Trying to Break 80 Club

Had a birdie putt for 79 on 18, all be it a long one. Missed it running it about 6 feet past, then missed the par putt coming back, so ended up at 81. Still happy. 40-41 for 81 on a fairly windy day feels pretty good.

Nice try, Alan.

77 today, apart from the first hole everything was working for me. Drives where good, approaches good, chips good. (Fluffed one) Had just one bunker that I totally misjudged though.

77 today, apart from the first hole everything was working for me. Drives where good, approaches good, chips good. (Fluffed one) Had just one bunker that I totally misjudged though.

Nice job!!! Those days are what golf is all about.

Nice job!!! Those days are what golf is all about.
I know, but it felt like I was playing like a wet towel. It was matchplay, with extra strokes for the handicap. I had to play a 24.5 handicap player that shot a low 80's (83 I think), thus playing ±15 shots better then his handicap. To match that I should've played a round of 69 so that 77 feels like a 92.

On the back nine I played +1.. Only bogeyed the second hole. I knew I was playing great, but it just didn't feel that way as the other guy kept making par's and bogeys.

I know, but it felt like I was playing like a wet towel. It was matchplay, with extra strokes for the handicap. I had to play a 24.5 handicap player that shot a low 80's (83 I think), thus playing ±15 shots better then his handicap. To match that I should've played a round of 69 so that 77 feels like a 92.

On the back nine I played +1.. Only bogeyed the second hole. I knew I was playing great, but it just didn't feel that way as the other guy kept making par's and bogeys.

I know anything is possible but a 24.5 cap shooting an 83 is something that shouldn't happen. How on earth are you supposed to compete with that? That really blows.

If it was legit than that is freaking impressive.

I've really enjoyed the stories posted in this thread. I want to throw my hat in the ring and break 80 this year. I made my goal of 85 last year. My goal is to put in the effort on my weaker areas with a vengeance.

I know anything is possible but a 24.5 cap shooting an 83 is something that shouldn't happen. How on earth are you supposed to compete with that? That really blows.

Yeah that seems pretty crazy

I think it wasn't legit. The guy isn't a member at our course, he said he forgot his NGF (Dutch Golf Association) card that displays his handicap too. His mechanics sucked, but I'll be damned if his true handicap is anything over 18. And even then he was playing the round of his life..

I've really enjoyed the stories posted in this thread. I want to throw my hat in the ring and break 80 this year. I made my goal of 85 last year. My goal is to put in the effort on my weaker areas with a vengeance.
Welcome! Hope you can reach your goal :)

drp3434: it's crazy for sure. Come on, I played +1 on the back nine where I get 6 strokes. Lost three holes, won two, halved the others. The two par5's he parred are 510 yards and 600 yards. No 24.5 handicapper should be able to do that, I'm sorry but it should not be possible.

That just flat out should not be possible. Sure, everyone can have a good round from time to time but to play that many strokes under your handicap is exceptionally suspect.

Shot a 79 yesterday! Made some long putts and had 4 birdies, my most ever in a round. Considering the gale force winds and relentless rain I am so happy with it!

Nice job Army!

I played 9 today and shot 39: double bogey on the third :-/

Yet another chance went by yesterday. Shot 38 on the harder front nine at my local course with a birdie and 6 pars. Not a breath of wind. Parred the difficult long par 5 10th. Then unfortunately went on the bogie train, including missing a two footer on 14 for a double. Held it together for a par on 15 with a good up-and-down, but another short put missed on 16 gave me another bogie. Needed pars from the final two holes but loose tee shots let me down and I had to settle for bogies and an 81. Arrrgh!

One day it will happen.

You will get there, Milesy!

79 today, only the second time ever breaking 80 as my pb is 78. Didn't really intend to keep score but I started Birdie - Par so had to after that!

That score was with 2 silly doubles and a burned lip putt for par on the 17th too.

So close yet so far...

38 on the front but then I folded on the back like the Cubs trying to hold onto a division lead in June with a 45.
Oh well, 83 is my second best round ever and I learned a lot from that back 9. There were a whole lot of positives today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So close yet so far...

38 on the front but then I folded on the back like the Cubs trying to hold onto a division lead in June with a 45.
Oh well, 83 is my second best round ever and I learned a lot from that back 9. There were a whole lot of positives today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice try t4k! It'll happen for you this year!

Nice try t4k! It'll happen for you this year!
Thanks! I need to rejoin the club. That 38 was my best 9 ever. It was fun...the game is so easy when you hit fairways and have a little short game going :).

Amost did it fpr the 2nd time in my life today with 81. Pb 79 which happened last year. Shot 40 on the front. Was +2 thru 16 on the back 9 then proceeded to double 17 par 3 and bogey 18 par 4. Missed green on 17, duffed chip, chip again to 7ft then 2 putt. Pull hook off the tee on 18, tried to get cute with a low punch 150 yd approach which resulted in ob, drop for 3 chip to 6 ft then 1 putt. It could have been much uglier if I didnt scramble and putt well today. Also could have shot sub 80 if I could have handled the pressure of knowing I was on the brink...

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

You'll do it a few times this year, kc!

Love seeing all the close scores in here lately. Keep on it guys, you're right there. It will happen soon enough, sound like you've got the game. Can't wait for spring so I can get back to posting up in this thread!

Almost twice in a week today with an 81. I checked my score after the 16th, needed two par 4's to equal this weeks other score and I came up with two bogies. Both down to missing the green with my approach and not pitching close enough for an easily makable putt. Still pretty happy though!

Almost twice in a week today with an 81. I checked my score after the 16th, needed two par 4's to equal this weeks other score and I came up with two bogies. Both down to missing the green with my approach and not pitching close enough for an easily makable putt. Still pretty happy though!
You gotta stop doing this! It's the kiss of death for me!

Right now the only thing holding me back from breaking 80 is a lack of course time, practice, physical ability and some inferior equipment! haha!

Back