Need higher launching iron shafts! Help please

BogeyMan60

Reaction score
Handicap
My Gut
Here lately I'm noticing that I'm just not getting the trajectory I need to hold the greens, especially with my mid irons. I'm getting the yardages I'm expecting, I'm just not getting the ball up in the air high enough and I think that could be costing me a little distance. My irons are Ping G10s with Ping AWT shafts. From what I've read they are designed to help keep the ball down and I think that they're kind of keeping me from getting the most I can get out of my irons. The two options I've really researched and am interested in are the KBS Tour 90 and the Aerotech Steelfiber i80s. I'm also pondering having them soft stepped once when they are installed. I know the Aerotechs are quite a bit more expensive but that's no big deal, I just need help making a decision between the two or any other options yall may have and would really appreciate some opinions and thoughts. Thanks as always!

There was a large testing thread a couple of years back on here on the KBS Tour 90 shafts: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?33318-KBS-Tour-90-Shafts-Review-Forum-Testing

I think you'll get much more feedback on those shafts than the Aerotechs. A few guys on here have played the Aerotech shafts, but I'm not sure if anyone has played the i80s. What I've heard is that the Aerotechs in other weights (ex. i95) play stiff to flex, as in some people that were on the border between regular and stiff in other shafts had no problem playing regular in those shafts.

What flex are you playing in them? The AWT is intended to be a mid-high launching flighted shaft, it has a similar profile to the PX flighted, so if you're getting a lower trajectory with them it could be that you need a softer flex to get it up where you want it.

What flex are you playing in them? The AWT is intended to be a mid-high launching flighted shaft, it has a similar profile to the PX flighted, so if you're getting a lower trajectory with them it could be that you need a softer flex to get it up where you want it.

I currently play regular flex, my driver swing speed hovers around 100, a little less when I take it easy and a little higher when I really step on it. I try not to step on it though because that usually turns into a big old hook for me.

Nippon NS Pro Series is a treat.

Nippon NS Pro Series is a treat.

That's what I switched to because I was having issues getting the ball up. Love those Shafts now.

Those Ping shafts should be pretty high launching. I don't think I would consider the Steelfiber as a high launch shaft. At the 80g weight it's more of a mid.

KBS 90, TT GS95, NSPro 950, PX95 are viable options. Should be able to test these from a pro shop fitting cart. Wish I could provide more insightful information but everyone reacts differently to equipment. Good luck.

Hi. The ping g10, is a little strong in their lofts. Their PW is 46 degrees instead of 47 or 48. A cavity back, wide sole, game improvement club head. Your AWT shaft, may not be right, but matched with the club head, could be a bad set up.
My question is, why do you want to drop 30 grams of weight in the shaft? That is a huge weight loss. The weight on the 9 iron, could be as much as a 40 gram weight difference. The Aerotech's are a great shaft and available in weights of 80,95,99,110,125 grams.
Don't let the idea that they are stiff for their flex fool you. The flex is measured on the butt end of the shaft, and does not indicate the rest of the profile and playing characteristics of the shaft.
You are use to playing an Ascending weighted shaft, not a flighted shaft.
For your PING heads, because of the strong lifts, I would recommend a flighted shaft. Consider a Rifle flighted shaft or the new Dynamic Gold PRO. Pro meaning progressive. They are very similar in weight but have much different ball flight characteristics.

I can only really speak to the KBS Tour 90 shafts. In my case I did get higher launch and more hold on the greens. This was coming from a TT R300. The KBS Tour 90 is a great product. Good luck with your search.

JM

Hi. The ping g10, is a little strong in their lofts. Their PW is 46 degrees instead of 47 or 48. A cavity back, wide sole, game improvement club head. Your AWT shaft, may not be right, but matched with the club head, could be a bad set up.
My question is, why do you want to drop 30 grams of weight in the shaft? That is a huge weight loss. The weight on the 9 iron, could be as much as a 40 gram weight difference. The Aerotech's are a great shaft and available in weights of 80,95,99,110,125 grams.
Don't let the idea that they are stiff for their flex fool you. The flex is measured on the butt end of the shaft, and does not indicate the rest of the profile and playing characteristics of the shaft.
You are use to playing an Ascending weighted shaft, not a flighted shaft.
For your PING heads, because of the strong lifts, I would recommend a flighted shaft. Consider a Rifle flighted shaft or the new Dynamic Gold PRO. Pro meaning progressive. They are very similar in weight but have much different ball flight characteristics.

I'm trying to drop the weight in order to be able to feel the club head in my swing a little better and to hopefully pick up a little clubhead speed while keeping a smoother tempo. I really do appreciate all the responses and I am looking into all the suggestions given to me. My main interest in the graphite is to help with some elbow pain I've been noticing in my swing here lately. When I read the description on the Aerotech for the i80's it emphasized increased distance with good dispersion and I thought that sounded perfect.

If you are looking for something that you can find on an OEM fitting cart I would second the NS Pros (my choice) or the KBS Tour 90s. For a much more inexpensive (while also higher flying) option, try the FST 90 (the company who makes the KBS shafts). You could have your clubmaker replace one shaft as a test. The i80 Steelfibers are more mid launch; the i70s would get you mid-high but probably not enough to make much difference from the AWTs (which most definitely are mid launch at least in the mid irons).

Before investing though, could you get on a Trackman and check your angle of attack and spin rates? I do work with plenty of golfers who, due to their swing characteristics, cannot get mid-irons high enough to maximize carry. Unless they want to make swing changes to alleviate this, I often move them to hybriid heads. At your stated swingspeed, you do have the potential to hit those clubs with the AWTs high enough.

Here lately I'm noticing that I'm just not getting the trajectory I need to hold the greens, especially with my mid irons. I'm getting the yardages I'm expecting, I'm just not getting the ball up in the air high enough and I think that could be costing me a little distance. My irons are Ping G10s with Ping AWT shafts. From what I've read they are designed to help keep the ball down and I think that they're kind of keeping me from getting the most I can get out of my irons. The two options I've really researched and am interested in are the KBS Tour 90 and the Aerotech Steelfiber i80s. I'm also pondering having them soft stepped once when they are installed. I know the Aerotechs are quite a bit more expensive but that's no big deal, I just need help making a decision between the two or any other options yall may have and would really appreciate some opinions and thoughts. Thanks as always!

Just a general question I had on this--do you take a big divot with your swing or more of a sweeper? I ask, because possibly part of the launch characteristics can come from angle of attack. And I am no expert on this--but the guys more familiar with swing mechanics may be able to help with some of this info--as always a pro would be recommended if you have that option.

Considering shaft alone It looks like you have lots of good options given.

Just a general question I had on this--do you take a big divot with your swing or more of a sweeper? I ask, because possibly part of the launch characteristics can come from angle of attack. And I am no expert on this--but the guys more familiar with swing mechanics may be able to help with some of this info--as always a pro would be recommended if you have that option.

Considering shaft alone It looks like you have lots of good options given.

I would tend to say I'm more of a sweeper, I usually take just a little chunk of turf. I am well overdue for a lesson and I will definitely have a discussion with him about the new iron shafts since he does all the work on my clubs anyways.

If you are looking for something that you can find on an OEM fitting cart I would second the NS Pros (my choice) or the KBS Tour 90s. For a much more inexpensive (while also higher flying) option, try the FST 90 (the company who makes the KBS shafts). You could have your clubmaker replace one shaft as a test. The i80 Steelfibers are more mid launch; the i70s would get you mid-high but probably not enough to make much difference from the AWTs (which most definitely are mid launch at least in the mid irons).

Before investing though, could you get on a Trackman and check your angle of attack and spin rates? I do work with plenty of golfers who, due to their swing characteristics, cannot get mid-irons high enough to maximize carry. Unless they want to make swing changes to alleviate this, I often move them to hybriid heads. At your stated swingspeed, you do have the potential to hit those clubs with the AWTs high enough.

I finally fount a place with a trackman, I've been looking for a place for awhile. I plan on calling them tomorrow and seeing if they have anyway I can try out these shafts and at least getting some numbers to help me better make a decision.

I finally fount a place with a trackman, I've been looking for a place for awhile. I plan on calling them tomorrow and seeing if they have anyway I can try out these shafts and at least getting some numbers to help me better make a decision.

Excellent - my guess (educated but still only a guess) is that you will find that you have a steep angle of attack. The steeper you get with an iron, the lower you will hit it. On your 7 iron, just about 4* downward is perfect (PGA tour average) but even 5* would be OK. Your 6 iron should be ideally 3.5* down. If this is the case, shafts will not solve it but your pro can with some swing adjustments.

I moved from Nippon 1050's to KBS Tour 90 because of this same problem. I still play them in my current irons and am moving the set from my old irons into my new Cleveland MT's tomorrow. With your SS I don't think you will need or should soft step them either.

Gentlemen, I got up this morning and went to the range and actually had a pretty good day, was getting more of the trajectory I have been looking for and the distances I was used to. Maybe I overreacted a bit hastily but I still plan on getting on the trackman then talking it over with my instructor to figure the absolute best shaft for me in my irons because I've experienced how much a perfect fit can help your game with getting by getting a Grafalloy Bi Matrix put in my driver. I'm thinking a lot of the problems I have been experiencing were due to me being sick and losing some strength. I also think being a little weakened by being sick was messing with my posture and alignment. The AWT's will get the job done for now but I still would like to get the perfect shafts put in them to maximize my potential.

Hi. I hope you feel better. Golf is healing.
There are only about 2000 shafts in the market place. The combinations are so various the only way to find what works is to find a fitter that can show you the objective data of your swing mechanics, and the dynamics of the club head. Trackman and flightscope provides this info.
If pain is the reason for going to graphite, hold off on that thought, until you go through a fitting. A proper fit, regardless of shaft might relieve the pain.
Talk to your Pro, and tell him that you have pain. Through lessons, a simple technique change can relieve the pain.
With the age if technologies, there is no reason why you should be able to have an exact answer to your question.

Hi. I hope you feel better. Golf is healing.
There are only about 2000 shafts in the market place. The combinations are so various the only way to find what works is to find a fitter that can show you the objective data of your swing mechanics, and the dynamics of the club head. Trackman and flightscope provides this info.
If pain is the reason for going to graphite, hold off on that thought, until you go through a fitting. A proper fit, regardless of shaft might relieve the pain.
Talk to your Pro, and tell him that you have pain. Through lessons, a simple technique change can relieve the pain.
With the age if technologies, there is no reason why you should be able to have an exact answer to your question.

I'm only 23, so I'm not chronic pain, its just that all the wear and tear of playing football in high school really just to start to catch up with me. Thank you for your kind words, I'm really looking forward to getting the exact as close to perfect set up for me as possible.

I'm only 23, so I'm not chronic pain, its just that all the wear and tear of playing football in high school really just to start to catch up with me. Thank you for your kind words, I'm really looking forward to getting the exact as close to perfect set up for me as possible.

Good to hear BM60! I've got news for you, the pain doesn't go away with age! lol I'm only 34 and I sometimes wonder! lol ANNWAY, glad a little range time helped work out your issues to some degree. Let us know if you need anymore help, that's what were all here for. It might not always to perfect advice, but what are internet friends for? ha

Had a good talk with my instructor today. He suggested I look into Project X PXi's, True Temper Speedstep 95s, or True Temper GS85 or GS95s. Does anyone have any thoughts on those? He thought they were all good options for my swing but I'm unsure if I could handle the Project X PXi's.

Had a good talk with my instructor today. He suggested I look into Project X PXi's, True Temper Speedstep 95s, or True Temper GS85 or GS95s. Does anyone have any thoughts on those? He thought they were all good options for my swing but I'm unsure if I could handle the Project X PXi's.

Interesting combination of shafts. The pxi and gs95 are a lower flight shaft while the gs85 is a higher flight shaft. Not 100% sure of the Speedstep 95. I would recommend looking into te Dynamic Gold SL and Dynalite Gold SL also.

Interesting combination of shafts. The pxi and gs95 are a lower flight shaft while the gs85 is a higher flight shaft. Not 100% sure of the Speedstep 95. I would recommend looking into te Dynamic Gold SL and Dynalite Gold SL also.

I thought the same myself but I trust the guy. He knows my swing and he recommended the Graffaloy Bi Matrix that I now have in my driver and that has transformed my game off the tee so I do trust him and he does know my swing pretty well.

I thought the same myself but I trust the guy. He knows my swing and he recommended the Graffaloy Bi Matrix that I now have in my driver and that has transformed my game off the tee so I do trust him and he does know my swing pretty well.

Anything can work, so it's certainly possible. Definitely try them all If you can. Just an interesting mix.

Hi BogeyMan.
I just have a question for you.
Your looking for a shaft to help your trajectory.
There is a concept amongst some golfers and pro, " aim high, hit high. Aim low, hit low."

I can can hit my 6 iron, 30 feet higher or worm burner low, any time I want. And hit it dead straight.
Can you hit the ball higher than normal or lower than normal, when you want?
There are 9 shot patterns. Most all very good players can hit any one of these shot patterns when they want.
When i do fittings for very low handicappers, THEY never mention getting a shaft to help get the ball in the air higher, because they know how to hit high anyway.
When I fit high handicappers, they don't know how to hit the ball high, so they look for help from the equipment.
the reason I ask, is a shaft design in combination with a club head is only capable of so much.
this is the point at which practice and lessons are much more beneficial.

I dont believe the AWT shaft is a hindering your game, unless they are grossly mismatched. Your Pro would have recognized that immediately. It may not be optimal.

If you put the wrong combos together is gets worse. If you put the right combo together, but you haven't learned to control your shot pattern, it still doesn't get better.

Back