Trying to Break 80 Club

You know, I guess that would fit me and the 78 I shot last year now that I think about it after reading your post. Everything went perfectly right. I shot that before I started using golf shot to keep my scores, but I do remember that almost every chip I hit ended up close to the hole, no big #s or penalty strokes. I think I made 2 birds which helped too. That 78 was definitely several shots below my average range of scores and possibly as good as it could have been.
Fast forward to now, I'm making an average of 1 or 2 more pars per side, feel like I'm playing better, but my handicap is within 1 shot of where it was this time last year, primarily due to the dreaded big number I find about once per side and I have yet to break 80.
I think I need to somehow discount that 78 in my mind and just know that score was a mater of everything going right that day and not the new norm.

Golf is such a funny game...

My PB is a 73 however this weekend I think I had my real PB game and the score was a 77... For the entire round I didn't have a score higher than a bogie, I missed 6 bird putts by less than 1/2 inch and I only had two of what I would call "bad" shots and even those I recovered from... The entire round was a joy of pure ball striking (which messed me up on a few hole because I was getting ~10 extra yards with many of my iron shots)... I can honestly say my 73 was due to a large amount of luck and could have easily been an 80 or higher (a couple lucky bounces off trees back into the fairway, a crazy drive due to an extra 100 yards of cartpath, ect...) , however I feel much better about my recent 77 as I feel it was due to skill.

Shot a personal best this past weekend in Grand Rapids. 75 on a par 68 course. It only plays about 5100 yards, but I was very excited. 1 double, 1 birdie, 6 bogies and 10 pars. It was a rare round where I didn't know what my score was. I was playing my buddy who is going to school to be a PGA pro, or something to that effect, and we were having ourselves a stroke match. When we were done I knew I was 13 strokes, but I didn't realize it was because I shot a 75. That was cool.

It wasn't a long course, but 75 is lowest number I have put on a score card, so it felt great. Followed it up the next day with an 81 and beat my buddy in a playoff. 78 average for the weekend.

77 today! The game is coming back around, and I will probably not be able to play again for over a week.

77 today! The game is coming back around, and I will probably not be able to play again for over a week.

Good stuff. It always feels good to shoot in the 70's.. Keep it going

I've been going the wrong way lately and haven't even sniffed breaking 80 in a couple months. Heck, I could probably go back to the breaking 100 or 90 thread at this point.

Great to know there are others in the same boat I am in. I shot two 80's in August the week before I had some minor knee surgery and am struggling to get back on the low 80 train so I can gun for the 70's. BTW the two 80's were my PB in recent history. I am an over the topper but am slowly getting my lower body going.

Well guys I fell just short again yesterday. I 3 putted the 17th for a bogey, and I lipped out my par putt on the 18th to card an 80. Talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

I played Saturday and I played today. I missed breaking 80 both days, and missed by a total of two shots combined. Ugh!

I played Saturday and I played today. I missed breaking 80 both days, and missed by a total of two shots combined. Ugh!

Still solid rounds there Smalls. Sounds like you're playing well lately.

Still solid rounds there Smalls. Sounds like you're playing well lately.

Thanks, I am playing better. Well, my chipping is what's doing it for me mainly. I really want to write a score that starts with a "7" though!

I need more than 1 round every few weeks to make this happen again! Tired of crap weather & no free time during daylight.
I shot 88 (82 with ESC) playing the front 9 twice recently. 2 blow up holes on each 9. I knocked out 3 birdies in the second nine. Only third time I've had 3 in a round, much less in a nine!

After two consecutive 80's, a 45 on my front nine took care of breaking 80 on Tuesday. Did come back with a 39, which is one off my best nine hole score for an 84.

I have broken 80 twice in my life and that was a 79 about a year and half ago. I finally feel like my game is getting back to where I can maybe take a stab at shooting in the 70's and beat my PB. With these new Apex irons I am testing I feel like they can get me there.

I'm still looking for my first sub-eighty score. I have had sub-forties on both the front and back of my regular course a number of times, but do not seem able yet to string them together yet. I guess the good news is that I seem pretty consistant shooting in the low to mid eighties, but that consistancy also apparently works against me on the lower end.

I'm working on my lob wedge in hopes of tuning those scramble pitches into more easy one putts, and my lag putting to try to eliminate those three putts that start with a long lagg that doesn't come off too well. That and avoiding bonehead shots when I'm in trouble should get me there one of these days.

Yoy'll get there, PJ. Breaking 40 on nine is the first step!

Shot an 85 last weekend. My all-time low round. I've been playing for three years. I had 37 putts, which is silly. Had a triple on a Par 3 and a few double bogeys. Other than that, it was a super consistent round.

Had 6 birdie putts in the 10-20 foot range and only made 1.

Golf is just a HARD game.

So close! Four scores of exactly 80 from the white tees in my last twenty rounds, including today.

79 today!

With a triple on the 8th. Started with a birdie, had another one on the sixth and had a triple on the eight. +4 after 9, +4 on the back 9; we're a par71 :)

Congrats, Floor-is! Your first?

I'm working on my lob wedge in hopes of tuning those scramble pitches into more easy one putts, and my lag putting to try to eliminate those three putts that start with a long lagg that doesn't come off too well. That and avoiding bonehead shots when I'm in trouble should get me there one of these days.
To be honest, once I stopped doing that my scores improved a few strokes.. Now I use anything from the 7iron to the Lobwedge. It depends on the roll I want, where it's safe to land, how far I need to go etc. :)

Smallville: actually no. I break it every once in a while, but need to improve a few things in order to consistently shoot sub80. I once played to a 6-7HCP so I know what it is. (But broke my back and though I'm happy to be able to walk it can be quite frustrating at times.)

My last round out for the year was played at one of the better courses in my area (Red Tail Golf Club - Avon, OH) and my previous best was a 84 at this course, well I hurt my back on the 16th or 17th hole but I struggled to get par and a bogey was sitting on 75 heading into the 18th hole and bombed my drive to 122 yds out and proceeded to blow after that and walked off the green with a 7 for a 82 a new PB on this course but it should of been better.

This was by far my best year of golf as I had 6 rounds under 80 and shot 73 twice for PB scores, I thank THP for this as I never had new equipment and I went all out this year with new G20's irons, RBZ 3wd, Xhot Pro 20* hybrid and Cobra Amp Cell 23* hybrid & Bigger putter grip all made this happen thanks to the knowledge contained on this webste and the awesome advise given by many. Can't wait to see if I can do it again next year !!!!

I don't think I will have any more chances in 2013 to break 80.

On the bright side, I will also finish my first golf year with no three digit scores.

With the membership of a club for the first time in a lot of years, I now have an incentive to play more golf than I did this year and hopefully next year will bring my scores down to the point that I am knocking on the door of my PB (79)

This year has been a mixed bag of mid 80s with some bad rounds in the 90s and one round that actually just hit a triple figure score, so my thoughts are that more golf (and practice) will help my consistency to get the scores heading in the right direction

I finally hit a couple of consistent 89's over the last couple of months. I was hovering at 90/91 for the longest time. Just continue on minimizing the mistakes and keep bringing that number down. Hopefully more 80's to come.

Back