I do it on long par 3's when its at the max distance for a club or when I know I need every bit of the distance for the club in hand and I haven't been striking the ball particularly well.

If anything I think I under club or under swing. It's rare that I over swing or go long. I play a great deal of half and 3/4 shots during any given round, when a full shot may have been a better choice.

This is has been the issue I have been working on over the last 2-3 months. My obstacle is my tempo with my irons and wedges is great, but I struggle with the woods. Getting myself to have smooth swing with the woods and not overswing with them has been a struggle. Will have it for 3-4 holes and then lose it for 1-2 and then get it back. I have a feeling it is something I will be working on for a long time.

Glad this thread got brought back up. I was playing yesterday in windy conditions and after trying to crush one when I wasn't sure if I had enough club and it hooking it way off target, I decided to take an extra club and swing easy. Results were much better.

I used to overswing a lot, not so much now

Tapping from my IPhone

Ever since the third round of the Morgan Cup, I've been much better about understanding problems with my swing don't get better by swinging harder. It's pretty rare nowadays for me to feel I've overswung. If things are going bad, I won't hesitate to take even 2 or 3 extra clubs and hit a 50% or less shot.

I suppose on two of the par 5's at my course. They are pretty inviting, and unless you really slice or hook the ball you will be in good shape even if you miss the fairway. And if I do slice it on one of them, it usually just keeps me from going for it in two (I've only reached the green once, and that time I was over it), and not mess with all the sand traps on the right side of the green and fairway.

How often do you find yourself over swinging rather than taking your normal smooth swing?

Nearly every swing. And I know it, and I'm too stupid to stop it. :banghead:

Since distance is my problem, or rather lack of distance, I find I often swing faster than high school sex. While my brain keeps saying swing smoothly, my body appears to have other plans.

I was struggling with my driver for the first 9 holes during my last round. I was missing both left and right. Made the realization I was over swinging. On the back 9 I made a point to relax and make sure I just took a smooth swing on each tee box. The difference was amazing with nice straight drives about 260 yards down the fairway. I ended up shooting even par on the back 9 and had two makable putts on the last two holes for birdie that I just missed. Actually made both on a second try, so it could have been better. Now to just remember to always swing smoothly on the tee.

Less and less do I find myself over swinging any more, thankfully. I find myself taking a club less and going with a smooth swing more, it's just easier to control. Where I find myself swinging harder is if I'm somewhat in between clubs and have a favorable lie. I'll probably then take less club and swing harder, just depends on the situation, wind, where I am in the round etc.

Thankfully I think these days I'm pretty conservative with my power/swing. Back when I played as a kid I used to swing way over what I do now and guess what, I never had the control or consistency I'm finding these days. Much prefer to keep my tempo and swing nice and mellow and watch the ball go where I want it. (Most of the time...)

It happens to me every so often. Mostly on my tee shots. Especially with the drive in hand.

Way too often. Frustrating thing is knowing how much better you hit it with a smooth swing and yet I revert back to being too quick all too often. Gotta be a mental thing.

I think my normal swing is over swinging lol

Not very often, not saying there isn't times, but mostly I don't. Learned a long time ago, it's easier to take a little more club, choke down a little and swing easier.

It's funny actually, I pull the 3 wood and hit a power fade about 260-270 consistently. I pull the driver and swing out of my shoes and spray it all over. It is a mental thing. I tried taking practice swings with my eyes closed picturing a 3 wood in my hands and it seemed to help but I have only tried that for the last few rounds. I hope this is the trick. My irons are pretty consistent distance wise and I find that when I guess adjustments into the wind I tend to over swing a bit. I don't really know the why, just that I do.

Back