lot less recoil than the 308 or 30-06. The 270 win will carry very accurately to 300-400m and still have plenty of takedown power. I have compared the ballistics to the 308 and they are actually very similar in energy and bullet drop.

I was wondering the same thing, but I didn't ask the question on the other forum.
I already have a .308Win Ruger Gunsite Scout on order and it should be here in the next month, but based on what some of these guys are saying, it sounds like I will be carrying around a pea-shooter or a spitball tube. I just can't see how that would be the case given the 50+ years of hunting experience with the same cartridge.

I was wondering the same thing, but I didn't ask the question on the other forum.
I already have a .308Win Ruger Gunsite Scout on order and it should be here in the next month, but based on what some of these guys are saying, it sounds like I will be carrying around a pea-shooter or a spitball tube. I just can't see how that would be the case given the 50+ years of hunting experience with the same cartridge.

Rat,
Way to many people jump on the bigger is always better bandwagon. There are guys around here that think you have to have a 7mm Mag or .300 mag to kill these little 120 - 200 pound deer we have in this area. With a decent shot, even .22 mags and .22 Hornets are more than lethal on that size game.
The .308Win. is an inherently accurate cartridge and has a wide selection of ammo for it, making it possible to use it on anything from varmints to elk.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the 30-06, I'm just partial to the .308Win.

308 has a MUCH better selection of bullets. Bullet mfg's havent really got on board with high BC bullets for .277 vs .308. Drop can be compensated, knockdown power cannot. a 165 gr bullet out of a .308 is going to be more slippery than a 160grain .277 bullet, it will also have much better sectional density

Its that time of year. Had to resurrect this thread to share my father's weekend success:

629f42c7-207d-4f2d-a93c-bf32fd89d133.jpg

Taken in the Gila Forest in southern NM.

Very nice bull! My dad is in Wyoming right now hunting for elk. A couple of weeks ago he killed a very nice proghorn in Wyoming.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Its that time of year. Had to resurrect this thread to share my father's weekend success:

629f42c7-207d-4f2d-a93c-bf32fd89d133.jpg

Taken in the Gila Forest in southern NM.

well, it's pretty obvious he should've given him another year...

wow. that is a hoss! good work!

Wow nice buck!

I have been out a few times this year for ducks and this weekend I was out for pheasants. No luck on the pheasants, but we got some hun which were pretty tasty!

I'm hoping to get in a few Duck hunts this winter with my father in law. He's got a great set up in Arkansas and we always have a lot of fun.

Just got my gear out of the basement. Haven't went in about 15 years (used to go with my dad til he passed) but a buddy of mine and his dad own some land about an hour away and they invited me come gun season.

Excited and nervous to get back out there. My old man always field dressed the deer so I can't wait to figure it out on the fly via YouTube!

I have a couple of whitetail monsters on trail cams. 2 10 points , a huge 8, and a really decent 6/7 point.
But I haven't practiced any with my bow this year, and I will not hunt with it unless I am 100% sure of executing a good shot.

Hope they are still around in a month for rifle season.

Just call me...Barb

Havent even had an opportunity to get out yet. Its sad when I have over 90 acres available to hunt on within 10 mins from my house. The freezer is empty of venison.

Theres not much I want to do more but I need a guide ti show me the ropes.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

I'm gearing up for mule deer (rifle) here in NM in a couple of weeks. I'm essentially a rookie learning everything I wish I had learned as a kid, not a 35 yo, so wish me luck.

I'm still looking to get out for the first time this year with the bow. It's been a case of schedule/weather clashes for me. I normally would have been out 10 times or so already, but this year has just not been the case.

I'm gearing up for mule deer (rifle) here in NM in a couple of weeks. I'm essentially a rookie learning everything I wish I had learned as a kid, not a 35 yo, so wish me luck.

I wish we had mule deer around here. My dad bagged one in Colorado years ago. So awesome.

Got one!

Got one!

I wish we had mule deer around here. My dad bagged one in Colorado years ago. So awesome.

I had a crazy day this Sunday but got this amazing buck. Talk about beginner's luck (plus a lot preparation.) He's a 6x5.

r05k3n.jpg

I had a crazy day this Sunday but got this amazing buck. Talk about beginner's luck (plus a lot preparation.) He's a 6x5.

r05k3n.jpg

Very nice buck! A big muley is on my bucket list. One day I will get him.

Congrats Nuevo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back