FAO Mav 281 - 2nd November

Game on guys!

Scene is set for next weekend lads, 4 tee times are booked to accommodate extra people and I think my old man is going to join us to make up the first four ball of the day.

Make sure you bring an extra £5 as we will be playing pairs, and your £5 covers front, back and overall in the four ball and £2 in the pot for the School - winner takes all.

I'll see you in the bar at the club about 8am. There is only one bar area - it's on the right hand side of the "entrance passage" as you come through the main doors. You can leave clubs and shoes in the changing area at the end of the entrance passage way, you will see everyone else's clubs and shoe bags etc out there so you won't miss it.

Any probs let me know.

Cheers,

Mav

Sorry I can't join you guys...sure you will have a blast. Have a great time!

Sorry I can't join you guys...sure you will have a blast. Have a great time!

No probs matey, sure we will get a chance to catch up soon :thumb:

No probs matey, sure we will get a chance to catch up soon :thumb:

Unfortunately for me it will have to be one of our events as I don't think we will be back down south before Februay at the earliest

Shame you can't make it this weekend

Unfortunately for me it will have to be one of our events as I don't think we will be back down south before Februay at the earliest

Shame you can't make it this weekend

You never know...I may dig out my flat cap, ferret and passport and come North before then!

Any time, you are more than welcome to call in if you ever head this way

New wedges, driver and hybrid in the bag for this! Getting my excuses in early doors :)

Have a good one chaps and beware The Doc has new balls!! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Oi Geo, stop giving my secrets away... :D

See you at another get together sometime

Well the weather down here in Essex has been poor recently - very wet and windy to say the least. Consequently the course is a bit on the "sludgy" side at the moment, it doesn't drain well at the best of times but with the prolonged rain it's quite bad right now.

The rough is also quite long at the moment and there's a lot of leaves on the course at the moment so it's VERY easy to lose your ball even on a decent well hit shot so make sure you keep an eye on where you've gone.

The long and the short of it is that's it's hard work at the moment - very hard work! Just to put things in context for you - last Sat was medal day and I came 5th in my division and 10th out of 70+ players with a Nett 78 :shock:

On the plus side it looks like we might just stay dry on Saturday (certainly at this stage anyway), although I would definitely bring your wet weather gear anyway :thumb:

Well the weather down here in Essex has been poor recently - very wet and windy to say the least. Consequently the course is a bit on the "sludgy" side at the moment, it doesn't drain well at the best of times but with the prolonged rain it's quite bad right now.

The rough is also quite long at the moment and there's a lot of leaves on the course at the moment so it's VERY easy to lose your ball even on a decent well hit shot so make sure you keep an eye on where you've gone.

The long and the short of it is that's it's hard work at the moment - very hard work! Just to put things in context for you - last Sat was medal day and I came 5th in my division and 10th out of 70+ players with a Nett 78 :shock:

On the plus side it looks like we might just stay dry on Saturday (certainly at this stage anyway), although I would definitely bring your wet weather gear anyway :thumb:
How are the greens playing Mav?
Currently sitting in head office up in Leeds and it is completely pissing it down!
What time we meeting tomorrow?

How are the greens playing Mav?
Currently sitting in head office up in Leeds and it is completely pissing it down!
What time we meeting tomorrow?

I would guess that the greens will be slower than usual (although how that compares to what you normally play on I would have no idea)

Bit further north in Durham and it is actually sunny with blue skies, but quite cool

If I remember right, there is a post detailing the plans, but it is 8am-ish in the bar area as you go through the main entrance

Yep about 8am in the bar for a quick coffee before we go out sounds good.

Greens have recently had some work done and been dressed so are not currently in the best of conditions, frankly your not going to see the course at it's best but you'll get a good idea of what it could be like in the Summer months.

What ever the case, I am sure we will have a decent round tomorrow, just don't forget your wet weather gear!

Ok no worries, are we all wearing a certain colour so we can find each other :p

Ok no worries, are we all wearing a certain colour so we can find each other :p

If it is so much warmer than up here, I might just be wearing shorts so I will be easy to spot :D

Easiest way will be look for THP cap unless we aren't allowed to wear it in the bar area, I will probably be wearing my orange polo with a white long sleeve base layer underneath

Think I am going to wear my new purple Tiger Shark top :)thumb:) and will bring the rest of my wet gear with me, so I should be reasonably recognisable.

At 8am there's usually 3 or 4 of us in the school there already so head for the bigger group of people and you should be fine.

Cheers,

Mav

See you there guys!
Charlie

Dear oh dear...stop making excuses at each other! Have a quick Jaeger before the off and enjoy yourselves! You will have a cracking time I'm sure.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Do they serve jaeger mav? Might need a few after this sodding journey! Left leeds at 5 and I still have an hour to go! And I still aint got to thr m25 yet!

Hope you guys have a great round tomorrow. Post some pics for those of us here in the Colonies when you have the chance.

Just got to Colchester, it's been a long day....head will be hitting the pillow shortly ready for an early start in the morning

Well???

How did it go guys?

350 yard drive? 220 yard 7 iron? 45 foot putt? Water wedge or two? Decent lunch?

From my perspective, it was tough as I am not used to playing courses as wet as it was on Sunday so there were quite a few bad shots from me, although I still managed to score 31 points for the round (strokes - 95) and this included carding two 8's in the first three holes.....so I can't really complain about the final score even if I didn't think I played all that well

Mav did warn us that the course was a bit sludgy and he wasn't kidding - the fairways felt like they had a lot of water just below the surface which meant no roll-out on drives and if you hit an iron off the tee there was a chance of the ball plugging when it landed, and walking between the green and next tee was a bit like a swamp at times in places. I won't mention the rough other than to say that if you put your ball in there, you would be doing very well to find it and there were a number of times when we were all looking for balls only to eventually find that it was about 2 feet away from where your bag was

Despite this, I would still like to play the course in better weather when it is drier as I feel it would be a totally different experience, especially considering Mav said that there is work planned to improve areas of the course

Highlight of the round for me would have to be the birdie I managed to sneak on the par 5 14th - the tee shot is uphill and blind and I managed to top my tee shot into the slope and just made it to the brow of the hill, with the ball then sitting a good 8-9 inches below my feet I pushed a 4i into the rough on the right side of the fairway at the 150yd marker. For once I had a decent enough lie that I could get the club onto the ball and put a 7i up onto the green and sank the resulting putt from probably about 12ft

Shot of the day for me would have to be the tee shot on the par 4 12th - Mav put his tee shot up the middle of the fairway and scattered the birds a bit so I then took my infamous 3W bomber out of the bag and promptly put it about 20yds past his drive :D

On the 15th (an enormous par 3 of 86yds to the centre of the green), Charlie (BigMcC) managed to hit the pin but unfortunately his ball decided to bounce off the green

All told, thanks to Mav for guiding us round the course and hopefully we can tee it up next year in warmer conditions and maybe get a few more of the southern crowd to join us

Doc,
Thank you for the update.
Sounds like the "damp" conditions provided a bit of a challenge, though your 3W seemed unfazed as usual. By chance, did someone take pictures?

Back